A new LED adventure in watery wonderland

badbillybob

well they arent looking marvellous, and i was wondering why.

ive been out in the morning to check on them and the temps have always been around 23/24, however, they have been heating up during the day, i checked them today at about 4pm, temps are about 30, facksakes.  

So im gonna have to go out and adjust the variac fan controller twice a day to alter the extraction....well it sounds good, whether i do or not is another thing entirely....but it sounds like i care...large_21.JPG

i managed to accidentally top one of them with the flip lid, and damage another couple, oh my im a heavy handed cnut at times. 

Anyway they will survive, so onward. My big room is empty so i thought id better do something drastic, which would then force me to go out and clean it all down after the last seeded shambles. 

so i took out a heap of magic beans....look at them, lovely arent they, i just love the tiger striped and mottled beans, they just look great eh?large_22.JPG

they looked so good i soaked a few. large_23.JPG

oh its all happening in here,..

same time next week?

• Like 13

A bluetooth thermohygrometer might be a good investment if you're effort impaired like me - easy set up, check temps and humidity any time using graphs, plus the continuous logging shows up natural cycles - my lofts usually hottest around 6-7pm so I work my veg and flower on/off times around that (plus I don't have to get the ladder out lol)

Looks like your on for a good show, what flavor pips you wetting?. 

The ones im wetting are a lucky dip. they will either be blue cheese, moby dick or criticals.

i did have them sorted out at the start, but well, you know how it is eh?

im hoping for more blue cheese and mobys, than critical, hopefully.... i noticed the criticals out o the pack had very little striping on them, they looked just like the light fawn colour all over, so i avoided cracking any of  them, but its a crap shoot, they could be any of the above.

its a nice day up here today, im starting to think i need an intake fan to keep these a bit cooler.

• Like 5

my lucky dippers are getting a shift on, ive decided to include them in this diary, cos they are all dinafem seeds, altho ive no idea which, they are either critical, moby or blue cheese. Hopefully the blue cheese stank will let me know once they are up a bit. 

seeds cracking all over the shop. i potted them into a propo tray of coco, for a change, dosed with 1 ml/litre of grow just.large_20.JPG

they went in yesterday afternoon and this afternoon, half a dozen are already above the coco, keen little blighters.

im gonna take the propo into the led tent and just leave it on the floor.

talking of LEd tents, one of my critical autos has got leaf claw, look like they are overfed, and the ec has shot up from 0.8 to about 1.6 overnight.

oh dear problems ahead. i threw some more plain water in there, ill sort it out tomorrow.

the others looked to be lacking in cal mag, (possible side effect of LED growing, so i dosed them with 10 ml per pot of that too. )

see how they look tomorrow, will get some pics, but the criticals look ropey and the widow looks over fed, even tho its only on 0.8ec. 

lux meter is reading 38000, which is where it should be at, from what ive read. 

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 9

heres some pics. the criticals look well ropey, they got the claw.

i dunno why, feeds are low at 0.8, ph is ok, unless its the roots accellerator stuff. i tried this stuff for the first time after reading about how great it is- well, guess what- it isnt great at all, its made zero point zero difference imho. just another waste of cash.

does anyone know the nitrogen content of it, because i suspect it must be pretty high, going by the plants reaction to it. 

if you do, feel free to chip in.

anyway here they are, today, the widow roots look ok as do the others, so its not root related, but i dunno. i added cal mag last night to combat the def.

im gonna change out the buckets in a day or two, add bloom nutes and see how they go. 

widow first, then criticals.large_21.JPGlarge_22.JPGlarge_23.JPGlarge_24.JPGlarge_25.JPGlarge_26.JPG

• Like 15

quick video update , showing how not to grow autos lol. 

im pretty sure i can pull them back from the brink, res change tomorrow, they needing it, im ditching the roots decellerator, its doing nothing helpfull.

the big prop is my autos for the big room and the little prop is licky dips for the grow shed, if i bother ..

cheers

like and subscraaaaab muthafuggaz

• Like 9

hi, 

i changed out the buckets today, thats 10 or so days since last change. no roots decellerator used this time, , just plain old bloom nutes, (40ml per tub), cal mag, 25ml per, and silicone about 10ml per. thats it. Hopefully the lower Nitrogen level in the bloom nutes will help with the leaf claw, and at 3 weeks, they cant be far away from starting to flower.

ec set to between 1.1 and 1.2 ec and phs is between 5.5 and 5.8. 

Had a major issue with temps tho, it was only 18 degrees this morning in there, at 10 am, so drastic measures needed. out came the HPS again and its in there, on 250watt setting, just for some heat.

Those LEDs are too efficient, for heat dissipation, so i had no choice. i wanted this to a be a 100% LED grow, but its not gonna happen, thanks to temps. i could have carried on,  but the plants would just have gone down hill, so fuggitt, HPS to the rescue. 

• Like 10

Well well a few more days of neglect (havnt looked at them since thursday) and checked em tonight. 

ph was up around 7.6  and ec was down about 0.6.oh dear. sorted now tho and all pots topped up. 

they still look pretty ropey, but i think they are heading in the right direction at least....they are getting a "bush on"

large_26.JPGlarge_22.JPGlarge_21.JPGlarge_20.JPG

seedling autos for the big room are looking dire, even the lucky dip seedlings are betlarge_24.JPGlarge_25.JPGter looking, hmmm, decisions decisions.

same time next week aye?

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 10

evenin,

well the lucky dip seedlings have been evicted, and the autos are in the big room now. 

the autos are pretty grim looking if im honest with at least 2 showing signs of stems damping off.

i think its these root it cubes, dont know if its a bad batch or what, but i might start just planting them in coco, cos the lucky dippers look far better. the cubes either dry out completely overnight, or stay saturated causing stem issues etc.large_23.JPGlarge_22.JPG

the widow shows signs of over feed, but the ec tells a different story, its gone from 1.2 down to 0.4 over 2-3 days.. so its feeding well enough. the criticals are feeding too, but not to the same levels, its dropping 0.2 ec over a day or two, which is fine. , here they are widow first, then criticallarge_20.JPG

large_21.JPG

but anyway....the autos in here are trundling along, and are showing the first signs of pistils, yay, its been , like, er...a few weeks 4 to be exact. another 10 or so weeks till finish, i would be as well doing photos, but at least i wont have to heat the tent with these.  talking of heat i had to up the hps to 400 wats, just to heat the tent to 26 degrees....arghhhhh kinda defeats the purpose of using LEDs.

plants on left of tent looking bigger and better than right hand side. the left side has the newer light with deep red and IR, so maybe its coincidence, maybe its better. 

• Like 9

well these are still alive, but unfortunately ive had monumental issues with the autos and photos in the big  room. 

i put them in there a couple of days back and went in this morning. i had to double take the temps on my controlller (its outside the room) 49 degrees c, what the fuck?

went into the room and it was like getting off the plane in Athens, instant blast of heat, i could hardly breath it was so hot.

oh dear. chiller, which was set to 18 is going overtime and the water temps are 31, not good.

plants are all dead and curled up and crispy..buggerfuck.

The variac was not working the fans, at all, so for about 2 days they were under 5 x 600s on full pelt with no intake or extraction fans going................ weird,

i found the problem, thought it was a stuck relay, but it was one of the built in safety fuses in my fan controller had blown, taking out the power to the relay/fans, but leaving the controller display working. 2 amp fuse (5 for a quid) cost me 80 quids worth of seeds, plus my lucky dippers.......bollox....

The cubes the seedlings were in were really hot to the touch, and that was buried deep in the hydroton. 

i could have washed dishes in the nutrients they were so hot. 

just another day in paradise eh?

All binned now, start again i suppose. not sure what to do, i dont think ive any decent autos left, but will check stash tomorrow. 

• Like 6

You're not having much luck with this growing malarkey are you mate? I'd get a priest in, make sure you unplug everything before they start chucking water everywhere!

• Like 3

yeah, they dont call me "Lucky Billy" for nothing.

i reckon its the curse of the autos hahah , ive checked my seed stash and ive only got some superskunk autos, and some purple punch autos, whatever the fuk they are.. neither of which are floating my boat.........a mate is 2 weeks into bloom with some dinafem industrial plant and i need to see him today anyway. might take my scissors and snip a few cuts from them, stick em in Ratdogs patent cloner pots, and see how they go. ive also got some sweet seeds from the competition this year, might pop some of them if his industrilas have started flowering. 

i'll be back, hold the fire extinguisher :fart:

• Like 7

Shit! This kinds thing is my nightmare, everyday nothing fucks up is a good day. Super unlucky dude but onwards and upwards as ever ;) 

• Like 5