Inkbird Environment Control Automation - VPD Made Easy!

NezA

9 hours ago, NezA said:

Here's the video I used when I calibrated mine:

I think I will have to use this method as I have tried again with the sole and the unit doesn't get anywhere near 75% humidity the most I can get is 72.1% so either this unit came completely and utterly un-calibrated of the salt method that I found does not work I will try this method tomorrow, I initially had a great deal of trouble connecting the temperature one to Wi-Fi but the humidity one I connected in less than 30 seconds

Take care

stillo

Pretty sure inkbird claim + or - 3% in terms of accuracy so you're within that. It's also worth keeping in mind that you'll get drift either side of your SV when devices switch on and off. Calibrate it as close as you can, perhaps contact inkbird for a replacement probe to see if you get a more accurate reading.

Edited by NezA

6 minutes ago, NezA said:

Pretty sure inkbird claim + or - 3% in terms of accuracy so you're within that. It's also worth keeping in mind that you'll get drift either side of your SV when devices switch on and off. Calibrate it as close as you can, perhaps contact inkbird for a replacement probe to see if you get a more accurate reading.

looking at my unit cannot change the probe I would have to cut the wire to place a new probe in place, I have the older non-Wi-Fi ink bird temperature sensor and that has a plug on the end so can be quite easily removed but these no Wi-Fi ones do not and I don't fancy cutting wires just yet, I will of course do as you say and calibrate it as close as I can but I am definitely not getting 75% humidity using the salt method

Take care

stillo

2 hours ago, somelad said:

Mine have arrived this morning :smokin:

Mine too, I got the temp controller connected to wifi already but I cannot connect to the humidity controller whatever I do.

I noticed the instructions for the temp controller say to use an app called Inkbird Smart but the humidity one says to use Inkbird Pro so maybe I need to use the other app to connect. Unfortunately that app wont work with my old phone...

20 hours ago, NezA said:

The inkbird smart app definitely has the option to add an IHC-200

:yep:

I tried it any many times but it would not work for me for some reason. In the end I used inkbird pro on a different phone and I also had to use the "slow flash" wifi access point method.

Once it is added in inkbird pro you can see it in inkbird smart too so it's all good now.

The ITC-308 only took 3 or 4 goes to connect which seemed excessive at the time but in comparison to the IHC-200 it was nothing.

I've had the ITC running in my tent since last night and it is working flawlessly. Once the lights come on I'll add the IHC too.

Thanks for posting this thread, I wasn't thinking about doing anything like this until I read it but it should really up my game hopefully.

• Like 1

I'm about to chop my second grow, what do we think of the following for the drying process?

- hanging single plant whole

- RH set to 55% with a humidifier connected (but no dehumidifier!)

- I want a nice 15c drying temperature, but only while the RH is less than 56%RH
- In case RH spikes due to unexpected days of humid weather, then raise the temp to a safe 19c to mitigate, otherwise stay at a nice slow 15c dry

large.dnplayer_8wR76BDgZn.png

On 26/11/2020 at 8:48 PM, NezA said:

My only gripe with the data part is, there doesn't appear to be a way to export it and the data viewer is cumbersome and inflexible. But that's literally the worst thing I have to say about these. I'd definitely like an update to their interface especially an export function. 

I've just been reading back through the thread and I spotted this.

InkBird Smart is limited in this area for some reason but InkBird Pro has a facility to export log data to .csv files.

I've got Inkbird Smart and InkBird Pro installed simultaneously without any issues. Smart has the best automation options but I prefer the live view in Pro and it has the data export facility too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@NezA Do you follow VPD all the way to the end ?? asking as my current temp in flower is 29Deg.. the VPD charts all say i should still be about 66% RH.. yet all the books and websites say in flower it should be 50% RH at the most.... Kinda torn now if i should bring my RH down to 50% or follow the VPD charts????

Hey @Dapex I followed the chart all the way through on my last run without any issues, but I was running lower temps so was in the mid 50's. 

What I've since discovered with an IR thermometer is my leaf temp offset is higher than I first thought so when using the actual values as opposed to an assumed value my humidity should have been slightly lower than the charts I shared earlier in the thread.

If you sign up on the Pulse website they'll send you a spreadsheet where you can plug your own values in and it'll produce a VPD chart suitable for your personal situation.

If you're following a chart that's tailor made for your situation you shouldn't encounter any issues. At least that's what all the people who know more about this than me say. I can only say that in my (incredibly limited) experience, I haven't had any issues caused by humidity when following VPD so far.

This is still a relatively new method in the Canna world so it's unlikely to feature in many books unless they've been written fairly recently. The 50% advice is sound. 

Ultimately the best thing to do is whatever you feel the most comfortable with based on your own experience. If you're a relatively inexperienced grower my advice would be to not worry about VPD at all, you'll still grow great cannabis without it.

• Like 4

Ultimately the best thing to do is whatever you feel the most comfortable with based on your own experience. If you're a relatively inexperienced grower my advice would be to not worry about VPD at all, you'll still grow great cannabis without it.

hey.  This is actually my first grow but stumbled across VPD at the very start and decided I may as well try and do things right 

I’m running 480w LED and temp even with extraction fan is 27deg so I have based my humidity on that.   My leaf temp is about the same as the ambient air ( just happen to have a infra red temp gauge). 

I am 3 weeks into flower and my one single plant is filling my 4ft x 4ft tent. 
had to use a humidifier to start with  now having to use a dehumidifier large.2BA992D9-B6AE-4248-8D00-DD92C0B5D3C0.jpeglarge.A3324683-CCA9-4BD2-8AC8-C0667BBCA856.jpeg

Edited by Dapex
  • Like 2