Northen garden autos

rurallegend

Looking very nice and healthy :)      Be very cautious as the plastic type greenhouses / tunnels all tend to amplify the smell badly !     

They also have a tendency to promote mold due to the high humidity.

Keep the pics coming :)       All the best.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, OldFord said:

Looking very nice and healthy :)      Be very cautious as the plastic type greenhouses / tunnels all tend to amplify the smell badly !     

Good info there I never knew that about the smell ,do you know would polycarbonate be the same with the smell issue ? I was thinking of replacing my missing panes with polycarbonate but if it increases the smell that idea won't be a runner

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ignatius_j_Reilly said:

Good info there I never knew that about the smell ,do you know would polycarbonate be the same with the smell issue ? I was thinking of replacing my missing panes with polycarbonate but if it increases the smell that idea won't be a runner

I honestly couldnt answer regarding the polycaronates mate, although i believe i have seen posts on here confirming its still not great.      All i know is i got rid of my plastic / poly tunnels & houses within a few wks of flowering on my 1st ever grow when the entire street could smell it lol       10 mins out of the houses / tunnels and no smell !       I now go with the ..... dot them around the garden in plain sight whilst using other eye catching plants to shield & draw the eye away and to be fair i have had numerous people over for bbq's and party's over the years  and 99% never even notice them.    

• Like 3

Don't see an obvious reason for one kind of impermeable substance (polycarb) to be any more smell-promoting than another (glass) but Oldford may well know of a reason.  Of course any enclosed space will smell more inside than outside.  My greenhouse has smelt nice and weedy inside for the last week or so as the auto ladies have begun flowering; today after work (27c in the kitchen as I type, 29c in the greenhouse which the sun shades from about 17:30) was the first time I smelt the plants from outside, gently wafting through the 3 sets of louvres / 3 roof vents which are all fully auto-open.  It is breezy here so that will waft out smells from the greenhouse but equally will dissipate them once outside.  On hot still days last year one auto in full flower in the garden was pretty pungent.  I think that that's just the way it is. Fortunately the immediate neighbours I know (and who are really nice) are either unaware or more likely pretend not to notice.  The ones at the bottom of the garden are an unknown quantity but they cannot see into our garden.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Socksnsandals said:

Don't see an obvious reason for one kind of impermeable substance (polycarb) to be any more smell-promoting than another (glass) but Oldford may well know of a reason.  Of course any enclosed space will smell more inside than outside.  My greenhouse has smelt nice and weedy inside for the last week or so as the auto ladies have begun flowering; today after work (27c in the kitchen as I type, 29c in the greenhouse which the sun house shades from about 17:30) was the first time I smelt the plants from outside, gently wafting through the 3 sets of louvres / 3 roof vents which are all fully auto-open.  It is breezy here so that will waft out smells from the greenhouse but equally will dissipate them once outside.  On hot still days last year one auto in full flower in the garden was pretty pungent.  I think that that's just the way it is. Fortunately the immediate neighbours I know (and who are really nice) are either unaware or more likely pretend not to notice.  The ones at the bottom of the garden are an unknown quantity but they cannot see into our garden.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OldFord said:

I honestly couldnt answer regarding the polycaronates mate, although i believe i have seen posts on here confirming its still not great.      All i know is i got rid of my plastic / poly tunnels & houses within a few wks of flowering on my 1st ever grow when the entire street could smell it lol       10 mins out of the houses / tunnels and no smell !       I now go with the ..... dot them around the garden in plain sight whilst using other eye catching plants to shield & draw the eye away and to be fair i have had numerous people over for bbq's and party's over the years  and 99% never even notice them.    

I have been using a glass greenhouse with good results but visitors to the house always want to see what you are growing in the greenhouse for godsake. I will definitely be adopting the hiding in plain sight method further down the line , all this moving plants around when people call is just too much hassle 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Socksnsandals said:

Don't see an obvious reason for one kind of impermeable substance (polycarb) to be any more smell-promoting than another (glass) but Oldford may well know of a reason.  Of course any enclosed space will smell more inside than outside.  My greenhouse has smelt nice and weedy inside for the last week or so as the auto ladies have begun flowering; today after work (27c in the kitchen as I type, 29c in the greenhouse which the sun shades from about 17:30) was the first time I smelt the plants from outside, gently wafting through the 3 sets of louvres / 3 roof vents which are all fully auto-open.  It is breezy here so that will waft out smells from the greenhouse but equally will dissipate them once outside.  On hot still days last year one auto in full flower in the garden was pretty pungent.  I think that that's just the way it is. Fortunately the immediate neighbours I know (and who are really nice) are either unaware or more likely pretend not to notice.  The ones at the bottom of the garden are an unknown quantity but they cannot see into our garden.   

The smell is the real killer isn't it ? The nicer the plants begin to look towards the end of flowering the more they begin to stink the place up. You are blessed with neighbors who are content to turn the other cheek and pretend to to notice them : ) I am going with greengold ,mightygold and few hacks this year hoping they won't smell too bad 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Socksnsandals said:

I honestly have no grounding as to why the plastic greenhouses cause the smell to amplify but a simple quick search on here will highlight how common the issue is, again as for polycarb i cannot 1srt hand comment but there seems to be lots of negative views around, maybe they dont leave the doors open constantly or have a fan ,  i honestly couldnt say.

all i can do is tell the gent of my own experience and hopefully save him from drama later :)     Our glass greenhouse is great and very seldom have any issues.  

Sorry i cant be of much more help. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OldFord said:

Hi, so are the plastic /vinyl no good at all ? Mine plants are in pots and on good days are out in the garden but when the forecast is poor i put them back in the polytunnel.I was thinking that when they come into heavy flower they would be better kept dry in the tunnel, are they better outside ? Thanks

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zebal said:

Hi, so are the plastic /vinyl no good at all ? Mine plants are in pots and on good days are out in the garden but when the forecast is poor i put them back in the polytunnel.I was thinking that when they come into heavy flower they would be better kept dry in the tunnel, are they better outside ? Thanks

Have a search on here , its not just me.  for some strange reason they really amplify the smell.    As stated i had no choice but to ditch mine a few wks into flower, thats running strains i can now run happily in the open with no smell , yes i agree genetics and phenos vary but i dont have any issues and not had any since i ditched the plastic greenhouse.

I use patio parasols if it gets too wet and that way the air can still circulate but keep them dry, better that than the dreaded mold and yes the poly houses tend to increase the risk of that too sorry.     I get very little smell using the strains i try keep to but they will smell a tad on a still / hot day and if the branches rub up each other when in flower on a windy day.  

Morning folks hope you and your ladies enjoyed the weather back to standard now though.... Anyhow a small update on how things are going. After the nightmare with my hand turns out I don't need an op so happy days! The ladies are loving life. Ones a week or so ahead of the other 3. Lovely purples coming out now buds swelling up and trics popping out all over! Gsc are coming on nice too ready to take the limelight after the current 4 are done. Messed up and ended up with a fruit salad photo in the same pot as a gsc auto so that'll be interesting. Got 6 seedlings mix of black jack autos and hazy dayz autos supposed to be going down to my guerilla site but thinking about keeping them all back in the garden give me 10 here go work with. Anyhow pics below and peace out folks! 

vHZZyLC.jpg

CLGmmLw.jpg

eeKd6tt.jpg

HW9xOWA.jpg

WtI25KF.jpg

• Like 4

On 25/06/2020 at 5:20 PM, OldFord said:

Cheers for that mate. To be honest its more just a roof than a greenhouse it's open both ends and there a good 15 innches at the back only the front is down to ground level. Had problems with smell early on. Now well into flower and no smells at all.! Here's today's pics 

SBz1ifj.jpg

OlUa5vk.jpg

• Like 5

Afternoon folks 

So I've been have problems with tiny yellow bugs, could be baby aphids as I've seen a few adults in there or some mites.... Not found any eggs or webs yet but seem as I've seen about 30 of the little buggers now im starting to stress being so close to finished. Don't want to spray anything on them really being in flower apart from water.... Anyway apart from that things are loking lovely!! Ones much further ahead than the others but hoping once the first is harvested the other 2 will get some more room to finish up. New ones looking nice too and starting to notice new growth daily. 

Pics below and peace out folks. 

Yvdg1mW.jpg

eD2gDLD.jpg

7lfqxzp.jpg

xb6BeC2.jpg

QJf8llk.jpg

BW7ErnR.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, rurallegend said:

Afternoon folks 

So I've been have problems with tiny yellow bugs, could be baby aphids as I've seen a few adults in there or some mites.... Not found any eggs or webs yet but seem as I've seen about 30 of the little buggers now im starting to stress being so close to finished. Don't want to spray anything on them really being in flower apart from water.... Anyway apart from that things are loking lovely!! Ones much further ahead than the others but hoping once the first is harvested the other 2 will get some more room to finish up. New ones looking nice too and starting to notice new growth daily. 

Pics below and peace out folks. 

Yvdg1mW.jpg

eD2gDLD.jpg

7lfqxzp.jpg

xb6BeC2.jpg

QJf8llk.jpg

BW7ErnR.jpg

Heya bud all looking real nice there. I k ow you said you dont want to spray anything on them but if you have an old dettol spray bottle (cleaned) just add 1-2 drops like rice size in there of fairy washing soap. Spray at night on the plants all over plus underneath the leaves and in the morning spray it off with a hose on low and that should get rid of those pesky critters for you. It shouldn't affect the plant as long as you rinse it off before the sun hits them as it could cause them to burn. 

I hope this helps you bud. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Wappasmokes said:

Heya bud all looking real nice there. I k ow you said you dont want to spray anything on them but if you have an old dettol spray bottle (cleaned) just add 1-2 drops like rice size in there of fairy washing soap. Spray at night on the plants all over plus underneath the leaves and in the morning spray it off with a hose on low and that should get rid of those pesky critters for you. It shouldn't affect the plant as long as you rinse it off before the sun hits them as it could cause them to burn. 

I hope this helps you bud. 

Cheers mate yeah I've seen that many different things it's just confused me but was planning on trying that tonight! Cheers ill let you know how they get on. And sun?? What's that haven't seen it for days up here... 

• Like 1