1st Grow Comp, Sweet seeds (2020-2021) “Tropicana Poison FV” F1.

57north

Hello @57north 

Just popped in to say hi and wish you well on this journey my friend.

I was going to run the Tropicana myself but had to change plans, So it will be great to tag along and see what these bring :yep:

:hippy:

• Like 2

On 15/11/2020 at 10:41 AM, Resonance said:

Hello @57north 

Just popped in to say hi and wish you well on this journey my friend.

I was going to run the Tropicana myself but had to change plans, So it will be great to tag along and see what these bring :yep:

:hippy:

Thank you, very much appreciated my friend. This strain has been a pleasure to run so far, I really look forward to watching the flowers develop now! I wish you the best with your grow and I’ll be sure to check out your diary if your in the comp! All the best mate :skin_up:

On 16/11/2020 at 11:20 AM, Clumsy said:

Great start here, nice diary and pics, 

Good luck with competition

:oldtoker:

Thank you very kindly. I did miss a bit of development unfortunately as you will see from my next update which will be today but everything is going as expected and I’m very happy with the strain. Happy growing and stay lifted :skin_up:

• Like 1

Update to come later today people!

apologies for the bit of time I missed, the plants will look a lot different from my last update and all 4 are in flower. 

Speak soon 

57North!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tropicanna Poison FV F1

Day - 40 from seed.

Update - 4 (Fizzy Pink Buds!).

large.4FD3562A-036B-499E-91C7-A8A2463B3E8E.jpeg

Hello and welcome back to my diary, I hope you and your plants are all well! 

So as you have probably noticed, I did miss a few weeks of plant growth unfortunately. Not to worry however, the plants are coming along just fine.

The two images below I took previously, just to give you an idea of what has been missed. 

large.708D9DF2-10E4-43F1-9FB1-3383FF597FD1.jpeglarge.69FF155D-E346-4387-8F9B-C7EADC6CFB33.jpeg

I will now add some images which were captured as of yesterday.

large.49A74A11-18A9-4CDE-BADB-2C66C0CFD359.jpeg

Plant #1 has been tallest of all 4 plants throughout this grow, It is only just marginally taller than plant #2 however! This plant is the only plant from all 4 displaying green coloured flowers.

large.41F38D9A-F565-43FB-8646-6D27F5936206.jpeg

Plant #2 is very similar to that of plant #1, the only difference being that #2 is displaying beautiful fizzy pink coloured flowers opposed to the green flowers of plant #1.

large.27BFC6AD-F09D-47C7-BCFB-A24F0FC5CCDB.jpeg

Plant #3 is the shortest from all 4 plants. It is very similar to that of plant #4. This plant also displays beautiful fizzy pink flowers.

large.CAF3FC26-5532-4718-B707-E52E7200D379.jpeg

Plant #4 is very similar to that of plant #3 but this plant is marginally taller now and has the tightest internode spacing from all 4 plants. This plant also displays a beautiful fizzy pink coloured flowers.

The phenotype variation I have found so far are as follows:

• Medium to tall plant with well spaced internodes displaying green flowers. (Plant #1)

• Medium to tall plant with well spaced internodes displaying pink/purple flowers. (Plant #2)

• Short plant with close internodes displaying pink/purple flowers. (Plant #3 and #4)

I presume that there would also have been a short phenotype displaying green flowers with tight internode spacing should I have popped more seeds. 

I do feel #1 and #2 are identical phenos other than flower colour.

I also feel #3 and #4 are very close in terms of being identical phenotypes.

In terms of the full aromatic differences of each plant, i will not know until the plants become further matured but from just the stem rub alone, plants #1, #2 and #3 all have the same sweet skunky aroma. Plant #4 however is very different, It smells very tropical and it is extremely pungent, the smell of mangos and papaya are very prominent. I did say plant #4 from the offset was the plant I was excited for.

There has only ever been one other plant which has gave me a stem rub aroma like that of plant #4 and that was a Mango Thai landrace plant. It turned out to be a hermi and I unfortunately had to cull it (devastation). I do wonder if plant #4 is a common tropicanna poison pheno or is it more of a 1 in 100 outlier. 

Due to growing 12-12 from seed I couldn’t really take a cutting from plant #4 but I would have loved to.

At this stage I am very impressed with the Tropicanna Poison strain from Sweet Seeds. If you want tropical pink/purple fizzy flowers then you will be sure to find them here.

Plant Health.

I’m terms of the overall health of the plants there has not been any major issues.

It is my first time using living soil and the plants have received only water up until week 1 of flower, at this point I could see the leaves loosing their vibrancy, looking a bit peely wally as we would say.

Plant #1 was the first to ask for food but I could see that all 4 plants required it. At one point I was raising my light daily, the plants are vigorous and hungry. 

If I had done a re pot into larger pots I may not have had to introduce any food yet.

After only one dose of microbial tea I can see a big difference in the plants, they seem very vibrant again. 

I am back to feeding just plain water again and I will likely give the plants a top dress or tea once per week for the remainder of the grow. 

I dare say big pots are the way to grow with living soil but I am sticking with my 1 gallon pots, it’s just too late for transplanting these plants now. 

In terms of growing technique, it has always been 12-12 from seed and as basic as possible, no topping, scrogging, super cropping etc going on here.

I did remove some lower undeveloped branches at week 1 of flower along with a few leafs as you can see below. The reason for this is due to the lack of penetration from small hps lighting, removing the lower branches that will not reach optimum light allows the plant to better utilise energy so rather than wasting energy on flowers that won’t make the cut the energy can instead be focused to the flowers which are placed well. 

large.588D0361-CF21-4460-8871-E90B4FB8A919.jpeg

Today I am swapping the 150w hps for a 250w hps, the plants seem like they have stopped stretching now so this should really help the flowers start stacking up.

I will be back soon with more info and I will spend a bit of time checking over your diaries and wishing you well between times.

Happy growing people and peace out for now!

large.4FD3562A-036B-499E-91C7-A8A2463B3E8E.jpeg

Edited by 57north
  • Like 10

46 minutes ago, growinggold said:

Good luck buddy love your backgrounds. 

Thank you. Things haven’t really went to plan in terms of not getting the re-pot done and missing some time from the diary but I suppose 2020 itself did not go to plan for many people across the globe. 

I am however very happy with this strain, I’m getting a GSC smell from one of them now too, I can only imagine the aromas from the end result. 

Even the colour of the buds,I’ve had purple buds, I’ve had blue buds, I’ve had green buds but I have never had buds this shade of pink. The only way to explain it would be by calling it a fizzy pink and I think it is only going to get fizzier :skin_up:

I think I will be growing a lot of this strain in the coming years. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ccs141 said:

cant wait to see pink buds and the moonriocks and hash

Thanks, I’m looking forward to this also.

I will likely use the green colour plant for the the Happy Honey and rosin,

2 red/pink plants with most bag appeal will stay in the cured bud form,

and the last red plant will go into hash and moonrocks. 

That is if all goes to plan but I don’t see why not.

Stay lifted and happy growing :skin_up:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, vince noir rock n roll star said:

blimey ..what a diary

Thank you, wishing you well with your grow. 

Stay lifted and happy growing

:skin_up:

• Like 2

Starting to see some nice resin production now, the next update will be at Day 50 from seed!

Happy growing people! :skin_up:

large.4D58997D-CB10-499F-ABB2-1A3D11ABFEA6.jpeglarge.51589A44-148E-44BF-B416-938E5CF3DB51.jpeg

• Like 9

9 hours ago, jadenugs said:

Interesting diary so far mate, nice start. Hope the grow goes well and good luck in the comp :yep: 

Thanks kindly Jadenugs! 

I need a bit of practice with this living soil malarkey. My yield may suffer as a direct impact of this, but the quality should be top. (Quality is far more important than weight for my needs).

Biggest mistake for using living soil. “Using small pots”, I will likely use 15-20L pots in the future. 

I have to say tho I am very happy to have found this strain from Sweet seeds, buzzing in-fact! 

I will be buying more of these seed packs from Sweet seeds and I will be looking to find a mother plant next year for clones. I will be looking for something similar to that of plant 3 or 4, a nice short single cola of beautiful fizzy pink bud. 

Thanks for stopping by and wishing wishing you well my friend! 

:skin_up:

• Like 3