LED vs HPS pros and cons?

Grassisgreener

2 minutes ago, Owderb said:

When I said efficiency I meant the grow as a whole not the light itself.

Yes this is what should be taken in to consideration very much on agreement there dude!

There's fine margins in actuality that I've saved in terms of wattage, slightly slower fans and the driver being able to have the draw set at 250 watts and not the 275/280 watts that the HPS I had actually pulled.

But

What I yield now though has increased considerably which in turn brings my efficiency right up, with a full space lit evenly and the higher umol per watt from the LEDs the yields picked up and I've almost doubled my HPS yield which means one less grow to keep the jars filled! A whole grows worth of electricity saved :) it's like buy one get one free.

This is just my example though.

• Like 6

one sort of con is they produce less heat so you may well need to have a heater running even with lights on in winter.

• Like 2

an obvious con is the initial cost to get one ??? 

when I have my 2 600w hps vertical I grow up the walls of my tent that's 1.5m high x 1.5 wide x 2m long. 

If I wanted to cover that same area with led's I would have to spend thousands.  

Edited by BonnieAuto
  • Like 2

One thing with led that not many mention is the following and it’s a huge plus point. If the power ever goes out and comes on again LED is fine and lights again. Now if it was Hps or cmh they would keep restriking which if you are not there may not end well .

• Like 9

digi ballasts are bit more modern with the striking thing are they not?

soft and staggered start ups and what not dude :stoned:  

• Like 4

Not only all the above pro led but quality is also better with the improved spectrum...

C'mon @Owderb if I can move to led after nearly 40 years hps and see the vast improvements they make, how come you can't/won't?

;)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, growitandsmokeit said:

one sort of con is they produce less heat so you may well need to have a heater running even with lights on in winter.

I'm still having to run my tube heater 24/7 since I switched to LED from HPS....should be able to switch it off after this month though, but winter is gonna be a big struggle....

56 minutes ago, LA LUNA said:

Another plus for leds is your less likely to burn your house down :yep:

do they not use electrickery then.? :stoned: 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stu914 said:

how come you can't/won't?

Simply because why mend something that isn't broken and HPS have done me proud for years and years

Owd

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, twigs said:

do they not use electrickery then.? :stoned: 

Yes they do.

Edited by LA LUNA
  • Like 2

If you grow with the LED the same distance away as the hps the hps would kick arse on yields quality. People struggle with heat when it come to HPS lights and I have never seen a side by side LED vs HPS where the HPS is positioned as close to the light as possible. While the LED are near touching the plant I have seen the HPS pushed as far as 3ft away. Every grow I have ever done as been closer than a foot and determined by a thermometer reading. Not and a so called fair side by side comparison video. Price while LED light are expensive for anything worth using. I have seen 3oz buds from a HPS but never with a LED. I am told you need ultra violet lights adding at extra cost to. Until I see buds the size of a 2lt pop bottle HPS wins. I don't care who did a side by side with a HPS so far away from the plant the buds looks like popcorn bottom buds lol.

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Not only all the above pro led but quality is also better with the improved spectrum...

C'mon @Owderb if I can move to led after nearly 40 years hps and see the vast improvements they make, how come you can't/won't?

;)

What improved spectrum? I am told THC is produced in the dark night sycle? Hence the old leave the plant in the dark 48hr before crop. Improving growth isn't improving on any quality that's why big bud was always rated low compared to other indica plant's of its time like Norther lights, Ortega, maple leaf indica. Afghan #1, ect.

• Like 1

I know this is HPS vs LED..  I was gonna go LED but went CMH due to what I read, plants like to be kept in temps of 26c or higher when under LED

CMH/HPS provides that without having to use extra heating

I'd need to keep a radiator on all the time in my space so what I'd save with LED I'd spend on heating

Plants are loving the CMH and I think I made the right choice in my situation

Edited by Punk#1
  • Like 3

No idea what you're on about re strains and THC being produced during dark night sycle (sic)...

I switched from a 150 hps (micro-grow 1 plant) directly over to 150 led (true draw from the wall) and got improved yields, quality, lower power bills,

less heat issues, ability to dim the light so never having to move it up or down (can't see what relevance how close the light is) rock hard buds top to bottom

not having to replace bulbs every couple of grows...et al.

Have a look at the led diaries on here and see the results they're getting...Don't knock it 'til you try it mate...

:oldtoker:

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 11