upgrading an old pc

ratdog

hello peeps, i need to pick some brains about an old pc i have, everything works except the audio output front and back so i'm guessing it's a fault on the motherboard?, i was looking at replacing that, but they don't make them anymore. it's a H81M-HDS by asrock, i could try second hand but not sure. i'm not used to messing with this but i'm up for a challenge.

is there an easy way to get something similar to upgrade? or will that render all the components useless?

Just now, McHazy said:

just get a soundcard :yep:

i tried that and ended up with a second hand one that wouldn't fit lol

how do i know what to get mate?

• Like 1

now that looks just like something already in there, but it's for the wifi and has a couple aerials on, but it's the only 'socket' i can use, there's only one like it, so could i remove that as i hard-wire any way and just add the sound card?

I assume ye just want sound like it's nae for serious work ?

yes mate, i only use the pc for downloading tv and listening to music

• Like 2

1 minute ago, McHazy said:

If ye dinna use the wifi then aye pull the wifi card out an slot it in there :yep:

sweet, thanks mate :) , i've had this one for ages and love it but because of the problem bought an old dell referb from the local pc shop, but it's shite, been having issues recently.

• Like 2

Just now, unity said:

check the audio isn't disabled in bios.

that shouldn't just happen though, should it?

it's ordered now any way mate, i have hammered the sound system on it so it doesn't surprise me it's failed tbh

i don't know the model as it was built by the pc shop mate

Edited by ratdog

2 minutes ago, unity said:

no it shouldn't, but something's definitely off.  If you look in control panel, can you see the audio properties, volumes mixer etc?

i don't have it wired up atm as i'm using this dell one mate, i will have a look tomorrow but i did go through some things before side lining it and couldn't find anything obvious, to me that is lol

the sound worked through the hdmi lead and out the tele, but just not the speakers

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 1

According to the code you've put you have a socket 1150 chip/motherboard. If you want a new motherboard, search for a new motherboard with said socket.  Is it an intel chip?

Edited by monkeypig
  • Like 2

Just now, monkeypig said:

According to the code you've put you have a socket 1150 chip/motherboard. If you want a new motherboard, search for a new motherboard with said chip.  Is it an intel chip?

Not going to make assumptions on ratdog's pc building knowledge, but if one is unsure onhow to re-fit a pci card, maybe re-assembling a new motherboard might not be the best idea.

If the chipset turns out to be dead, I would have gone down the route of suggesting a usb soundcard - can pick them up for £40 at amazon.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, ratdog said:

bought an old dell referb from the local pc shop, but it's shite, been having issues recently.

The problem wi yer dell is just that :yep:lol

• Like 4