upgrading an old pc

ratdog

well, it arrived about an hour ago, and it's installed, including the software and guess what, it only bloody works! :guitar:

i spoke too soon lol  the sound is fucking awful with video files, and isn't seems to jump around listening to music, i've restarted a couple of times but it's still doing it, it's a sound blaster audigy fx, is it too high spec?

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 5

i woulda run a live distro of linux ..that way you will find out if the hardware actually works before buying new stuff .

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ratdog said:

well, it arrived about an hour ago, and it's installed, including the software and guess what, it only bloody works! :guitar:

i spoke too soon lol  the sound is fucking awful with video files, and isn't seems to jump around listening to music, i've restarted a couple of times but it's still doing it, it's a sound blaster audigy fx, is it too high spec?

Try and find the latest drivers for that model card, for your operating system. Sounds like a software issue.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mugwuffin said:

Try and find the latest drivers for that model card, for your operating system. Sounds like a software issue.

how do you do that mate, it came with software and upgraded it's self

Just now, ratdog said:

how do you do that mate, it came with software and upgraded it's self

Fixing driver issues in windows can be a PITA, especially if you don't have expirience of finding old drivers online. Try downloading a few of the older ones too, as sometimes these can work better.

https://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&subCatID=205&prodID=21690&prodName=Sound Blaster Audigy Fx&subCatName=Audigy&CatName=

That should link to the Audigy FX drivers, operating system is selected at the bottom ;)

• Like 3

Download asio4all and see if that makes a difference? :) If not, try the fresh install of windows. :D 

Edited by Saddam
  • Like 2

I love my Dell refurb - was an absolute bargain tbh 

If it's making sound via the HDMI then it's probably fine and the audio from the sockets is switched off 

I would have advised a usb audio interface too (for the easiest install) - if this doesn't work ....

Find the Control Panel > open up Sound Properties > select speakers 

• Like 1

I lost almost a day last week trying to free up space and update settings ,using mobile hotspot because that's all I need. My keyboard doesn't work. I can't reset the laptop as the onscreen keyboard isn't available in that function. I tried deleting and reinstalling the driver but windows won't accept the Sd card or USB stick and anyway there is nothing else I can delete or transfer .I wiped as much as I know possible. "Next step" icon on windows defender doesn't want to be clicked!

This is so slow. It reminds me of times I've broken a finger.

• Like 2

i just tried to reply and my pc booted me out of uk420 and made me sign back in, that's NEVER happened before lol

i'm guessing it's the computer and it's full of shit?

the card does sound fine with slow music

• Like 3

Fairies, cursed we are. I posted a reply ,it took an age to load/appear , and my laptop shut off with battery life. I thought it died entirely. I have to get the blue screen of death yet, like the others, I suppose. 

• Like 2