Drobe build

green_machine

I hadn't really thought about putting the veg section at the bottom, going to have a think about this and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks for the suggestion @Herbsman

greenie

• Like 1

I finished painting everything last night! No pictures, cause, let's face it everyone has seen enough pictures of painted wood lol but everything is ready to be installed now and then I can seal everything up with silicone.

I had a long think about putting the veg cabinet below the flower room, and while I do think this would be a good idea and a great way to help keep the flower room warm, I am not sure if it will work in this situation, my main concern is esase of access, I would prefer to have easy access to the flower room, so I can check everything in there daily, whereas the veg room I could probably get away with checking every 3 days or so. In case I change my mind on this I did decided to go ahead and light proof the top cabinet, making a frame to go around the door, the same way I did for the bottom drobe. This way in the futre I can always swap things round if necessary.

I am going to use a combination of wood glue and screws/nails to fix the frame, the wood glue to act as a seal to stop leaks and the screws/nails to give supoort and strength. Does anyone have any advice on if it owuld be better to use screws or nails? Nails makes the process much easier, but I assume screws would be a stronger option?

Also a bit unsure if I should add the hinges and door before attaching the frame it woul dmake it a bit easier postioning these as one piece I think, but I am worried about how I would support the door while attaching the frame.

I am going to wait until tomorrow to make sure all the paint is dry before atatching everything.

atb

greenie

I thought it was time to update this, work has been progressing on the drobe fairly steadaily, I have managed to get the internal frame up and am close to having decided on what equipment I need to purchase from One tree.

This is the internal frame once it was finished. It is strong and secure and completely sealed.

large.5f9c4fce22037_Frameresize.jpg

I started off using nails to secure the frame but although the first couple went in ok it got pregressively harder to hammer the nails in, so I ended up just getting the dril out and screwing the frame in. This gave a much better finish. I am going to go back and dremmel off the compromised nails so everything is flush.

large.5f9c4fca4879d_frameattachmentresize.jpg

In addition to the screws, there is also a bottom layer of wood glue, I wanted to remove the possiblity of any aire leaks comming though the frame. This does look a bit messy at the moment, but once it is dry I will go in with an electric sander and tidy everything up.

large.5f9c4fcb3e7b9_frameglueresize.jpg

There was one section of the frame which was damaged and this has a secondary strip of wood glued and screwed in place o make sure everything is sealed.

large.5f9c4fcc1a4df_framerepairsresize.jpg

Lastly the hinges have been added to the door panel and it is ready to go on, but I want to seal the internal sections with silicone before adding this as the door will restrict some of my mobility in the drobe once it is on.

large.5f9c4fc970201_Doorhingesresize.jpg

I now need to go and add the frame to the top veg cabinet to make it light proof and smell proof it and then seal that with silicone as well.

I am fairly certain I am going to end up going for a 4" rvk and matching carbo air filter for my extraction, however, I read a review on the black orchid fan that I was planning on using for my intake which said it was very loud and I don't particularlly wan't to waste my money on something that I can't use. I am now wondering if I can get away with just passive intakes for both the veg and flower chambers?  any suggestions here would be most welcome.

atb

greenie

Edited by green_machine
  • Like 4

Mate if you can order you stuff from one tree today or tomorrow o think the 15% discount now only this month and 10% next

• Like 2

thanks for the heads up mate, I think I am going to miss this months discount but I hope to get next months with one tree.

I am not too worried about the rvk noise level, I was more worried about that black orchid intake fan I was planning on buying, I read a review where someone said it was louder than their main extraction fan, so I am not sure it is worth the money, and I have been wondering if I can just get away with passive intakes?

atb

greenie

• Like 1

On my little cupboard I ran a large pc fan intake off the river website. It was called a ELUTENG 12V/1A USB Fan Silent 120mm Fan 3 Speeds Adjustable PC Fan Portable Desk Fan. It seemed to do the job they also do a double fan version too. Was actually pretty powerful tbh.

• Like 1

On 18/10/2020 at 10:02 PM, green_machine said:

Thanks for the advice @badbillybob

I squeezed out of the window onto the balcony (that was a lot easier to do 10 years ago! lol) and around 1.5 - 2 metres away there does appear to be a vent (a brick with a load of holes in it?) I am not planning on knocking any bricks out I guess the hope was I could just vent into the space and the air would disperse naturally to the opening?

greenie

You could blow smoke/vapour through to check it is the right channel.

• Like 1

If you go down the PC fan route I'd recommend getting a higher powered server grade fan these are used in enterprise level hardware and are designed to run 24/7 which means in the long run they should be more reliable. They also pack more of a punch but are usually pretty noisey. I picked up a pwm fan speed controller, also available from the big river bookshop look for ARCELI Low Voltage DC Motor Speed Controller.

• Like 1

@growinggold @NezA

Sorry to bug you guys but I have been thinking about your suggestion of a pc fan instead of passive and I think this is the way I am going to go on this and I needed a bit more advice please. I have seen some AC Infinity cooling fans on the big river, they are the - Ac infinity multifan S7 120mm USB fan. These come as a dual pack so I get 2 fans, they also have a controller that lets me control the speed. The fans are rated at 104CFM but I am unsure if this is per fan or for both fans combined.

I was thinking I could set one into the base of the veg chamber to pass air from there into the flower room and the other could be set in the back panel of the veg chamber to draw fresh air in. Do you guys think this would work? Also seeing as they are USB could I use just a normal USB plug to connect these or would I need to re-wire them.

Thanks for the help

greenie

Just to add looking at some of these fans they seem pretty powerful, is it possible to use a cooling fan for my extract as well? I mean I would have to probably upgrade the fan but could it pull enough air from the carbon filter to make it worth while or am I better off sticking with an RVK?

Edited by green_machine
add another question

You 100% need the rvk and filter. 

Regards the dual USB fans I think that idea could work. Yeah a USB plug fine. I see them as more to get the air moving half a step up from a passive but no where near the rvk speed wise

Edited by growinggold
  • Like 1

I did a bit more research on the PC fans yesterday, it seems that the ac infinity fans I mentioned above are only 5v and this can lead to the fans being a bit weaker, I decide to go with the same ones you had used @growinggold and I ordered the dual Eluteng 120mm 12v 1A fans, I spent the extra and got the set with the power adaptor so these should be good to go. I also ordered the fan dust filters that can be added to these, I hope this will make light proofing a bit easier.

I am currently thinking about setting both fans into the roof of the flower chamber (the floor of the veg chamber) blowing air downwards past my light and into the plants and will rely on passive intakes on the veg section back panel to bring fresh air in.

Hopefully these should be here before lockdown, I am also going to have to check if one tree can still deliver during lockdown, otherwise I might be stuck waiting to finish off this build.

atb

greenie

• Like 1

I have managed to get some more done on the drobe, the new PC intake fans should be here tomorrow or on wednesday so I needed to mark up where I was fitting these, so I can get the wood cut and ready. I wanted to get the light hung as well so I could plan out the best position for the fans and seeing as the light was hung I figured I might as well test the new light and see what it is like when on.

large.5fa02da5537bd_Lighttestresize.jpg

The light loooks really good, much brighter than I thought it would be, it also looks like i have plenty of cord so I can run everything through the outside of the drobe.

large.5fa02da6579f8_lightfittingresize.jpg

Tghe light is attached with 4 hooks and some jack chain, each length is 1M so I have plenty of space I can play around with. The square panels are where I think I will place the intake fans, I am going to try and cut these out tomorrow, I will use a hole cutter saw to give me a couple of entry points and then use a jigsaw to cut everything out.

I have also been trying to decide what fan I want to use for my extract, so I went to a grow shop today to check out some options, I tried the RAM fan I mentioned earlier and it was far to loud for me, The RVK wsa much softer. I was going to leave after trying these but I think the guys at the shop really wanted a sale  so when I said the RVK was a bit too expensive for me they offered to discount it to just under £60. This seemed like an absolute bargain, so I grabbed a 4" RVK today as well. I still need to get the carbon filter and ducting to go with this, but I think I will get that from One tree. along with my nutes and other bits and bobs I need.

atb

greenie

• Like 4

Hey everyone I had a couple of DiY questions which I hoped you could help with.

1) I Was going to start sealing up the cracks on the edges and corners of the drobe, however some of the cracks are a bit large and I was thinking about using some decorators caulk first to fill these in and then sealing with silicone. The tube of caulk I have says it is not suitable for use in high humidity and moisture. Provided I seal this with silicone afterwards would it be ok to use this? or am I better of filling with wood filler first and then the silicone?

2) I was hoping to install the electrics behind one of those false panels on the right hand side of the drobe, I would like to drill a couple of holes into the external brickwork to hang extension leads from, would this be ok to do or do I stand a risk of damaging the external wall? @badbillybob you seemed to know a bit about building bud so I thought I would tag for this.

Last question isn't really a DIY question, but more of an equipment question....

Can anyone recomend a good themostaatic controller that can control a single fan and a heat mat, I was oriiginally going to get a WAC1 to reduce the speed of the fan, but I am also thinking about installing a heat mat and it would be good to have both of these controlled in one unit.

As always thanks for the help everyone.

greenie