upgrading an old pc

ratdog

I had the same thing happen to my old pc, sound went completely, I fitted a different hdd then did a fresh install of windows and it fixed it.  

I can only assume it was a virus it had picked up along the way. 

• Like 2

Just now, monkeypig said:

According to the code you've put you have a socket 1150 chip/motherboard. If you want a new motherboard, search for a new motherboard with said socket. 

you are assuming i know what you are talking about ;) i wouldn't be asking here if i did

Is it an intel chip?

yes.

but if a sound card does the trick why worry about changing everything else that works?

• Like 3

Just now, monkeypig said:

@unity   Mr ratdog did state he was looking to replace the motherboard. 

Ahh, fair do's.  Let's see how this works out, new MB would be a pain in the ass for just an old build.

• Like 3

Just now, McHazy said:

The problem wi yer dell is just that :yep:lol

yeah, the people in the shop have changed since last time i got them to build one for me, this one is my second, but they didn't have fuck all there this time apart from this piece of shite, and local stores don't stock towers so i was stuck, one of the lads was a pompous prick too so i really can't be fucked going back there. the previous guys were very helpful and made what you wanted.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saddam said:

I had the same thing happen to my old pc, sound went completely, I fitted a different hdd then did a fresh install of windows and it fixed it.  

I can only assume it was a virus it had picked up along the way. 

don't say that ffs lol

• Like 3

Very first PC build I did was when I was at my mates it was about midnightish baked tae utter fuck n back n he pulls oot a box o auld bits an a case an said oan ye go I wis fuckin mangled lol 

• Like 4

Just now, ratdog said:

don't say that ffs lol

If you don't care about whatever's on the hdd, try a fresh install. :) Cost you nothing if you have windows on disc or usb stick. 

• Like 2

Just now, ratdog said:

don't say that ffs lol

TBH, it probably wasn't a virus but a corrupted driver :yep:

Edit: Could be the same problem in your case.

Edited by unity
stuff
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, unity said:

Not going to make assumptions on ratdog's pc building knowledge, but if one is unsure onhow to re-fit a pci card, maybe re-assembling a new motherboard might not be the best idea.

If the chipset turns out to be dead, I would have gone down the route of suggesting a usb soundcard - can pick them up for £40 at amazon.

i'm not unsure about messing with it, i've changed hdd's and dvd players etc, but i just ordered the wrong sound card last time and it was money down the toilet, so i'm reluctant to throw more money away so i started the thread :)

if i had realised i didn't need the bloody wifi card i would be golden, i didn't give it a second thought :doh:

the pc is a 'spare' atm so it's ok if i fuck it up

• Like 2

Just now, Saddam said:

If you don't care about whatever's on the hdd, try a fresh install. :) Cost you nothing if you have windows on disc or usb stick. 

Just now, unity said:

Edit: Could be the same problem in your case.

i'll try the sound card first chaps lol

i'll probably be back though lol

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 4

Just now, unity said:

I did try uninstalling all the audio drivers in device manager and reboot but the problem was still there. :( 

• Like 2

after you rebooted did the audio device reinstall itself?  Tried a different set of drivers?

If you try to play some audio, does the application think it's playing OK, or does it give any error?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, unity said:

after you rebooted did the audio device reinstall itself?

Yeah, just let the pc reinstall the drivers itself. The music/audio would appear to be playing fine in Traktor or on YouTube  but outputs were dead.  

Eta - I remember some of the keys weren't mapped correctly either, shift and 8 would give you a question mark instead of an asterisk, for example. 

All fine after the fresh install. 

Edited by Saddam
  • Like 2