Drobe build

green_machine

Hey all,

I started work on my new drobe today. I wasn't going to post the build, but now that I have started I thought maybe it ouwld be better for me to post so I can get advice as I go a long. I have already started some of the work and I don't have pictures of everything I have done yet but I have just started and will be much better at this from now on. This project is going to take a little while so I will update as I am going along.

First off this is the wardobe I am looking to convert (excuse the fish tank and fish pics please, I'm a bit of a fish fanatic!)

large.5f8c2e1edc966_wardroberesize.jpg

The general idea currently, is to use the bottom section for flowering and the top section for a mum or 2 and clones.

First step was to go in and strip everything out of the wardrobe. While I was stripping things out I found 2 false panels in the wardrobe both of which appear to give me access to the outside. My imediate thought was to incorporate this into the build, using one to extract outside and the other as maybe an intake?

This is the bottom panel:

large.5f8c2e1d02efe_bottomexternalaccessresize.jpg

This is the middle access panel:

large.5f8c2e1e1f782_middleexternalaccessresize.jpg

I have gone through and cleaned up both of these holes they are linked I am wondering if I can place the carbon filter in the bottom section and the fan in the middle section this would increase the floor area of my growing space. Will need to have athink on the best way to use this.

Now that everything has been stripped out I am currently sanding everything with some 400grit sandpaper in preperation for painting.

• Like 1

Depending on dimensions those voids look like they might be ideal for housing your extraction and venting to atmosphere! Fantastic find. Will definitely net you more space to play with for sure. Depending on how much space you've got to play with there you might be able to house other items humidifier/dehumidifier oil rad etc etc having more space than you thought you would is never a bad thing.

I would definitely intake from the room though, this will help keep temps more stable especially as we're entering the colder months. Maybe in the warmer months having the option to intake from outdoors might be beneficial.

• Like 2

Been sanding all afternoon and I'm nearly done! Hopefully I will be able to get the first coat of paint on this evening so it can dry overnight.

Thanks for the advice @NezA. Will make sure I am intaking from inside the house and extracting outside, as you said with winter coming this makes the most sense.

Those to panels were an absolute find! I have lived in this house for 20 years and I never knew they were there lol Made me a lot more hopeful about this build! I was orignally going to drill through the floor and extract into the false ceiling below me but this makes everything much easier.

back to work

greenie

• Like 2

Whats behind the Bricks ?

also worth mentioning, good job you didnt go through with your earlier plan to pump your extracted hot moist air behind a false ceiling  lol 

that would lead to problems.

• Like 1

@Joint hogger I am 90-95% sure that the bricks are the outside external wall of the property, directly behind them should be a faux balcony, the ground floor of the house was extended before we purchased it and above the extended section on the first floor they added 2 balconies. I can feel a draft comming from that hole and it was cool air from outside so I know that there muct be external access somewhere there.

That's exactly why I thought it would be better to post my plans rather than just doing them, ideas that seems good in my head, in reality can be quite bad! thanks for the help bud!

greenie

• Like 2

if you go outside the house you will find cavity vents, usually around the bottom courses of bricks. i hope you didnt just knock out  the bricks out of the wall without supporting it above with a lintel of some sort, as the inner wall of the house takes the weight of the roof etc....

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice @badbillybob

I squeezed out of the window onto the balcony (that was a lot easier to do 10 years ago! lol) and around 1.5 - 2 metres away there does appear to be a vent (a brick with a load of holes in it?) I am not planning on knocking any bricks out I guess the hope was I could just vent into the space and the air would disperse naturally to the opening?

greenie

Long day but I got a fair ammount accomplished.

Wardrobe has been stripped, sanded and the first coat of paint has gone on!

large.5f8ccf4a81976_1stcoatofpaintresize.jpg

Gonna give it until tomorrow night to dry and then do the second coat then.

Greenie

• Like 3

A little update on how the build is going, I sorted out the LED light with DIYLEDUK today, so that the first bit of kit purchased, now need to sort out the extraction and filter I will hopefully do that next week.

In the meantime I have continued working on the drobe, I just finished putting on the second coat of paint, it's looking much better but going to wait until it dries tomorrow before deciding on a 3rd coat or not. after the painting is finished I need to fill any cracks and then seal the whole drobe with silicone sealent.

drobe after the second coat of paint:

large.5f8e309ed5671_2ndcoatofpaintresize.jpg

greenie

• Like 5

The second coat of paint has now dried and the drobe is looking pretty good. I started to think about sealing everything when I realised that I am going to have to put an inner door on the drobe to make sure it is completely smell and light proof. I also want to put a lock on it, my nephew is around a fair ammount and don't want him stumbling on it accidently.

I have some spare wood about so this shouldn't be a big issue, first thing first is to get a frame ready, I just finished measuring everything out, not sure if I will cut it today or tomorrow now. I will update with pics as I get the work done. Once the door is done I will have to give that a couple of coats of paint and then proceed to seal everything with sealant.

atb

greenie

Sorry for the lack of update on this build everyone, but I took a few days of as it was my Birthday on Friday!

Back working on this today and will try and get an update posted tonight! The door has all been cut out now and I want to paint it before attaching it to the drobe.

My new light arrived last week and I hope to head out tomorrow or tuesday to grab my filter, fans and other things, just trying to plan it all out at the moment.

greenie

• Like 2

This is the door I have been working on, it is a bit of a bodge job, I just used some bit and bobs I had around the house but it seems ok. There is a bit of a crack on the top left corner of the door, I am going to use some wood glue to glue a support strip across this, hopefully this will stop the door falling apart to soon.

large.5f967ea1bd4c3_Door1resize.jpg

Greenie

• Like 3

I wasn't to happy with the mis-matched hinges o my door so I took a walk down to my local hardware store this morning and picked up some new matching steel hinges at the same size as the smaller copper hinge I already had.

large.5f96a734eb4a0_hingesresize.jpg

I think I will now use 3 hinges along the right side of the door, hopefully this will make things a bit more secure. While there I also saw a small 16mm Camlock which seemed perfect for the lock onthe door, so I picked that up as well.

large.5f96a735da806_camlockresize.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with installing locks? I've never done it before and I am not too ure what I need to do with this....... I'm sure youtube will help, so gonna go have a look and see what I can find.

greenie

Good work mate. I was going to say u might need matching hinges. I should two would be fine of you have a decent screw and timber to fox to. 

Regards the lock I think you will need to drill a hole the size of the barrel, and it's will fix like a sandwich around the door. You tube will see you right. It's very easy don't worry. 

I used regular kitchen door hinges on my cupboard and Armstrong hidden card sensor lock with my cupboard. I wanted it look like a normal panel no handle or anything. So I have credit card i run on the panel and it pop the lock and opens its magic. 

Edited by growinggold
  • Like 1