1st Grow Comp, Sweet seeds (2020-2021) “Tropicana Poison FV” F1.

57north

TROPICANNA POISON FV F1!

DAY #3

UPDATE #2 (Potting up!)

Welcome back to the diary people, This is where we are at on day 3 of this grow.

large.720DC6FD-7D36-41CC-8B29-2850423B95A5.jpeg

Above you can see that the seeds have now produced little white root tails, time to pot! 

large.AF3846E3-6BE6-4726-9E81-D8211FD942D7.jpeg

After removing the seeds from the water, I placed them on some wet tissue paper.

large.F40AB6B9-5E8C-477A-A264-78767779CA78.jpeg

From here I was able to gently pick them up and transplant directly into the 3.8L root pouches.

large.113A2706-B1E6-4A0D-92FD-F56468B3C1F6.jpeg

Above you can see the seed resting in the soil with the root tip downwards, I then partially covered the seed with soil but not completely. (Please note the soil was pre watered before transplanting the seeds).

large.6395A25D-677B-4A08-9B65-EFCD9E24B44E.jpeg

I have opted to use fabric root pouches this time around opposed to the plastic air pots. There are two reasons for this decision, firstly I don’t like the fact that the air pots have such large holes at the bottom of them, soil always falls out creating a mess in the grow room which needs cleaned constantly. The second reason is that the plastic bottoms on the pots can be fairly sharp and with pot movement or spinning the pots it wears or tears the floor of the grow tent. 

Below is the x4 Tropicanna Poison seeds potted up in the tent. We have a plant in the middle but that will be  coming down tomorrow morning before lights on. It’s a cross I made with (Blueberry x Skunk#1) x (NL x Lowryder). I won’t go on about that tho, we are here for the Sweet seeds genetics which I am stoked for!

large.4A54ACC6-E1D7-4DC9-AF13-CFDB50AA10C3.jpeg

Below are the images of the nutrients I will be using for this grow. I have always used biobizz nutrients but time to spread my nutrient wings and explore something different.

large.7550FDE5-DCB9-47A1-A6BC-3D088F6D5450.jpeglarge.CAB1E23F-5D27-4943-AE50-B306524BC57A.jpeglarge.B0FF2187-016B-47EA-9F8B-65BB655E00C5.jpeglarge.7FBAA90F-1FAA-43A5-A0C3-5F8DD4A5FB9C.jpeg

Anyway, that sums things up for now! I will be back for another update soon and until then “Happy Growing” and “Good Luck” to all!

:skin_up:

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure the life cycle had the charge innit already if you want to save money in the future dude. Ive been having good results myself with the life cycle and biosys, I managed about 6 7 weeks in a 15litre pot (300g added) before having to give any feed. If you have a big enough pot it will probably be good for the whole run.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AustrianToker said:

Looking good so far.   i wonder how this strain will respond to the 12/12 light from the start.  Good luck! :v:

Thank you mate. I look forward to finding out, but so far so good. The seedlings definitely seem happy. :skin_up:

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Pretty sure the life cycle had the charge innit already if you want to save money in the future dude. Ive been having good results myself with the life cycle and biosys, I managed about 6 7 weeks in a 15litre pot (300g added) before having to give any feed. If you have a big enough pot it will probably be good for the whole run.

That’s correct the life cycle is already pre charged, i didn’t think I would need the charge but it’s so inexpensive it made sense to grab a tub along with my order for future use.

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

A cover crop like clover is also a good idea if your going down the organic/no till/living soil route.

I did look into the cover crop idea and it is certainly something I would like to try. I may yet add a cover crop when I do the repot. Thanks for tips mate, most appreciated and I will keep an eye on your living soil grow. 

Stay lifted and happy growing to all! 

• Like 4

On 10/31/2020 at 3:07 PM, 57north said:

Thank you mate. I look forward to finding out, but so far so good. The seedlings definitely seem happy. :skin_up:

That’s correct the life cycle is already pre charged, i didn’t think I would need the charge but it’s so inexpensive it made sense to grab a tub along with my order for future use.

I did look into the cover crop idea and it is certainly something I would like to try. I may yet add a cover crop when I do the repot. Thanks for tips mate, most appreciated and I will keep an eye on your living soil grow. 

Stay lifted and happy growing to all! 

Good growing mate ill be following.

• Like 4

Hi dude best of luck with your latest grow, and in the competition. I'll be interested in seeing your results of 12/12 from seed. Should suit your space well :yinyang:

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Openairbud said:

Hi dude best of luck with your latest grow, and in the competition. I'll be interested in seeing your results of 12/12 from seed. Should suit your space well :yinyang:

Thanks, much appreciated. They seem to be enjoying the light schedule thankfully and I think they will do just fine in this space. Happy growing :skin_up:

• Like 2

TROPICANNA POISON FV F1!

DAY #13 

UPDATE #3 (Beans to Greens).

Hello and welcome back to my grow diary!

Please note that this is “Day 13 from seed” and not “seedling”. I know for a lot of people day 1 would be when the seedling penetrates above the soil. 

However i do prefer to count day 1 from the day the seed is prepared for germination, ie placed in water. This gives a better indication of seed to harvest timeframes. I have seen old or poorly stored seeds take almost 2 weeks to germinate. The reason behind this 9/10 times is that the seeds have had to use up some of their stored nutrients in order to survive temperature changes etc. I think it’s important to record seed to harvest timeframes as some banks are putting out really old or poorly stored stock and it could set you back an extra week or two. Extra thick seed shells can hold you back too especially on old seeds. 

Please note however, these “Sweet seeds” seeds were perfect in every way for rapid, healthy germination!

These images were taken yesterday but here they go. (plants have been numbered 1 to 4, with 1 being the first to rise and 4 being the last. 

large.A44B4C95-79D5-4AB5-A53C-CA25083F634C.jpeg

large.6E70C073-250F-41A6-AB8C-E2D61248BC9F.jpeg

large.956705C5-85A9-4C64-85CF-B3A6975A928A.jpeglarge.076E8C0B-8A47-40E3-9403-FA0287C00FBC.jpeg

Seedlings 1-3 are almost identical with 1 being a slightly taller. The internode spacing on 1 is the greatest, 2-3 have identical spacing and 4 is extremely tight with very little internode spacing. 

Other than internode spacing it is very hard to tell seedlings 1-3 apart, you could say like identical triplets with one slightly taller.

Seedling 4 however is very much different to the rest being very squat, shorter and displaying fatter leafs. These leafs are somewhat wrinkled. I have to say I am most excited for #4. Here’s another look at her:

large.DE636767-E118-4DC3-933A-CCE3B70D82EE.jpeg

So there you have seedlings 1-4, all of which germinated very quickly and all of which seem very happy. They have all been fed nothing but distilled water. Here’s them lined up below:

large.77717D3A-2D17-420D-8F95-91AB4913E374.jpeglarge.D7FAC9B8-2689-46D2-B50E-32DCF28D9066.jpeg

I would like to also also touch on pot size for seedlings. I know many people like to germinate in a small cup size pot and then transplant after approximately 6 leafs develop. It’s something I had always done previously and if I ever had a stretcher I could just pot it deeper upon transplant and if one failed to germinate it was not a waste of space of soil.

This time however I just went straight into 1 gallon pots and I’m not going to lie the seedlings are the happiest seedlings I have seen in a long time.

I had the 150w hps fairly close to prevent over stretch and once the first adult leaves appeared I could take the light back a bit as the plants main focus now has changed from stretching (light hunting) to leaf development.

Anyway I do wonder to myself if small pots do restrict seedling growth from the get go, maybe slow the metabolism. I wonder when the roots hit the bottom and sides of the cup does it slow down or send signals to the plant resulting in dwarfed or slowed down seedling growth. I mean the sort of signals where it would be telling the plant, this is what you have to work with, you cannot get too big as you will die, or maybe less severe saying you will grow too big for your environment. Kind of like how fish grow to a size of which their tank allows them to grow. 

Not to get get too caught up thinking about all of that but I will likely use gallon pots for future seedlings now to see if there are any benefits. I also suppose it saves re potting a young plant which could be risking a short period of the seedling being stunted. 

I know this is my Sweet seeds Grow diary and don’t really want to talk about other strains but I like to crack some extra seeds here or there to see if anything special turns up. Like a shiny hunt with Pokemon or football cards haha. Anyway, here are some images comparing some seedlings which were germinated in small plastic cups in comparison to gallon pots.

The strain is mighty grape from freedom of seeds. Please note the mighty grape  are also around 4 days older than the “Sweet Seeds” Tropicanna Poison seedlings which adds to thee extent or difference.

large.E90606BB-4123-4979-B687-50E2B15C5080.jpeglarge.2215289E-F38D-41A6-9CC0-15C5297308E2.jpeglarge.0F1F6D1C-04E6-4C50-B5ED-00C673878D64.jpeg

So as you can probably tell the difference is fairy significant, even the stem thickness is significantly larger with the “Sweet Seeds” Tropicanna Poison.

As I touched on before the seed quality could play a big factor behind this, perhaps the grape seeds were exposed to fluctuations in temperature or humidity and used up lots of their vital stored nutrients in order to survive. Perhaps the seed were harvested too late resulting in excessive seed shell thickness, perhaps they were harvested to early or perhaps the pot size does play a factor, who knows. One thing I do know at this point is that the “Sweet Seeds” Tropicanna Poison seeds are superb quality and show lots of F1 vigour with great stability.

This sums up the diary for this week but I will be back soon for another update.

I do apologise about the image quality, I am using an old mobile camera which is not great but I will be sure to improve quality during flower. 

I would also like to quickly mention that I am using nothing fancy here in terms of growing techniques, equipment or nutrients. I am running the proper basics here with bare minimum effort with the tent being “in a cupboard”.  

The end results might not be mind blowing but it will hopefully give some kind of indication to what can be achieved by a first time grower, or grower who just wants to keep things to a bare minimal. 

Until next time, stay lifted, Happy growing and good luck. I will be sure to check out all of your diary’s in due course. 

• Like 10

Very nice start @57north. You are well organized with a good plan, and some happy and healthy plants. Basic and bare minimum, perhaps, but you've got all the essentials covered for a good grow. I'm very interested in your results with 12/12 from seed.

I have grown with HPS in a DR60 previously, which was 160cm so slightly more headroom but same footprint as yours. I found 250w to be ideal for flowering in that space, a good bit better than 150w. I would definitely consider swapping yours in once they start getting side branches, especially since we are now going into winter so hopefully there should be no heat problem. 150w should be great to start them with though, and no doubt you can use it through to the end and get a good result - you'll just probably get a bit more if you swap.

Best of luck with the grow :yep:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, delagdo said:

Very nice start @57north. You are well organized with a good plan, and some happy and healthy plants. Basic and bare minimum, perhaps, but you've got all the essentials covered for a good grow. I'm very interested in your results with 12/12 from seed.

I have grown with HPS in a DR60 previously, which was 160cm so slightly more headroom but same footprint as yours. I found 250w to be ideal for flowering in that space, a good bit better than 150w. I would definitely consider swapping yours in once they start getting side branches, especially since we are now going into winter so hopefully there should be no heat problem. 150w should be great to start them with though, and no doubt you can use it through to the end and get a good result - you'll just probably get a bit more if you swap.

Best of luck with the grow :yep:

Thanks for such a warm reply. That’s right the essentials are there to give the plant more than adequate life so I’ve no excuses haha. I do hope for a nice tasty harvest coming into the new year.

The 250w for flower is definitely playing on my mind, I more than likely will introduce this on week 1 of flower. 

If things get too much for the tent I may have to take out the 1m x 1m tent with some extra lighting but for now the aim is to stick to the plan with the 60 x 60.

Thanks for tuning in and happy growing brother.

• Like 2

Day 20 from seed in hand and we have pistils showing on plant #4.

I did say that I was most excited for plant #4 at the beginning!

The fact that #4 was different attracted my attention right away.

I just thought that i would drop that in there and I will get the next update done tomorrow “day 21 from seed”.

Until then peace out, and happy growing!

large.087229EE-873B-4B95-8B98-6D0491B888EF.jpeg

• Like 7

Congrats brother, especially for a first, your setup looks very well planned and put together!

Solid start &I can't wait to see how the TP works out :skin_up:

P&L

Flav

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ccs141 said:

looking nice man we did tp outside this year wish we had put it in sooner nice buds that cone of them good luck

Thanks mate. I sure look forward to trying the flower. Happy growing my friend. 

19 hours ago, Flavoured_ said:

Congrats brother, especially for a first, your setup looks very well planned and put together!

Solid start &I can't wait to see how the TP works out :skin_up:

P&L

Flav

Thanks mate appreciated. Not a first timer grower but it is my first time running a proper grow diary. I feel it has motivated me somewhat.

Happy growing my friend!