BudJ's Dinafem Diary

BudJ

Insightful as in I guess wonder how much of a difference it will make regarding watts to tent size , type/strain over the 300w , a few things here clarified it for me as well https://www.growweedeasy.com/how-far-grow-lights

zeroG Yeh il check those out on YouTube online where ever , nice one for the help

and good luck BudJ with this grow...

Edited by Psilocybin

On 7/2/2020 at 11:20 PM, zeroG said:

@BudJIts a seaweed wet compost for the want of a better description. Kelp, collected form the beach, rinsed thoroughly, chopped up, slung in a 45L container with the top chooped off, but kept as a lid, let the kelp completely disintergrate, and stink to hight heaven, thats it...pure kelp. takes about 3 months. I collect the water off the summer house so its rainwater and kelp, I also dont clean away the algae. 100ml - 1L,,,all day, every day, right up to last 2 week flowering...then you havew to get the rh on track etc

You can buy it for £10-15 a litre online lollollol

Or you can look up a 'kelp fields' map online, go to the beach for the day and come back with a bag...works in hydro, coco (which is hydro as well) soil, whatever as its foliar...no need to ph, just spray all day baby, The seaweed does all kind of shit, like deep spiritual shit with the weed. Makes them more tolerant to heat/dry, disease, temp fluctuations, airbourne pests, you name it...its fucking superfood for weed.

Thanks for this@zeroG. I went and bought some liquid seaweed this morning, do you reckon I'm good to go with a foliar spray (4ml per litre according to the bottle) or is the plant too small at the moment? There's a pic a couple of posts up.

@BudJYour plants are never too small, or too big...It matters not :)...when I pop seeds in paper towels, i add a few drops to the water from the off.

• Like 1

Update @ Day 11 WW and Day 5 Cheese

Lights 20/4.  Temps 22 - 27.5.  RH 45 - 55.

White Widow XXL (Day 11)

All is going well since the upside down problem at germination.  Doesn't seem to have affected the WW whose growth rate is accelerating now.  8cm tall.

Gave a foliar feed of liquid seaweed @ 4ml per litre (thanks @zeroG) at lights outs yesterday.  Difficult to tell if it's done any good but it doesn't appear to have done any harm.  I've been experimenting with high doses of foliar feed on my poor chilli plants so will ramp it up if no adverse effects.

Watering is difficult and I'm not sure when to switch to wet/dry.  Until now I've been watering lightly around the stem and keeping an eye out for underwatering symptoms.  I can see why folks recommend potting up, even with autos.

Time for full saturation?

large.5f0419c97ad99_WWDay11.JPG

Cheese XXL (Day 5)

After the demise of Cheese I due to my heavy-handed re-orientation at the beginning, I'm pleased to say Cheese II is looking well.  It's quite clear now that I sowed the seeds too near the top of the Jiffy which led to the upside down tap root out the top problems.  Lesson learnt!  Absolutely nothing to do with the seeds themselves as all 3 germinated.

The sowing of a 2nd Cheese has presented an opportunity for learning so rather than go straight to 11L as with the WW, I've decided to go 0.7L first, allow a root ball to develop then move it up to 11L.  Should make watering easier as I've gone straight to wet/dry and allows me to compare both approaches.  I considered using a seedling mix for this but as the WW is doing ok in Batmix opted to use Batmix.  I saturated the pot till run off using tap water with 4ml per litre of liquid seaweed.

large.5f041c1d9730e_CheeseDay5.JPG

I've been keeping a table of key measures so I can look back at what worked or didn't work in this grow.

large.5f041e1111f08_GrowLogDay11.JPG

As always, please don't be shy with comments and advice especially if you see a problem.

Thanks for reading :thumsup:

• Like 5

I see youre watering almost everyday? I have been reading about not watering as often, in soil or coco, with less heat going downward, the meduim dries out less...anyway I was watering every 2 days in coco running up to flowering them from yesterday. That will probably depend on how full of roots the pots are, and how warm your space is generally...

And you didnt water on days you had lower humidity... lol... its clear to say there is no set regime... :D

29 minutes ago, zeroG said:

I see youre watering almost everyday? I have been reading about not watering as often, in soil or coco, with less heat going downward, the meduim dries out less...anyway I was watering every 2 days in coco running up to flowering them from yesterday. That will probably depend on how full of roots the pots are, and how warm your space is generally...

And you didnt water on days you had lower humidity... lol... its clear to say there is no set regime... :D

You’re absolutely right no set regime for the WW. 
Been watering very small amounts frequently when I think it needs it. I can still feel moisture deep in the pot so think I’m ok for now. Need to get on wet/dry ASAP to make life easier!

@BudJ looking good in here mate, the WW has a big first set on her, always a good sign of things to come :naughty: I could be in trouble with this race lol Love the charting of temps, humidity etc great job :yep:

Not a fan of potting up autos personally, in my experience it can go fine but more often than not it knocks them for a few days which hits yield and sometimes can really screw it for a week if you get it wrong. I prefer a pre-water soaking my 20l medium a day or two before planting. Gets the microbial action going and the mycorrhizal funghi I add too. It dries a little with evaporation so come planting I find it is perfect just to leave the seedlings in for 5-7 days with zero interference from me watering wise. Leaving seedlings alone I find the best way, let them sort their roots without a watering to disturb them in any way. Just my experience and not potting up is the recommended method due to the possibility of hitting your end yield. Not saying it can’t be done successfully as long as you time it right, thoughI  just prefer not to risk it. :oldtoker:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fragg said:

@BudJ looking good in here mate, the WW has a big first set on her, always a good sign of things to come :naughty: I could be in trouble with this race lol Love the charting of temps, humidity etc great job :yep:

Not a fan of potting up autos personally, in my experience it can go fine but more often than not it knocks them for a few days which hits yield and sometimes can really screw it for a week if you get it wrong. I prefer a pre-water soaking my 20l medium a day or two before planting. Gets the microbial action going and the mycorrhizal funghi I add too. It dries a little with evaporation so come planting I find it is perfect just to leave the seedlings in for 5-7 days with zero interference from me watering wise. Leaving seedlings alone I find the best way, let them sort their roots without a watering to disturb them in any way. Just my experience and not potting up is the recommended method due to the possibility of hitting your end yield. Not saying it can’t be done successfully as long as you time it right, thoughI  just prefer not to risk it. :oldtoker:

Don't think you have anything to worry about on the race front @Fragg lol

On potting up or not, good to hear your view.  I've read many conflicting opinions on whether or not to pot up autos.  One thing I'll definitely do next time is pre-water and hopefully the dual approach this grow will better inform me for the next one.

• Like 2

If you have trouble gauging how much moisture is in your pot try this:

Take a pot of the same size, fill with your medium and weigh it. Let’s say it’s 1kg. Now drench with water.
Soil holds roughly 1/3 of its volume in water. IE 12l pot - 4l water.

Weigh the pot again and set it somewhere warm.  It should be about 5kg.

Weigh every other day and when it is pretty dry - about 1/4 of it - 1kg pot + 1l water = 2kg - you try to get a feeling for that weight. It is the weight when you wanting water your soil. 
It will become something like muscle memory to you and at some point you just have to look at a pot to see if it needs water. 3 runs tops. :yep:

• Like 2

Youll want to pick a pot size and keep it there for Autos, in my experience in soil anyway - not too big that it takes an age to dry out, and not too small that it inhibits your growth. Light, i always went by the idiom; bigger the pot, lighter the mix. But then again, some of the autos these days are huge so I probably know nothing on reflection. In coco it doesnt matter as long as you can keep the coco moist and fed.

12 minutes ago, zeroG said:

Youll want to pick a pot size and keep it there for Autos, in my experience in soil anyway - not too big that it takes an age to dry out, and not too small that it inhibits your growth. Light, i always went by the idiom; bigger the pot, lighter the mix. But then again, some of the autos these days are huge so I probably know nothing on reflection. In coco it doesnt matter as long as you can keep the coco moist and fed.

I personally find 3 gallon pots to be easy enough to handle with enough space for the roots to develop.

Time for a weekly update at Day 18 White Widow XXL and Day 12 Cheese XXL

Lights 20/4.  Intensity increased to 160w.

Temps 21-31. RH 34 - 58.

White Widow XXL (Day 18)

Well what a difference in 1 week.  I hadn't really noticed the growth rate as I've been checking her several times each day but on looking back at last week's pic the growth is clear to see.  She's gone from 8cm to 14cm and leaves are now over the side of the 11l pot.  I wish I'd filled the pot higher with soil to make it easier to get underneath her - I hadn't factored in shrinkage from watering.  No biggy and another small lesson learnt.

Started some light LST on Day 15, anchoring and tying down the main stem.  Feels good to be a bit more hands on and a nice relaxing task which I enjoyed :george:  I wasn't expecting her to be as pliable as she was.

Gave a foliar feed of seaweed at 4ml/l and I've been adding seaweed at the same ratio when watering.

My thoughts have turned to nutrient feeding.  I've read the Batmix is good for 3 - 4 weeks but I'm not sure when to start.  I guess there's 2 approaches - either go in early with a light dose of feed (Old Timer's Grow) and keep an eye out for nute burn or wait till she's showing signs of hunger before feeding.  I'm thinking approach 1 is best.  I haven't yet watered her to run off and it might be better to do this first, flush out some of the old stuff before adding nutes.  Any thoughts?

large.5f0d4d7dd18ab_WWDay18a.JPGlarge.5f0d4d7e7dcd4_WWDay18b.JPG

Cheese XXL (Day 12)

Coming along nicely.  The big question now is when to pot her up to the 11l.  I've been checking daily for roots at the bottom of the 0.7l pot as I thought this would be a good sign of when to move her up.  Nothing showing yet.  I've read others potting up somewhere between weeks 2 and 3 so it's imminent.

large.5f0d4e76753b7_CheeseDay12.JPG

This week's grow log.

large.5f0d5101de1e6_GrowLog2.JPG

As always, please don't be shy with comments or advice, especially if you see a problem.

Thanks for reading :thumsup:

• Like 3

@BudJ things are looking good in here mate the plants look healthy and well fed from the compost, I’ve not used it but heard it it is quite full of nutes. I like to try a mild dose of feed around the 3 week mark as you will have seen with mine. This is because this is the stage they really kick into gear growth wise in readiness for flower so I feel some extra grub is a good idea:yep: I don’t wait for signs of hunger, I know what is coming so try to preempt it if you see what I mean. If the leaves go too dark after the first mild feed I back off if not carry on and notch it up.

HTH mate :oldtoker:

Edited by Fragg

19 minutes ago, Fragg said:

@BudJ things are looking good in here mate the plants look healthy and well fed from the compost, I’ve not used it but heard it it is quite full of nutes. I like to try a mild dose of feed around the 3 week mark as you will have seen with mine. This is because this is the stage they really kick into gear growth wise in readiness for flower so I feel some extra grub is a good idea:yep: I don’t wait for signs of hunger, I know what is coming so try to preempt it if you see what I mean. If the leaves go too dark after the first mild feed I back off if not carry on and notch it up.

HTH mate :oldtoker:

That is helpful mate, cheers.  I noticed from your diary you went in around 3 weeks so I'll do likewise.  1ml/l of Grow, half the recommended minimum, at the next watering and see how it goes.

• Like 1

@BudJ maybe even try a 1/4 strength mate given you have them in quite a strong mix, my mix has extra coco for aeration so less nutes. You can always add more next feed but you cant easily fix overfed ;) The watering/feed regularity will pick up soon as they get bigger too :oldtoker:

• Like 1