BudJ's Dinafem Diary

BudJ

Time for me to start a diary of my first grow.  Firstly I want to thank @Dinafem-Markfor accepting a complete novice like me in this Seeds4Diary - really appreciate the seeds and hope I do it justice.  I also want to thank everyone who's helped me get my grow room set up and with the numerous questions I've asked along the way :yep:

Grow Room

75 x 75 x 130 Cultilab tent

Lumatek Attis 200w LED

5" RVK & CarboAir CF extraction and passive intake

Tube heater on an Inkbird 306T

Fan

Grow Details

1 x White Widow XXL Auto

1 x Cheese XXL Auto

11L pots

H&G Bat Mix

Old Timers Grow & Bloom

----------------------------------------------------------------

24/6/20 (5 days ago)

I planted the seeds in Jiffy 7 plugs and put them in my propagator in the tent lights off.  Temps were 25-30 and RH around 70 which I tried to maintain.

26/6/20 (3 days ago)

This is where I ran into my first problem.  You can see in the pic below the WW's tap root was coming out the top of the Jiffy, not good! 

After seeking help I very carefully dug it out and re-orientated it tap root down.  I suspect I didn't plant the seed deep enough which caused this so my first mistake and probably not my last.

large.Germination.jpg

27/6/20 (2 days ago)

The Cheese has only gone and done the same thing (no pic) - tap root coming out the top.  Again I got the tweezers out and re-orientated it carefully.  This was more difficult than the WW as the soil was more compacted. 

At this stage the WW had broke the surface and was looking good although the seed shell was clinging on to one of the leaves.  Luckily I had read about this in other posts so knew what to do.

Lights switched on at this point 40% (80w) and around 40cm away.

Today, Monday 29/6/20

The WW looks to be unaffected by the re-orientation and appears to be progressing well but the Cheese is still to break through.  You can just see it in the middle of the Jiffy where it's slightly exposed.  

I'm a little worried I've stressed it when digging it out but I think it's worth giving it a couple more days before abandoning hope and reaching for another seed. 

The prop lid is off in this pic but I've got it sitting over only the Cheese to keep humidity up leaving the WW uncovered, if that makes sense.

large.5ef9827cadd4a_Day5sinceplantingcloseup.jpg

That's it for now, hopefully at my next update the Cheese will have made an appearance and I can call it day 1. 

All help and thoughts are appreciated :)

• Like 7

@BudJ nice start to the diary and decent setup too:yep: Did you have some kind of gravity inversion at your spot?? I have had the bean grow upside down but it is quite rare, I try to plant them tap root heading downwards negate this issue but how unlucky to have 2 doing this! At least they seem to be recovering hopefully the second,one will rise in the next day  or so too :)

ATB with your grow :oldtoker:

Just now, Fragg said:

@BudJ nice start to the diary and decent setup too:yep: Did you have some kind of gravity inversion at your spot?? I have had the bean grow upside down but it is quite rare, I try to plant them tap root heading downwards negate this issue but how unlucky to have 2 doing this! At least they seem to be recovering hopefully the second,one will rise in the next day  or so too :)

ATB with your grow :oldtoker:

Thanks for dropping in Fragg, I read one of your excellent diaries over the weekend.  Your extensive experience is welcome :)

I know, 2 right?  Of all the reading I've done, I've never seen anyone mention the tap root out the top problem.  I can only assume I didn't plant deep enough so the tap root didn't have sufficient room to u-turn downwards.  I believe it should find its own way south regardless of which way up the seed is planted.  One advantage of using the paper towel method vs direct to soil.

Anyway it's all good learning at this stage :yep:    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, budjam said:

Looking forward to this one @BudJ :naughty:

Good to see you mate :yep:  I'll provide as much detail as possible on the Attis along the way for the owners thread.  Currently 20/4, 80w @ 40cm.  They've increased the grow room temp much more than I expected but to be fair I don't have any extraction running.

• Like 1

Quick update - sadly the Cheese didn't make it :no:  Never recovered from her re-orientation and my heavy-handedness so I called time on her yesterday and planted another seed, making sure to plant a little deeper this time.

At the same time, the WW went in her big girl pot after almost a week in the jiffy and 4 days above ground.  Approximately 6cm tall now and I think she's looking ok.   I've upped the light to 120w still at 40cm and put the floor fan on to hopefully strengthen her.

I've had the extraction on periodically, mainly to reduce temps but I wondered when should I be getting that on permanently for air exchange?

Temps are consistently around 27 and humidity 50%.  Is it worth trying to get humidity up?

So not much to see at the moment, it feels like things are moving really slowly but that's probably more about me than the plant.   Thanks for reading :yep:

large.5efc826739514_WW1weeksinceplanting.JPG

• Like 3

Higher humidity is generally better for veg...Im in the over 60% club and I foliar feed severl times a day too :)

• Like 2

White Widow XXL? Count me in. I love that strain and have 7 of them going myself. The rare red pheno is something to behold of. 

• Like 3

Nice start mate :)

At this stage it needs very very little fresh air(CO2).

It's more about humidity and temp just now.

Be careful having the fan on inside the tent just yet, you don't wanna dry it out.

But don't spray it when lights are on.

Just try to keep the environment as constant as possible, it's easy to stress out little ones.

Give it a couple more days at least to develop a little more first. imo

:yinyang:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

Nice start mate :)

At this stage it needs very very little fresh air(CO2).

It's more about humidity and temp just now.

Be careful having the fan on inside the tent just yet, you don't wanna dry it out.

But don't spray it when lights are on.

Just try to keep the environment as constant as possible, it's easy to stress out little ones.

Give it a couple more days at least to develop a little more first. imo

Thanks mate, I read a post earlier about drying out and switched off my floor fan at that point :yep:

You mention not spraying when lights are on....I haven't been spraying at all, just very lightly watered the soil around it.  Should I be spraying the seedling itself with water at lights out?  Is that what you mean?

• Like 2

@BudJ You can mist them at lights out, especially if your humidity is on the low side and temp is on the high side.

When I mentioned it, that was in response to Zero's mention of foliar feeding, after yours mate. 

Edited by Shumroom
Eta
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

@BudJ You can mist them at lights out, especially if your humidity is on the low side and temp is on the high side.

When I mentioned it, that was in response to Zero's mention of foliar feeding, after yours mate. 

Ah got you now mate, cheers

• Like 1

Just interesdted to know why you cant foliar feed when the lights are on? @Shumroom

Ive been foliar feeding with the lights on, and spraying as much as I can for 20+ years to keep the humidity up...I even foliar feed during flowering with a seaweed feed...I try to keep my humidity in the 70+ department during veg

If youre not careful you can get hot spots, but if you have a fine mist theres no problem, with gooid extraction, and an oscillating fan, the moisture dries quickly...

This is something I hear quite a lot, and dont understand why...

• Like 2