DIY Auto-Watering & Drain to Waste System.

That's exactly what I was after mate!

That's just what I've done after having them on the floor and getting salt build up.

What nutes do you use mate? I've had terrible probs with pm coco using drippers.

How much run off do you get each watering?

How many times a day do you water?

Sorry about the questions, your set up is now almost identical to mine and I'm double checking there isn't something I'm missing.

no worries about the questions m8 im glad to help

The nutes i use are Canna Coco A&B, Rhizotonic, Cannazyme & PK13/14

The runoff can be different at different times of flower, mid flower you may have to add an extra min to the timer just to give them a good run through, it will depend on your enviroment ect, just monitor them to start & take it from there.

I only feed once per day for 4mins not long after lights come on :yinyang:

Top Tip im just about to go coco and the only think holding me back was the daily feeding

, i like it alot thanks :smoke:

now how to work out how the plant the girls into this solid block of coco that got delivered this week :wassnnme:

cheers wasabi

• Like 1

That's exactly what I was after mate!

That's just what I've done after having them on the floor and getting salt build up.

What nutes do you use mate? I've had terrible probs with pm coco using drippers.

How much run off do you get each watering?

How many times a day do you water?

Sorry about the questions, your set up is now almost identical to mine and I'm double checking there isn't something I'm missing.

no worries about the questions m8 im glad to help

The nutes i use are Canna Coco A&B, Rhizotonic, Cannazyme & PK13/14

The runoff can be different at different times of flower, mid flower you may have to add an extra min to the timer just to give them a good run through, it will depend on your enviroment ect, just monitor them to start & take it from there.

I only feed once per day for 4mins not long after lights come on :yinyang:

Ok cool, I've just moved over to Dutch pro as a mates using this with drippers and not having the same probs as me, and he's not even running to waste.

Do you not have problems leaving the run off? Surely humidity shoots up and then buggars your carbon filter??

Have you always had them lifted off the floor? I'm just hoping that me lifting them up has solved my problems.

Hi Wasabi dude, long time no see, hope you & yours are well m8 :yinyang:

Yes Bluez ive always had them raised like this & i dont seem to get a problem often with humidity either, my carbon filter is defo still working :guitar:

Think my wanting to grow in coco, but its hard enough in mud to do :wassnnme: Has just been solved :smokin:

Nice one sinner... Love n' Light pT :yinyang:

Great guide mate I no this is in the hydro section but could this be used with soil? I'm too lazy :0

Good question m8, id always thought about this when i was in soil, i guess if you make up a 20ltr bucket and feed it all to them straight away then i shouldnt see why you couldnt use this, i would suggest cleaning the lines thru with a few seconds of plain water afterwards tho, just to clean the lines as you wouldnt need daily feeding with soil so will be a few days before you use it again.

I never tried this in soil tho m8 so i may be totally wrong and this may not actually work im a little unsure, the reason being im not sure if soil acts like a sponge like coco does, thus making sure your whole pot is soaked thru like it should be, may not work with drippers like in soil. Maybe someone else could comment on this if they have any more knowledge than i do :skin_up:

:yinyang:

Edited by TheSaint

Hey TheSaint great thread! I've just started my grow in a similar built drip system but in clay pebbles.

I think you get black drippers for soil, the blue drippers are usualy for clay pebbles.

I'm thinking of starting my next grow in coco, as said I have made my own drip system similar to this in clay pebbles and feed 15mins every hour. With coco do you only feed 4 minutes a day? and get run off with each feed? Also do you put the drippers deep into the coco so its near the stem/roots or leave it hanging slightly out so the top of the coco is getting soaked? The drippers only wet whats next to it so does it not cause any drying issues in the coco or does it keep it all evenly wet?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm ready to start a small coco grow but just want to clear the feeding cycle up.

This kind of simple system is something thats suitable for me, I love the drip systems! Recently I've seen my friends smelly weed, the quality is amazing compared to mine and he states its all coz of organic growing using coco.

Edited by highgrade-singh

Hey TheSaint great thread! I've just started my grow in a similar built drip system but in clay pebbles.

I think you get black drippers for soil, the blue drippers are usualy for clay pebbles.

I'm thinking of starting my next grow in coco, as said I have made my own drip system similar to this in clay pebbles and feed 15mins every hour. With coco do you only feed 4 minutes a day? and get run off with each feed? Also do you put the drippers deep into the coco so its near the stem/roots or leave it hanging slightly out so the top of the coco is getting soaked? The drippers only wet whats next to it so does it not cause any drying issues in the coco or does it keep it all evenly wet?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm ready to start a small coco grow but just want to clear the feeding cycle up.

This kind of simple system is something thats suitable for me, I love the drip systems! Recently I've seen my friends smelly weed, the quality is amazing compared to mine and he states its all coz of organic growing using coco.

Yes m8 4mins per day and this gives me a little runoff in 6.5ltr pots :yinyang:

Great idea!

That extra bit of tubing is so important. When I built the same to feed my girls water whilst I was away for a few days, when testing it dumped the whole 20ltr bucket all over my floor, flooding the ceiling below! Costly mistake!

Things have now changed though.

I'm looking at doing an automated system in coco, as I want to be able to go away for a couple days but I have a few issues.

The building my tents are in are exposed to the cold, so heat mats are used.

Now how would I heat the roots and have then raised on trays for run off?

I want the trays to drain in to some sort of bucket but I only have the stuff raised sitting on 5cm of celotex/kingspan.

How much runoff do you get over the week?

You could make this system work for soil, but not with organic nutes and then you might aswell go for coco, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the use of a Super Soil that requires only water all the way through flower. That could work.

I've been experimenting with my own soil mixes for a year now and still haven't dialled it in to last all of flower. Almost there though! ;)

So how would I keep the roots warm and run to waste properly?

TD

Great idea!

That extra bit of tubing is so important. When I built the same to feed my girls water whilst I was away for a few days, when testing it dumped the whole 20ltr bucket all over my floor, flooding the ceiling below! Costly mistake!

Things have now changed though.

I'm looking at doing an automated system in coco, as I want to be able to go away for a couple days but I have a few issues.

The building my tents are in are exposed to the cold, so heat mats are used.

Now how would I heat the roots and have then raised on trays for run off?

I want the trays to drain in to some sort of bucket but I only have the stuff raised sitting on 5cm of celotex/kingspan.

How much runoff do you get over the week?

You could make this system work for soil, but not with organic nutes and then you might aswell go for coco, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the use of a Super Soil that requires only water all the way through flower. That could work.

I've been experimenting with my own soil mixes for a year now and still haven't dialled it in to last all of flower. Almost there though! ;)

So how would I keep the roots warm and run to waste properly?

TD

One way you could do it is instead of having each pot raised like i do, (thus losing your contact with the heated floor) is to use a solid floor that all plants sit on (a piece of board underneath a garland tray for instance) have your heating between the board & tray. then raise the whole thing off the floor at a slight angle so any runoff runs to one corner of the tray, in this corner you could drill a 10mm hole for the runoff to escape into a tub/tray which you sit beneath. Then your pots would be in constant contact with the cosy floor & not sitting in any runoff.

Ive been toying with this idea myself but only to solve my problem of being lazy cleaning out the bottom of my room, a catchment tray i could remove would be far easier to keep clean.

Hope this helps dude :yinyang:

I just realised that with some leftover kingspan I can raise the 1.2m2 kingspan floor and have it tilted at the same time.

Just need to figure out how high it needs to be for a decent sized runoff tub.

I have only used water farms in the past, with only one change of tank when in flower and never got problems.

So in coco if they sit in their runoff you get a salt build up?

Cheers for the help.

TD

Guest nelly123

Nice thread saint as CK says above this will do when holidays come round! ha ha ha my mrs wont be happy now i found a way to keep on keeping on. nice work saint man. Nelly :skin_up:

How do saint, can you explain the last hole that puts back in the tank please? Don't get why you need that when you have it timed/dosed as you want?

Cheers pal.