LED vs HPS pros and cons?

Grassisgreener

Some people are happy using what they know works for them, others are keen to experiment to improve. 

I'm a luddite at the best of times and tend to romanticise old-school ways of doing things. I'd feel a bit affronted by someone telling me their new-fangled way was somehow better than what I was doing. As I've got older though I'm more open to getting the most from my endeavours with new technology. Vaping for example - smoking joints worked just fine but there seemed a more efficient and tasty way to enjoy my weed. I invested, tested, compared, and then made a conclusion. 

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. 

• Like 12

3 hours ago, LA LUNA said:

The threads called LED vs HPS pros and cons. Not make twigs upgrade by force

sorry lol :boxing: 

• Like 7

Has anyone here had any of these new improved  panels in constant use and without failure  for the 3+ years needed to recoup the outlay yet?.

• Like 1

On 25/04/2020 at 7:13 PM, erbivore9 said:

Has anyone here had any of these new improved  panels in constant use and without failure  for the 3+ years needed to recoup the outlay yet?.

cant do 3 years bro but have boards going over 2 years old without any apparent drop in performance

• Like 2

On 24/04/2020 at 8:27 AM, Grassisgreener said:

I think this is the right catergory I use hps myself but LED looks interesting what’s the pros and cons to them both I’ve seen some good grows from led and hps

My kingbrite boards crush my old HPS and my initial burple/MH setup. Cost me about 700 for 1200W. I'd say LED is better, but loads of old school growers still prefer HPS.

• Like 2

Pro: HPS has low barrier to entry. 

A digital ballast can have a dial selection for 400/600/1000watt bulbs.

The flexibility helps with temps. In late summer/fall use 400W then by time bloom is here, so is winter, so the 1000w bulb goes in. 

27 minutes ago, Redeyezman said:

The flexibility helps with temps. In late summer/fall use 400W then by time bloom is here, so is winter, so the 1000w bulb goes in. 

A gavita pro 1000e costs about 530. 2 600w Ali boards cost 500-700 depending on what you want, with Cree, without etc.

LED is cheaper if you use your head and source them wisely.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Redeyezman said:

thats what i love about the leds. u can dim them right down to 10% and anywhere upto 100%

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PlanetCaravan said:

A gavita pro 1000e costs about 530. 2 600w Ali boards cost 500-700 depending on what you want, with Cree, without etc.

LED is cheaper if you use your head and source them wisely.

I wasn't thinking Gavita.... I was thinking tradition single end HPS..... I paid $200 only for mine and still going after 5 years and 8 full grows. I forget how much more tech EU has US for at home grows. 

Just my 2 pence, I've just started my first grow with 2 x LEDs telos 10 (300w each) which I just upgraded with the new kit out to make it a pro, much nicer light on the eye now btw, not grown for years and only had experience with hps, it's been a double learning curve this time.

A big pro for me is the light is so much easier to see what's going on with the girls, it's early days(1st week flower) but I would say they are good as 2 x 600 hps progress wise.

Heating has been a thing though, had to get electric blanket and then a heater too and I'm indoors. Got a heater from a well known hover company it's expensive but it's amazing.

Totally didn't do enough homework on my lights and I hadn't found you guys then but it's all learning hey

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I have no luck with Led. I bought a 375w led strip kit two years ago. Since then all grows fails. I can't grow a plant more than 1 month. Deficiency and all shit appears. I will trash it and going back to cmh. I am very sad that i lost 2 years and around 3000 euros for new systems, seeds etc.

25 minutes ago, Snypie said:

I have no luck with Led. I bought a 375w led strip kit two years ago. Since then all grows fails. I can't grow a plant more than 1 month. Deficiency and all shit appears. I will trash it and going back to cmh. I am very sad that i lost 2 years and around 3000 euros for new systems, seeds etc.

Sounds more like user errors.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt Smash said:

Sounds more like user errors.

For example? I run it half power and above 60-70 cm from the plants. Nowdays i used luxmeter also. For seedlings 15000 lux and increased to 19000. But after 2-3 weeks always crispy leaves and no growth. No matter it is soil coco or hydro. With cmh i always get good results.