Shed Build

stu914

This how I've built an insulated room inside the shed and kitted it out.

The shed is 5m x 2m (approx)... height:- lowest point 2m, highest point 2.2m.

My grow bud is a sparks and installed a new ring main and junction box, with 4 double sockets in the grow area about 1m high on the walls, out of harms way.

The build

I boarded three sides with 9mm osb board completely covering two large windows and one wall, then built a stud wall with a lift-off door across the remaining side.

The whole area was then studded wth 3x2 cls timber on 60mm centres, fully insulated (inc ceiling) with 50mm celotex and finished with more 9mm osb,

couple of coats of flat white emulsion to finish off. This left me with a space 2m x 1.6m

Environment

By chance there was an existing vent in the top of one corner which I enlarged to 6" for the outtake.

I then cut a 12" passive intake in the stud wall and another in the shed wall to the outside. This outside vent can be linked to the intake or blocked off

and gives me the option of intaking warmer air from the shed in winter and cooler from outside in summer.

Vents covered with cooker hood filter material, which may reduce airflow slightly but keeps light in and bugs out.

Systemair 6" revolution vector ec fan and GAS controller with balanced 660 x 60 Carboair carbon filter, phonic ducting to keep noise to a minimum.

12" oscillating fan, thermostatically controlled oil filled radiator.

Lighting

I've already got the scope 150 from dial-a-duck in the growfridge and it's produced top results, so I've installed a scope 550 to cover a 1.2m x 1.2m space

in the new room. (Top class job from Adam as usual ) This leaves room inside the area to work round the plants and store all the bits and pieces.

System

I've used several systems in the past and this is a combination of a couple...

1m x 1m flood and drain table with top feed 'open flow drippers'...two spouts per pot...both on timers.

I cut a 1m2 piece of surplus osb board and covered it with black and white plastic sheeting both sides. Then cut 9 x 100mm holes in the board to fit 100mm mesh pots.

These are the final pots for the whole grow, they're filled with clay pebbles and suspended in the holes about 2" above the tray of the flood and drain.

Top feeding will allow the roots to grow through the mesh and onto the tray beneath which is flooded periodically, this negates the need for a chiller in summer

and as the nutes are heated will keep roots warm in winter. Once the timings are tweaked I should get insane oxygen levels in the root zone.

I expect to have everything up and running on a test in the next few days before introducing the plants...

I took 12 cuts from a Gorilla Girl on the 12th and now have 10 showing roots so they're ready to go.

Well if you've managed to wade through this lot and want to comment (good or bad I really don't give a shit..:rofl:.).... please do...:yep:

:oldtoker:

• Like 31

Pics or it didn't happen :P

Serious. I've vicariously bonded with this shed (remember you told me about it?). I need pics! :D

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
  • Like 8

Sorry guys, I wouldn't know how to start doing pics, don't have a fancy phone to take them either...

I can just about manage to turn this damned machine on and get to this site, (plus one or two others....:naughty:)

:oldtoker:

• Like 5

1 minute ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

@stu914

Where there's a will there's a way. We could talk you through that!

Old dog and new tricks bud, added to which I'm too fecking lazy to bother learning new stuff which is of no interest to me...:rofl:

I don't possess a single photo of anything or anyone and there's damned few of me in existence, hate photos...:bad:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, craig1000 said:

@stu914 how did your m8 get power out of the house and into the shed m8. 

There was existing power already there bud, we just installed new wiring and junction box...:yep:

• Like 1

wow,, you been holding out on us man, sounds like a top top grow area. im chuffed for you mate.

its a pity i couldnt see it, but ill close my eyes and picture it in my head, lol.

seriously good that, insulation makes a big difference with temps summer to winter, its much more stable. good luck on your maiden voyage

and the room within a room definitely helps with noise. .

It sounds like youve put a lot of thought and planning into it..

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, stu914 said:

Old dog and new tricks bud, added to which I'm too fecking lazy to bother learning new stuff which is of no interest to me...:rofl:

I don't possess a single photo of anything or anyone and there's damned few of me in existence, hate photos...:bad:

Never surrender. Not keen myself, I get ya....but we have needs.

It is also internet/forum law.

• Like 1

lol Who needs pics when the job's been described as accurately as this, eh  @stu914 ?

A proper job too by the looks of it and haven't cut corners.  You'll be well in with this set up mate and sounds right tickety-boo :yep:  

• Like 2

Just now, botanics said:

tickety-boo

Cheers bud, this build has been ticking along bit by bit since xmas. It's the last I ever intend to do so wanted to push the boat out a bit,

get the best equipment I could afford and do everything right...or as you say, 'tickety-boo...'

What's more, having this project has just about kept me sane...fancy having to lock-down for months on end, how fortuitous...:wassnnme:  :naughty:

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, icki said:

Have you ran your fan yet stu...

Runs sweet icki mate, there's a little bit of me thinks I should have gone for the 8" though. The phonic ducting cuts out a lot of noise and the fan is whisper

quiet until it gets above 60+% then there's a little noise, once the door's shut there's very little to hear from outside the shed.

I'll be able to judge just how good it is once the room is completely set up with lights and system running...:yep:

• Like 3