LED vs HPS pros and cons?

Grassisgreener

1 hour ago, Snypie said:

Medium is now Plagron grow mix. It is a peat based mix. I am watering with tap water which is stand for days. I am using root stim and nothing else.

Even if you're potting up you still need to feed from the get go, LED tends to get the plants using the food available much quicker, I use BioBizz it's slow so I feed from the start and I have to build the feed quite high to keep my plants "healthy".

• Like 1

Just now, Exhale said:

Even if you're potting up you still need to feed from the get go

I did wonder how fast they'd use the nutrients in the compost. So you're feeding from the start, that's definitely put me off lol Part of the reason I like compost is because you don't need to feed them in veg.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KC said:

I did wonder how fast they'd use the nutrients in the compost. So you're feeding from the start, that's definitely put me off lol Part of the reason I like compost is because you don't need to feed them in veg.

I use what's classed as a light/medium pre-fertilised mix but even with the stronger composts I would probably use a low dose of feed instead of plain water as what's in the slow release stuff is about conditioning the soil, feeding the beneficial microbes.

If I use plain water I get problems very quickly I find, this run I've built up and got to what you would call "over feeding" them (currently over 5ml on grow and bloom) and the plants love it, my bottle of BioBizz are getting emptied pretty quick though so I'll be looking for a feed that doesn't require so much and doesn't release slowly.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Exhale said:

I use what's classed as a light/medium pre-fertilised mix but even with the stronger composts I would probably use a low dose of feed instead of plain water as what's in the slow release stuff is about conditioning the soil, feeding the beneficial microbes.

If I use plain water I get problems very quickly I find, this run I've built up and got to what you would call "over feeding" them (currently over 5ml on grow and bloom) and the plants love it, my bottle of BioBizz are getting emptied pretty quick though so I'll be looking for a feed that doesn't require so much and doesn't release slowly.

@Arthur Mix and @Exhale

No i don't bubble the water just stand for 2-5 days depending on usage. But i will use a venturi pump to oxygenate the water.

Now they are in plagron grow mix for 2.5 weeks now. It has around 3 weeks available foods and the ec is 1.5 -1.8 according the soil label. Probably tomorrow i plan to transplant them into plagron batmix which has an ec of around 2.0.

I will post some pictures later when i will be home. After then can you give me some advice on fertilizing?

Currently i have no biobizz fertilizers at home but i can order it quickly. One question. What is best for flowering fishmix with bio bloom or grow with biobloom?

4 hours ago, Snypie said:

Currently i have no biobizz fertilizers at home but i can order it quickly. One question. What is best for flowering fishmix with bio bloom or grow with biobloom?

They're okay ferts but like I said they really don't keep up well with LED's when you push for a higher PPFD, I use bio-grow and bio-bloom together and save the fish mix for a recovery or once a week dose to help the bio-grow as it's quite weak.

I'm switching to more concentrated mineral fertilizers, maybe CANNA or SHOGUN and feeding the plant directly as I'm getting tiresome of the slow release way of feeding it's like walking in the dark at times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Exhale said:

I'm switching to more concentrated mineral fertilizers, maybe CANNA or SHOGUN and feeding the plant directly as I'm getting tiresome of the slow release way of feeding it's like walking in the dark at times.

I've never tried Shogun but I do love Canna, none of the bullshit either, just vega and flores.

I used to think I was all organic with my biobizz but then I thought it through, indoor lights with bottle (plastic) fed nutes…..really lol 

• Like 3

On 30/07/2020 at 5:19 PM, Snypie said:

For example? I run it half power and above 60-70 cm from the plants. Nowdays i used luxmeter also. For seedlings 15000 lux and increased to 19000. But after 2-3 weeks always crispy leaves and no growth. No matter it is soil coco or hydro. With cmh i always get good results.

I could be wrong but I think I read for seedlings 7,000 lux was the optimal figure and 27,000 for vegging. That could be why you're frying your seedlings?

Edited by roostaboosta

• 8 months later...

Giving this a bump, has been a good read :yep:

I remember back when I joined nearly 20 years ago there was one guy experimenting with leds and soldering a ton of old style leds to a make shift board and using it to grow a single tiny plant in a bedside cabinet. I think most of us thought it was a bit of a joke back then. Crazy to see how far they've come nowdays!

Im very happy with my HPS for now but contemplating a switch to leds for the summer months in the loft. How the tables have turned!

Edited by BushDoctoR
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

What would you guys advise as a top led light for a humble 1.2m2 tent 2m tall. Thanks. I'm hoping to use all of the available footprint. I have always used cfl/ mh for veg and hps for flowers. I only want one light and would be relieved to not need a noisy desk fan. Peace.