Is cannabis wank?

Funk P

I took a 3 month tolerance break back in 2014/15. Did fuck all. Now I just accept a daily vape like a good coffee, solid and dependable. I do enjoy edibles but the high is totally different, and can get uncomfortably sedated at certain doses, where the only cure is sleep. I occasionally treat myself to a late night vape laced with some bubble or dry sift hash, which works best if you haven't had any most of the day. Otherwise it's simply a lovely daily med that I enjoy more at regular doses, rather than trying to chase that elusive mega high that we all experienced at the start. 

And there's nothing wrong with doing fuck all. Embrace it, everyone's always running about like nutters, chilling is just as productive. 

That reminds me, I haven't done the hoovering for a month, think I'll stack the dirty dishes first.. lol 

• Like 5

@GSZZ if I'd have grown them under hps they probably would have been bland but I grow under LED and tend to get some really nice results the fragrance on both strains can hardly be described as dull, the critical started off reeking and had this energy drink sweet fragrance that has now mellowed into more of a bubble gum. The Sweet Amnesia Haze I did recently for the forum competition turned out to be a blinder too with plenty of limonene in the terpene profiles it prangs my head but my body reacts really well to it, both strains have an excellent ability to quieten my thoughts which is great as someone who suffers from PTSD can be a godsend.

They also have served a really good purpose in giving me decent results so I have some jars to sit back on while I work through my regular strains where the process is longer with the sexing and separation. 

E2A: I vape. :yep:

Edited by Exhale

The flavours are there in abundance but highs nowadays are not like they used to be (I've been toking for 31 years). But how much of that is down to tokage over the years I don't know :unsure:  (A break always livens things up and resets things to a degree)

Tend to look back with rose tinted glasses at yesteryear if I'm honest though I've had decent highs out of femmed plants.  I suppose it's all about what you're looking for at the end of the day, however I'm still searching for 'the one' that gives me the buzz I remember as a teen and when a dry mouth was like the surface of Mars and eyes just as red too lol 

• Like 11

Remember when all that was around the street was soap bar or occasionally a bit of over priced pollen? Things have come along very far in a relatively short space of time. We are all spoiled

I think weed is being made too potent the breeders are all in competition to see who can bring out the next heavy hitter .

People call white widow "day time" smoke now but I remember when it was the strongest you could get.

Personally I like to be able to function after a smoke but the likes of Amnesia just makes me brain dead perhaps I am just gone to old for it :smokin: 

• Like 3

I do a mixture of regs and fems, I have grown stuff from both UGORG and Dinafem, both are quality genetics, Dinafem genetics are certainly not dull. 

• Like 4

It's a shame really. Once you've spent time growing cannabis that's been splashed with Ot1 genetics and breeding, it kinda runs pretty much everything else lol

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Smokebelch said:

I do a mixture of regs and fems, I have grown stuff from both UGORG and Dinafem, both are quality genetics, Dinafem genetics are certainly not dull. 

I think it's definetly a matter of finding better breeders and also maybe something that swings more sativa. For me personally. 

Edited by Funk P
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Funk P said:

There seems to be alot of hype around ugorg, whats the thinking and research behind your views on growing regs instead of fems? Do you have threads that explain it quite well or online info of any sort? I know the guys are ugorg hate fems and autos with a passion if I'm not mistaken. 

Not to do your homework for you, but a female cannabis seed is made by forcing a female plant through one mean or another to start growing male flowers, which then go on to pollinate the same female plant or another female plant in the room, the resulting seeds being all female. The issue here is that a male cannabis plant is 50% of the genetic make up, so whatever expression you see in your room 50% of those came from a male plant.

In practice, selfing a female cannabis plant to lock down traits and make it homozygous isn't neccesarily a bad thing (not that anyone does it properly anyway), however pretty much the whole of the European breeding scene has gone down this femini$ed route, so they lose the breeding parents or they get given a special clone of a particular plant, and they self it to itself or to other special female clones.

Then someone else pulls a plant out of those resulting seeds, thats a diluted version of the original, and then they self that and cross it to all their favourite female plants, and the process continues and then someone grows those seeds, finds an even further diluted version and does the same thing. Most of the new releases from European Seed breeders haven't been anything new or original, they've just been selfed versions of specials clones that have come out of the US, IE Gorilla Zkittles from Dutch Passion, SFV Purps from Sweet Seeds, ANY variant of critical (which was just big bud btw, and that was crap even back in the day)

Now we're in a situation where nearly all the cannabis seeds that come out of Europe are bland, boring, diluted shadows of their former selves, the genetic variation within the line has been bottlenecked to shit, so whilst THC percent and whatever else has gone through the roof, psychoactivity and potency has gone through the floor and for what reason?

Because its easier to make fem seeds than it is to go through the ball ache of properly breeding something special, growing out males and then growing out his daughters. Thats too much like hard work...

Also autoflowering cannabis is by its very nature not potent, crossing a potent photo variety to an auto doesn't create any kind of improvement, it just makes the original photo variety a weak diluted auto-flowering version of its former self, and for what because its 8 weeks from seed? No thanks I'd sooner wait etra 2 - 4 weeks and have something ace.

3 hours ago, Exhale said:

@GSZZ if I'd have grown them under hps they probably would have been bland but I grow under LED and tend to get some really nice results the fragrance on both strains can hardly be described as dull, the critical started off reeking and had this energy drink sweet fragrance that has now mellowed into more of a bubble gum. The Sweet Amnesia Haze I did recently for the forum competition turned out to be a blinder too with plenty of limonene in the terpene profiles it prangs my head but my body reacts really well to it, both strains have an excellent ability to quieten my thoughts which is great as someone who suffers from PTSD can be a godsend.

They also have served a really good purpose in giving me decent results so I have some jars to sit back on while I work through my regular strains where the process is longer with the sexing and separation. 

E2A: I vape. :yep:

Eyup mate you can polish a turd and put glitter on it but its still a turd. I wish that full spectrum lighting was the silver bullet and the answer to all my problems with cannabis but unfortunately its not, it definetly makes some of these bland boring varities a bit more colourful, smelly and even psychoactive but ultimately, they're still diluted, poorly bred, bottlenecked, plants.

I really mean it, try growing some of these varties that take longer than 9 weeks to finish and bred by lads who do it for the love not the money, and tell me that Critical and Ammo isn't bland. I'm waiting :)

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

Also autoflowering cannabis is by its very nature not potent, crossing a potent photo variety to an auto doesn't create any kind of improvement, it just makes the original photo variety a weak diluted auto-flowering version of its former self, and for what because its 8 weeks from seed? No thanks I'd sooner wait etra 2 - 4 weeks and have something ace.

Just to add because I can't edit for some reason - you obviously can't keep cuttings from an auto, so you have to buy your seeds time and time again from the breeder. It's like PK and cal-mag, just a way to get you the grower to part with some of your hard earned cash.

• Like 3

I really don't understand the nonsense some folks talk on here about fems.I've grown for over 20 years and a mix of regs and fems and really don't get where this only reg crap comes from!I can name a few strains where the regs came out better than the fem version,Zamaldelica and Malawi were both that way but have grown more where the fem version has been superior to the regs.Original diesel/sssdh,golden tiger,honduras/panama,sssdh s1's were all better than that their regular counter-parts

Diversity is key to quality cannabis IMO. In the grand scheme of things fems contribute to reducing that diversity. As does prohibition. As does poorly selected breeding goals and any scene that focuses in on itself. And probably a few more things I can't think of right now lol

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GSZZ said:

I really mean it, try growing some of these varties that take longer than 9 weeks to finish and bred by lads who do it for the love not the money, and tell me that Critical and Ammo isn't bland. I'm waiting :)

I have some in the works, you'd have to check my diary links in my signature to see where I'm going (especially Project Nursery!). Interestingly enough my Sweet Amnesia Haze was nowhere near ready at 9 weeks, I took mine closer to 11.

large.20200509_194010.jpglarge.20200509_194244.jpg

Absolutely reeks of lemon, great for keeping a quiet mind and a light/loose body. I honestly can't knock it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GSZZ said:

The issue here is that a male cannabis plant is 50% of the genetic make up, so whatever expression you see in your room 50% of those came from a male plant.

Could you elaborate at all on why you believe this is an issue?

1 hour ago, GSZZ said:

In practice, selfing a female cannabis plant to lock down traits and make it homozygous isn't neccesarily a bad thing (not that anyone does it properly anyway), however pretty much the whole of the European breeding scene has gone down this femini$ed route, so they lose the breeding parents or they get given a special clone of a particular plant, and they self it to itself or to other special female clones.

Then someone else pulls a plant out of those resulting seeds, thats a diluted version of the original, and then they self that and cross it to all their favourite female plants, and the process continues and then someone grows those seeds, finds an even further diluted version and does the same thing. Most of the new releases from European Seed breeders haven't been anything new or original, they've just been selfed versions of specials clones that have come out of the US, IE Gorilla Zkittles from Dutch Passion, SFV Purps from Sweet Seeds, ANY variant of critical (which was just big bud btw, and that was crap even back in the day)

Now we're in a situation where nearly all the cannabis seeds that come out of Europe are bland, boring, diluted shadows of their former selves, the genetic variation within the line has been bottlenecked to shit, so whilst THC percent and whatever else has gone through the roof, psychoactivity and potency has gone through the floor and for what reason?

Because its easier to make fem seeds than it is to go through the ball ache of properly breeding something special, growing out males and then growing out his daughters. Thats too much like hard work...

The problem is poor breeding, these companies learnt long ago that theres more money in some slap dash work (or stealing other peoples), jumping on the latest craze, and some heavy marketing than actually breeding anything original or of real value.  Perhaps the ability to reverse plants has made this easier in some cases, but don't make the mistake of thinking that its the cause, or that growing out males with progeny testing is somehow 'better' just because thats what people used to do.   Make no mistake, using reversed females over normal males is at the cutting edge of modern cannabis breeding.  

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, j.a.g said:

I really don't understand the nonsense some folks talk on here about fems.I've grown for over 20 years and a mix of regs and fems and really don't get where this only reg crap comes from!I can name a few strains where the regs came out better than the fem version,Zamaldelica and Malawi were both that way but have grown more where the fem version has been superior to the regs.Original diesel/sssdh,golden tiger,honduras/panama,sssdh s1's were all better than that their regular counter-parts

the reason why is ace actually do breading , where as a lot of the others dont . that s what we are on about 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

Could you elaborate at all on why you believe this is an issue?

35 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

Perhaps the ability to reverse plants has made this easier in some cases, but don't make the mistake of thinking that its the cause, or that growing out males with progeny testing is somehow 'better' just because thats what people used to do.   Make no mistake, using reversed females over normal males is at the cutting edge of modern cannabis breeding.  

I can barely believe my eyes.

Cannabis is dioecious, which means that HALF of the gene pool belongs to the male population. Do you really think making a dioecious plant act monoecious, and removing half of the genetic potential, is the "cutting edge of modern cannabis breeding?" (what a fucking joke lol ) I literally can't get my head around what it is you don't understand about that? Males pass genes on to the female half of the line and vice versa, by endlessly removing the males what kind of unique allele cominations are you removing from the gene pool forever? So by this thinking should we just pollute all the landrace stock thats still out there as well? Do you think it was a good idea that Greenhouse gave a load of himalayan farmers coloured fem seeds to ruin their stock? Is it a good thing that Jamaican land race varities are all polluted with European shit in them and have literally disappeared forever?

I don't disagree with you in that its bad breeding, as catfish has stated above ACE and Cannabiogen did a great job on their fem lines because they actually worked them traditionally before femming the lines, which really no one does. Thats an example of selfing and feminising done right.

Where do you think all the original stock they fucked up in holland/Spain came from? Dioecious stock, most of what Europeans are fucking with at the moment can be traced back to Sam, Neville, or OT1 all of which was original dioecious, traditionally worked, stock. 

Imagine some of those lines like Skunk #1, ESB, and Super Silver Haze bred traditionally and the back bone for so so many companies these days and not one of them was bred with a bottle of STS in sight. :yawn:

• Like 13