A new LED adventure in watery wonderland

badbillybob

Hi aye everyone. im back with a totally new adventure. 

This time im back to growing in a tent , a new one. 

Its a green qube gq120, and i have to say, after years of so so tents its great to get a hold of a really good one. 

This one has thich solid poles, weighs a ton in the box, and solid zips, thick material and a viewing window. 

Its the bollox, truly.....if you're looking for a good tent, buy one. 

As well as a new tent , ive also got my hands on a couple of LED boards. These are loaners from a mate, and are brighter than the brightest star in the galaxy

They are from INvisible sun, one is sporting lm561c chips, and the new one has the Lm301h, with extra far red and deep reds. 

Im trying them out to see if i want to go full on LED in the big room, and to see if i think its gonna be possible to do the kilo plant with LEDs.

These will let me know, i reckon, i will see how they do. They are well made, and are in 3000k, so should be good for bloom. 

These are getting grown in dwc buckets, the smaller 37 litre boxes, with a small air pump and a single golf ball airstone per tote.

nutrients are IOnic, grow and bloom, il try the roots axcellerator in a side to side, to see if it does anything. also got canna cal mag and pk, but i dont think ill use it. 

strains are white widow xxl auto from Dinafem, and critical + automatic from Dinafem. 

i will get some pics up when the seeds are cracked etc, cheers.

I decided to go with autos, because i havnt done an auto grow for years, and being in a shed, i thought it would be a good idea to keep the temps up in winter.

Beans have been cracked, tent has been put up and buckets are waiting in anticipation. 

Should be good fun, 

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 19

im using smaller net pots with these smaller bubblers. The 200mm ones.

i also just checked, and to save my crap memory, they take about 17 litres of nutrient, should be plenty.

Just so i know how much to dose them.

i also need to buy a filter, and an oscillating fan.....more expense.........

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 9

@badbillybob I remember switching from a homemade tent to a Green Qube 1.2x1.2 and it was like night and day, really great tents and I bought one twice the size for lockdown :)

Those lights sound the business how many watts do they draw?

Looking forward to seeing some monsters in DWC, best of luck for the grow:oldtoker:

• Like 6

Hi Fragg, the lights draw 240 watts each, so 480w in total...

im a complete noob to LED, but ive seen a lot of grows on here done with them and the trich production is very impressive.

So im hoping for some of that...

i went to dunk the seeds this morning, and one of them has gone missing ....im like......WTF? they were in a cupboard, bah.....

• Like 7

Good luck with the new adventure Bob :yep:

Lots of questions about these invisible sun LEDs lately so will be good too see how they perform in your capable hands :yinyang:

Subbed

• Like 8

Be keeping an eye on this mate, lets see how these do.

Keep thinking of the Soundgarden song Black Hole Sun whenever I read Invisible Sun ha.

• Like 3

Well after much sweating i managed to get the green qube up, i mean lots, there looked to be plenty of room in there, but now its up, theres actually hardly any free space....oh well, nevermind.

the tent, is the most awesome tent ive ever had. thick poles, thick covering a viewing window, even lifting the box it comes in was a shocker, but quality is usually heavier than cheap shyte...

And this is quality, truly, dont buy another tent, unless you want to be dissappointed, this thing rocks. ive had loads of tents over the years, none of them even come close to the quality of this baby.

tight squeeze for sure.....the duct silencer is behind the racking, ...im waiting on a new carboair to arrive before ducting it all up. 

heres the shed, compact and bijous Mosten what ,what !!large_22.JPGlarge_20.JPGlarge_21.JPG

i can just about squeeze my fat arse in there and get to the plants. 

So filter ordered, i also ordered a new air pump, a Hailea ACO 9730 these are quality, and super quiet. ive already got 2 of them in the big room, they arent cheap, but you get what you pay for....

Ive started moving stuff in to the tent nowlarge_23.JPG

these 4 pots will fit in here fine, plenty of room for them.

i havnt quite worked out how im gonna drain them, i suspect a small pump and hose will be involved...

im gonna fit the LEDs, but put a metal halide hps on standby, for veg only, if the LEDs cause it to stretch a lot. 

its 3000k lights which are gonna be ace for bloom, but maybe a bit stretchy in veg. i'll wait and see how they do....

Seeds are soaked, and sitting in the hot cupboard, in a prop, in root it cubes. 

i hate this bit, waiting for them to pop up, but ill just have to learn some patience....

• Like 15

@badbillybob all coming together nicely mate:yep: Good to hear you speak well of the pump, I have been tempted to get one but a bit put off by price but it looks quality piece of kit

I’m sure they will appear above ground soon, as I crack a bean every 2 weeks I’m just used to them appearing and never worry, I fret more in the first 7 days once they are above ground that they kick on ASAP, crucial with autos if they are slow outta the blocks it isn’t a good sign! 

ATB with them:oldtoker:

• Like 7

Thanks man, i hope they do well, time will tell eh?

in the meantime i popped anoter few seeds. 

im going to empty my breeding tent out, and use it to keep a couple of mother plants. ive been racking my noodle to think of which 2 strains ive really enjoyed over the past few years, and this is what ive eventually gone with

2 blue cheese and a pineapple express. i was only gonna do one of each, but the blue cheese bean sank straight to the bottom of the shot glass, so i put another one in there, to hedge my bets. i was also gonna do a moby dick, but decided on the P-ex instead, sorry dinafem....

I will be putting them in with the autos till my breeding shenanigans are over with, and the tent, filter etc gets a good wash down, dont want any stray pollen gettitng jiggy with ma ladies.large_20.JPG

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 13

19 hours ago, badbillybob said:

Well after much sweating i managed to get the green qube up, i mean lots, there looked to be plenty of room in there, but now its up, theres actually hardly any free space....oh well, nevermind.

the tent, is the most awesome tent ive ever had. thick poles, thick covering a viewing window, even lifting the box it comes in was a shocker, but quality is usually heavier than cheap shyte...

And this is quality, truly, dont buy another tent, unless you want to be dissappointed, this thing rocks. ive had loads of tents over the years, none of them even come close to the quality of this baby.

tight squeeze for sure.....the duct silencer is behind the racking, ...im waiting on a new carboair to arrive before ducting it all up. 

heres the shed, compact and bijous Mosten what ,what !!large_22.JPGlarge_20.JPGlarge_21.JPG

i can just about squeeze my fat arse in there and get to the plants. 

So filter ordered, i also ordered a new air pump, a Hailea ACO 9730 these are quality, and super quiet. ive already got 2 of them in the big room, they arent cheap, but you get what you pay for....

Ive started moving stuff in to the tent nowlarge_23.JPG

these 4 pots will fit in here fine, plenty of room for them.

i havnt quite worked out how im gonna drain them, i suspect a small pump and hose will be involved...

im gonna fit the LEDs, but put a metal halide hps on standby, for veg only, if the LEDs cause it to stretch a lot. 

its 3000k lights which are gonna be ace for bloom, but maybe a bit stretchy in veg. i'll wait and see how they do....

Seeds are soaked, and sitting in the hot cupboard, in a prop, in root it cubes. 

i hate this bit, waiting for them to pop up, but ill just have to learn some patience....

Great start, looking forward to see you work towards the kilo plant :)

The board with the lm561c chips might be better for germination/propagation. Iirc

Although Prof Bruce Bugbee from Apogee swears that blue or red light makes no real difference to "stretch", it's more to do with the intensity of the light. 

See "Cannabis grow lighting myths" on yootoob. 

Dimmed down, nice and close, seems to be the way to go when in seedling stage, from what I've seen with other people on here. See tokenroll, Exhale, Farmer G to name a few, as some great examples. 

Best of luck with the new set up :lucky:

• Like 6

well it was all looking good and all the seeds popped, until i decided to interfere with the one that was stuck in the cube- top right of the pic.

Old, hands of stone here managed to snap its neck, just after this pic was taken when i opened up the cube to "sort it out"...... woops, well i sorted it out all right ha ha . i did manage to sort the bottom right ish one tho, bonus...

Anyway all the others are up, and waving. SO i will take it as 100% germination - great stuff Dinafem, as usual. 

these are going to dip thier feet next week, once i sort out the filter and ducting , which arrived today...

large_20.JPG

the bottom 3 in the pic are the 2 blue cheese and the pineapple expresss, which im gonna keep as mums, i think, for a while anyway.

the other 6 , i will choose the best 4 autos and grow them out under the LEDs, see what all the fuss is about. 

ive noticed that dimming them is a major ball ache so far....fidly little screw in the driver, which i have to get from the light side, so its like feeling by numbers...its still on full pelt i presume, so i will probs just leave it there, and keep the light up high..

The 3 industrial plants are looking grand too, one of them has decided it wants to be a big girl.. her wish might be granted.....large_21.JPGlarge_22.JPG

if i get this shed built in the next week or so (fucked knees limit amount i can get done in a day, but ill get there), i might , you know, section off a little area ha ha will see if theres any room left after i fill it with shit...

Well if i get it finished and this feckin rain stays off till i do. ive almost got the floor done, waiting on some more sheets which will be coming tomorrow, hopefully.

lots to do, but hey, it keeps me outa troublelarge_23.JPG

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 19

ok, well finally we have lift off, the tent is done, filter fan ducting etc all sorted now.

dont you just love those carboair hanging hoops?

they are great Lights are hung ready for lift off. large_41.JPG

new airpump is doing the bizz, 2 stones per potlarge_36.JPG

seedlings have a decent start of roots on them, so in they go. large_43.JPG

i have upped the water level so the bottom couple of layers of hydroton have water bubbling up through them, its all good, i soaked the hydroton in 5.6 ph water for a day before putting it in there.

i had 2 widow xxls but one looked not so good as the remaining critical so i put in 3 of the criticals, and one widow xxl, just because the critical had slightly better roots on it, and the leaves loooked a bit better. 

heres the widow

large_40w.JPG

and one of the criticalslarge_39.JPG

the rest of them, plus a couple or 3 industrial plant,in soil, and the blue cheese and pineapple express are still in the prop, so i will have to get them either in soil or water soon.

large_42.JPG

these LEDs are a pita for adjusting the stength of the lights from the drivers eh? what size phillips do i need, anyone know?

, so ive left them on full pelt, and raised them to about 2&1/2/3 feet above the plants.

Will see how they go..

they have 1 ml/litre of roots excellerator, 2 ml of grow, and 0.5 ml /l of silicone, making 0.7ec, and set ph to 5.8.

so far so good. 

Im winging it..Any suggestions on what sort of lux readings i should have at plant level.

• Like 14

@badbillybob looking sorted in new tent mate :yep: Regarding lux I aim for 330 to 360 on my phone app for more mature/flowering plants with 360 pushing the limits of light bleaching I find. I’d kick off with around 300 for little uns and see how you go.

HTH:oldtoker:

• Like 5

8 hours ago, badbillybob said:

what size phillips do i need, anyone know?

I use a small electrical or precision about 3mm to adjust the wattage mate :yep:

Edited by Exhale
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Fragg said:

@badbillybob looking sorted in new tent mate :yep: Regarding lux I aim for 330 to 360 on my phone app for more mature/flowering plants with 360 pushing the limits of light bleaching I find. I’d kick off with around 300 for little uns and see how you go.

HTH:oldtoker:

Ahh great, thats perfect, cheers for sharing man, much appreciated.

just checked they are pretty much bang on 300.

3 hours ago, Exhale said:

I use a small electrical or precision about 3mm to adjust the wattage mate :yep:

ok, ive been using a normal one, no wonder its doing nothing ha ha , im a doof, but ive got some of those precision ones, ill give em a go, cheers

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 4