Inkbird Environment Control Automation - VPD Made Easy!

NezA

1 hour ago, Slippy One said:

Using inkbirds for humidity seems fine until you factor in the additional costs of a humidifier and dehumidifier, additional wiring, a few hours of programming, trying to figure out whats's up with calibration between your heat inkbird vs your humidity inkbirds, RO or deionized water costs for the dehum etc etc.

...When your fan can take care of humidity by precise speed control for less money, less wires, less electricity sockets..

Don't work harder folks

Not always the case though. I need a humidifier running in veg and then when the tent is full the RH is 70% in flower so I need a dehumidifier even with an exhaust running 

• Like 1

Just now, Dapex said:

Not always the case though. I need a humidifier running in veg and then when the tent is full the RH is 70% in flower so I need a dehumidifier even with an exhaust running 

Then you need a better fan with a better controller.  :yep:

23 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Then you need a better fan with a better controller.  :yep:

Ok. So how does an amazing fan pull in humid air if the air around is dry ???

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BlueberryCookie said:

Thanks guys, I've got a smartphone now so I'll try the WIFI version as it seems the one I have now is playing up.

Am I right in thinking the non-WIFI version has a temp sensor that unplugs? If so it might be worth checking that is plugged in tightly and doesn't have any dirt or anything on the plug.

• Like 1

Just now, Dapex said:

Ok. So how does an amazing fan pull in humid air if the air around is dry ???

It shuts off to allow plant respiration to increase the humidity naturally. You know, a bit like a propagator but a tent instead. I admit this tech is very new, but it’s there, and much cheaper than you think when compared to £300 worth of gadgets and wires. 

There are certain times of the year when a dehumidifier helps, but you can get by without 

I thought the whole point of the new controller was to stop it from turning the extraction off. 

That was the issue with the original controller that came with the AC Infinty Cloudline t fans,

not continually running the extraction. 

So what if the temp is to high and the RH is to low? 

Atb 

Added: I was thinking about getting one of the new controllers for my nursery,

it got the controller from my bloom-room when I replaced it with the GAS Enviro V2. 

Sounds like I'll be as well sticking with the old one. 

:yinyang:

Edited by Shumroom
Eta

19 hours ago, latigid aikon said:

Am I right in thinking the non-WIFI version has a temp sensor that unplugs? If so it might be worth checking that is plugged in tightly and doesn't have any dirt or anything on the plug.

Just checked it mate, all seems secure & clean. A lot of people rate them highly so maybe I just got unlucky.

16 hours ago, Shumroom said:

I thought the whole point of the new controller was to stop it from turning the extraction off. 

That was the issue with the original controller that came with the AC Infinty Cloudline t fans,

not continually running the extraction. 

So what if the temp is to high and the RH is to low? 

lol The guy simply asked how the fan could produce humidity from a low humidity room. Of course the Controller 67 can stay on, every single geeking thing can be changed, and it can do multiple tasks simultaneously, including shutting off if the humidity gets below whatever you set it as, or setting 1, 2 etc. I was just pointing out that a fan controller can achieve what £300+ worth of Inkbirds and humidifier & dehumidifiers can do. 

As for the heat, I've always said I love my Inkbird 308T for heater duties. If RH was low and heat too high, time to replace/reprogram the broken Inkird and/or replace the HID lighting to LED.

The Controller 67 isn't a magician. :yep:

• Like 1

I'm not being pedantic,

I was just highlighting that switching off the fan to increase RH is only going to lead to the air not being replaced/scrubbed,

as Canna is illegal in the UK this is a bit risky :police:

You said to @Dapex that they needed a better fan controller, 

but if humidity is high and temp is good "what's the fan controller going to do"? 

Switch on a dehumidifier? 

How does a fan speed controller maintain VPD? 

Atb 

• Like 2

@Shumroom

Certain environment controls will hold temp and RH at the right level for optimal VPD but controllers that do that cost way more than the £80 that I spent to get the exact same effect with the setup I'm currently using I'm not sure where the "£300" keeps coming from if I had to spend that to get the desired effect I'd definitely have invested in a fancy extraction setup but my RVK, WAC1 and Inkbirds provide the exact environment I need for a fraction of the cost for one of these fancy cloudline extraction setups.

Why growers insist on buying the latest and greatest grow room gadgetry for many £100's when something a fraction of that cost can achieve the exact same results is beyond me.

Each to their own and all that.

• Like 3

I've never seen the need for these temp and rh controllers tbh.  Ball park temps and rh are good for me. A twiddled knob here, window opened at the right time.  Jobs a goodun. 

5 hours ago, fatboy77 said:

I've never seen the need for these temp and rh controllers tbh.  Ball park temps and rh are good for me. A twiddled knob here, window opened at the right time.  Jobs a goodun. 

Personally they save me having to piss about climbing up in the loft several times a day to adjust the heaters when the weather changes every 5 minutes :rofl:

• Like 3

Yup exactly the same here, if I was growing in a tent in the house where the environment stays relatively stable I imagine there'd be very little faffing about trying to keep my plants happy.

But up in the loft it's a nightmare even though my flower room is fully insulated the environment is ridiculously unstable. I don't even think about it now.

@fatboy77 you're right ballpark temps and humidity are fine and if it ain't broke don't fix it. But like I said earlier in the thread you can provide a great environment or you can provide the best possible environment. The difference between the two is probably only a few % in terms of quality.

I didn't originally buy the controllers with VPD in mind I thought achieving that level of control over my environment was a pipe dream I just wanted something that'd help stabilizing it. But the more I poked around with them I started to realise the potential. Like I say I'm not about trying to get people to change what works for them. You can grow banging Canna in all sorts of conditions. But I want the absolute best possible Canna I can grow. 

If it were possible to do a Pepsi challenge on the end result of VPD grown weed and weed that was grown with ballpark figures would I be able to tell the difference? Who knows. But the difference I'm seeing in my plants has me sold. 

Edited by NezA
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Shumroom said:

I'm not being pedantic,

I was just highlighting that switching off the fan to increase RH is only going to lead to the air not being replaced/scrubbed,

as Canna is illegal in the UK this is a bit risky :police:

You said to @Dapex that they needed a better fan controller, 

but if humidity is high and temp is good "what's the fan controller going to do"? 

Switch on a dehumidifier? 

How does a fan speed controller maintain VPD? 

Atb 

I'm only saying those who use a dehumidifier, with a dehumidifier, on a programmed Inkbird controller are able to achieve roughly the same result with fan speeds. If your temps are good but RH is really high, the controller would most likely be on full power. If the temps are good but RH is low (-30%), then a slower fan (not off - just program the slowest setting to 1) will bring this RH to an ideal range. Air exchange is crucial I know, and I doubt the fan would shut off for more than 5 mins until the RH came back to range, unless the plants are tiny, in which case they should be in a humidity dome anyway/ 

How does a fan speed controller maintain VPD? Bloody easily! And no need to continually buy RO or de-ionised water that gets sucked out by your non adjustable extractor fan!!  lol 

Big thanks for the review and advice @NezA mine arrived this morning and was a breeze to set up thanks to Ur review so :haveadab: on me for that bro I'll give it 24hrs to settle down if I have any issues I'll give u a shout if that's ok :hippy: