Drobe build

green_machine

Hello matey. 

Not sure on chalk tbh. I should think it would be fine but I'm not 100%. I've used it on skirting in bathroom with no bother. But I am not a professional very much a DIY. 

With regard the wac1, i still think this is the best way to go. You will need the fan on to some extent 100% of the time even if its turned right down. This give you maximum independent control, which is what you need.

So it would be best to get an inkbird to control the heat Matt often you can get these from the river site as set pretty cheap. £30?  Both is needed is my 2p.

Good news on @One Tree Horticulture they are also doing the 15% this month! I'll be nipping over to get some bits to!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, green_machine said:

Hey everyone I had a couple of DiY questions which I hoped you could help with.

1) I Was going to start sealing up the cracks on the edges and corners of the drobe, however some of the cracks are a bit large and I was thinking about using some decorators caulk first to fill these in and then sealing with silicone. The tube of caulk I have says it is not suitable for use in high humidity and moisture. Provided I seal this with silicone afterwards would it be ok to use this? or am I better of filling with wood filler first and then the silicone?

2) I was hoping to install the electrics behind one of those false panels on the right hand side of the drobe, I would like to drill a couple of holes into the external brickwork to hang extension leads from, would this be ok to do or do I stand a risk of damaging the external wall? @badbillybob you seemed to know a bit about building bud so I thought I would tag for this.

Last question isn't really a DIY question, but more of an equipment question....

Can anyone recomend a good themostaatic controller that can control a single fan and a heat mat, I was oriiginally going to get a WAC1 to reduce the speed of the fan, but I am also thinking about installing a heat mat and it would be good to have both of these controlled in one unit.

As always thanks for the help everyone.

greenie

1. go with the caulk, then silicone over it, thats what id do. 

2. As long as you dont drill right through it and use the proper plugs for the brickwork, you should be ok. 

no idea on the controller, sorry

• Like 1

Been doing some more work on the drobe this afternoon and ran into a bit of a problem with the electrics, I wanted to check what  was going to do was OK before proceeding, I don't really want to burn the house down lol

The extension cord I was planning on using is a bit too short to go where I want to use it, I do have some spare 3 core wire, could I cut the wire in the extension cord, splice in the aditional wire and then seal both end with some electrical tape? I plan to run the wires under my carpet so I wanted to make sure this isn't a fire risk.

@Joint hogger I believe you are our electrical expert, any advice bud?

Thanks for the help.

greenie

Can you rewire the extension adaptor in instead of connecting two separate lengths of cable ?

if not then make sure the cables are the same thickness, then use something like connector block to join the cables,

making sure the wirings neat & the connector block is securely tightened. 

A wee tip for you, keep all electrics up of the floor & be careful when watering, remember water & leccy doesn't mix  lol

Oh & by the way, Im no expert lol  just lucky enough to pick up some info over the years from a few members who are sparks/engineers.  :yep:

tho tbh, I'm surprised some of the info stuck when you consider the amount of weed I've smoked over the years since finding uk420  :smokin:

• Like 3

Mate just buy some more of the same wire from Wilko they sell it by the M off the roll and you can take 5/10/15m or  whatever and it's cheap. Whip the extension and plug off existing and your golden. 

So I thought I would take your advice guys and try and re-wire the extension section rather than splicing 2 wires together, seemed safer. I have put some pictures below to show what I have. The socket section came with 3 triangular security screws, I was able to get these out using a t7 screwdriver however they have also included these plastic clips and I can't seem to remove these, they have the same things on the plug section. Does anyone know how to open these?

thanks

greenie

large.5fa191c88896a_extensionplugresize.jpglarge.5fa191c7d455e_extensioncordbackresize.jpglarge.5fa191c72ceb0_extensioncordandwireresize.jpg

You basically push in a small flat screw driver to pry the plastic grips open so the cable comes out, the grips are just two bits of plastic holding the cable secure.

• Like 1

I was able to get the extension open after reading joint hogger's advice, but when I could see inside it looked like the end of the wires were soldered on the adapter points, now while I am confident I could probably replace these, it seemed like too much of a risk, in case I made any mistakes, so I eneded up putting the extension back together and swapping it with a longer extension I used on one of my fish tanks. This made the whole process a lot easier and I now have power in the drobe!

The extension wsa run on the outside of the drobe through the top panel.

large.5fa2a7727ab79_electrics1resize.jpg

I took the plug of the other end and passed the wire though a small gap at the bottom of the drobe, there was another wire there already giving me relatively easy access. The other wire there connects to a plug socket in the wall not far from the drobe and is the same socket the extension is plugged into.

large.5fa2a7737a651_electrics2resize.jpg

Once I managed to get the wire to the bottom of the drobe I pulled up the carpet in that corner and fed the line under the carpet and to the wall socket, and then put the carpet back in place. This way you can't see any wires heading to the drobe.

large.5fa2a77470e22_electrics3resize.jpg

I now just need to drill a couple of holes in the external brickwork to hang the extension on, I am not sure if I have any rawl plugs, so I might have to wait on this one, but I so plan to go check my local hardware store in case they have any.

greenie

• Like 1

I also got my intake fans today and I have been pretty impressed with them, thanks for the advice growinggold! At full power the are a bit louder than I would want, but at medium or low they are great!

large.5fa2aad2c31ed_intake1resize.jpg

I had used the dust covers to mark the spots I need to cut in the roof of the drobe, but, it looks like the fans are a bit smaller than the dust covers, luckily I hadn't cut these out yet, so I am going to have to reposition and confirm these before I can cut the space for them out. I have atatched the dust covers and I think these in combination with a light baffle should be fine to stop any light leaking from the veg cabinet into the flower section.

large.5fa2aad3d7e44_intake2resize.jpg

Lastly just a general tip for anyone who is going to try something similar in the future, save the painting for last! I had such a lovely finsih on the painitng I had done but working in the drobe since then has given me all sorts of scuffs, scratches and marks. I am oging to have to go back and give it a 3rd coat of paint once everything is finished.

greenie

• Like 2

Brilliant buddy, glaf you like them. I was impressed. Really can't wait for you to get growing in her promise me u will do a diary 

Edited by growinggold
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 2:06 PM, growinggold said:

Hello matey. 

Not sure on chalk tbh. I should think it would be fine but I'm not 100%. I've used it on skirting in bathroom with no bother. But I am not a professional very much a DIY. 

With regard the wac1, i still think this is the best way to go. You will need the fan on to some extent 100% of the time even if its turned right down. This give you maximum independent control, which is what you need.

So it would be best to get an inkbird to control the heat Matt often you can get these from the river site as set pretty cheap. £30?  Both is needed is my 2p.

Good news on @One Tree Horticulture they are also doing the 15% this month! I'll be nipping over to get some bits to!

Thank you for passing on the discount info @growinggold :oldtoker:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, growinggold said:

promise me u will do a diary 

Of course bud! Any success I have had with growing has all been becuase of UK420! I love sharing my work on here! If I am lucky (and get my sub in on time lol) I hope to be able to grow some of Vic's animal buscuits.

I'm getting excited now, on the home stretch and nearly done, I just need to grab my filter, ducting and then grow supplies nutes, substrate etc, I have the order sitting in my cart on one tree so I am all ready to go. Just need the money to pay for it now lol

atb

greenie

• Like 1

I'm really intrigued on your veg section tbh. I've never had a veg section or taken cuttings and I'd love to see you do this that small space.  What size pots and how many are you looking to run in veg section and your main flower space? 

I've been growing in my little cupboard and now shed 80x80x160. Using 3x 12l fabric pots and getting some decent yields. However next run will be my sweet seeds comp entry and I will look to run 6 different strains in 6.5l plastic pots in shed 80x80? Think this will be okay and enough space?

• Like 1

Yeah not going to lie, the size of the veg cabinet is going to be a challenge lol

If you check out the 'greenie's back in business' link in my sig you can see the size of my last veg cabinet and it was bigger than my entire grow this timelol but needs must and I relly do think in such small spaces you can't waste the time growing from seed, clone and sea of green is going to be the way to go.

I am currently planning on keeping mothers in 2L square pots and clones will probably starty in a slushy cup and then get moved into 1L pots. The flower room will have 4L pots and I hope to fit 6 pots in there. this way going by my normal 1g per watt calulation each plant needs to produce around an ounce to give me 150g which is very doable. I am not sure if this is still valid for LED lights though as some people on here have clearly been getting more than 1g per watt but I guess we will see what happens. There is a chance I might end up flowering in 2L pots as this will allow me to grow 12 plants in my space and make better use of the space I have.

Either way starting from seeds I won't be able to go straight into this, but it shoul dbe ready to go from grow 2 onwards.

atb

greenie

• Like 2

Mate you will easy smash that. I got 1.7pgw last time and I am novice it was my 3rd groe. Wasn't sure if it was the pot size that had bigger effect you see. Not sure what to expect from 6.5Ls I guess I wil find out. I know other such as exhale and BlackpoolBouncer use em. 

• Like 1