Grow room guild in attic

Dando

@BonnieAuto,come across a problem,I started germinating me seeds and all looking good,however I have since found out I’m needing house rewired so gonna just get that done save any hassle when I’m up and running,my issue is is there anyway I can look after these seedlings now for 2 weeks max until house is rewired,they are ready to stick in a pot now,help again :-)

• Like 1

@Dando yes mate, My seedlings/veg area is my walk in cupboard with a 100w t-5 and a pc fan wired up. no extractor or anything. 

you could probably do the same untill the work over and done with :yep:

Edited by BonnieAuto

Cheers @BonnieAuto,would in cupboard wi an old crappy light keep them going?just one you stick a battery in?what would happen if I put them in greenhouse for about 2 weeks?just trying to improvise with what I have mate??

Hi @Dando, is your loft insulated? 

If not I really wouldn't advise whapping a tent in there, it will get hot as fuck without any insulation. I think whoever advised you to build a room was on the money, its literally a piece of piss all you need to do is screw or nail some thin wood panels to the rafters and chuck insulation on the back of it. Get some of the white reflective blackout sheeting and staple it on the inside of your room. You want to use OSB3 sheets of wood (these are rated for humid conditions so the glue is designed to give off less gas which can be toxic), 9mm is the thinnest they do which will be fine or you might want to go 18mm for security of hanging stuff off it.

If you upload a picture or 2 it might be easier to give some advice on what you're working with. 

If your loft is already insulated then a tent is OK. If not, summer is going to give you a swift kick in the baws if you go ahead with the tent.

As far as the seedlings, greenhouse might be a shout. They won't smell much in 2 weeks, wouldn't leave them out much longer though

Hi thanks for reply @argosthewizard I have already purchased the tent was £264 quid so I’m go try it now mate,it’s a gorilla tent which is really thick with some roof that says it helps with heat,if I put lights on  7 at night til 7 in morning during flowering would this help with temps?during the day just now when light been on a while and temperature is stabilised At 26 degrees this is with 600w in a cooltube,ok thanks for confirming I’ll stick them in now :-) 

20 minutes ago, Dando said:

@argosthewizard also if I stuck them in greenhouse Would they not get confused when it got dark?do they not need to be under light all the time?

You couldn't do it in the winter obviously but no, this is the time of year that they're supposed to be growing. Some keep them under light constantly in veg, some use something like 18 ON/6 OFF, it doesn't really matter as long as they're getting 18+ hours ish of light which they will in the greenhouse.

Are you extracting back into the loft and where are you intaking? 26 sounds not too bad but how long have you ran it for?

That’s sound I’ll try this then mate,I’m extracting out the eaves mate,and there is filter intake flaps on tent so I have just opened them?i left lights running for over 2 hours and sat at that most of the time,it’s in a cooltube,hopefully this greenhouse truck will work,the boy at shop I got stuff says it wont lol,al try tho I’ll take your word :-)

16 minutes ago, argosthewizard said:

You couldn't do it in the winter obviously but no, this is the time of year that they're supposed to be growing. Some keep them under light constantly in veg, some use something like 18 ON/6 OFF, it doesn't really matter as long as they're getting 18+ hours ish of light which they will in the greenhouse.

Are you extracting back into the loft and where are you intaking? 26 sounds not too bad but how long have you ran it for?

That’s sound I’ll try this then mate,I’m extracting out the eaves mate,and there is filter intake flaps on tent so I have just opened them?i left lights running for over 2 hours and sat at that most of the time,it’s in a cooltube,hopefully this greenhouse truck will work,the boy at shop I got stuff says it wont lol,al try tho I’ll take your word :-)

@Dando If it gets frosty at night you might want to take them in for the night but other than that I don't see what the problem would be. When I grew in the loft I used to have to take air in from downstairs because the loft got pretty damn toasty. Something to bear in mind

• Like 2

3 hours ago, argosthewizard said:

@Dando If it gets frosty at night you might want to take them in for the night but other than that I don't see what the problem would be. When I grew in the loft I used to have to take air in from downstairs because the loft got pretty damn toasty. Something to bear in mind

@argosthewizard thankyou for all your time and help,it is all stored and very much appreciated,I’m going to join this properly,the help and advice is invaluable!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @argosthewizard I am at last coming to the end of my house being rewired,gonna have a brand new seperate circuit for my attic now,so I’ve managed to keep these alive under a small light in a cupboard and last couple of days I’ve noticed they are sprouting there 2nd set of leaves :-),my question is where I go from now,soon as tent is up will it be ok to put them under the 600w hps dual spectrum in my cooltube,also when do I start feeding them?i got told in the shop to get 3 feeds all growth technology ionic nutrient solution,pk boost,soil grow and soil bloom,but guy in shop never said much about ph up and down but he did sell me a ph test kit,so do I still need these?thankyou :-)

• Like 1

If you are going with the tent inside the attic space, I'd recommend wrapping the tent in some insulation sheets. I'm in the attic and it's not insulated so it's a lifesaver in the winter. Summer might be an issue though as once it gets past a certain temp, you are fighting a losing battle regardless. I try not to grow over the summer because it gets up to 30c as soon as a bit of sun comes out but it should help protect the tent from absorbing all the ambient heat, upto a point. Bringing intake air from inside your house will also massively help with high temps. I picked up insulation wrapping for 20 bucks a roll. One roll covers my 120x60x150 tent. A lot cheaper than insulating a whole attic.

On nutes / feeding etc. When to feed is based on the soil you use. If you are using something like biobizz all mix you can be certain the soil will sustain the plants for longer before having to introduce additional nutrients. A light mix like biobizz light mix or plant magic is usually good for about 3-4 weeks before introducing nutes. I grow autos so can't comment on the needs of photos but photos veg for longer. With autos I can get through 3-4 weeks before having to introduce feed - they've usually started to go into flower by then. Normally give them nothing but root stimulant and bio silicon for those first 3-4 weeks and the soil keeps them going. Bit of grow and bloom during early flower then bloom only till the end. Wouldn't get hung up on PH if you are growing in soil as the soil acts as a buffer. Hydro stores tend to push PH up and down but it's not needed and probably do more harm in soil. If you water to run off you can test the PH. If its low I just give plain tap water (mine is PH 8.0 out the tap) to rebalance it. Get yourself a PH meter from Amazon or somewhere. Cost you 20 bucks or so. Wouldn't bother with the PH strips. If it's your first time growing, I would stick to grow and bloom with bio silicon and root juice for early veg. Fish mix is also good to have and can be used instead of grow. It's also mild and doesn't burn the plants as much if you do overfeed. Not saying there isn't a place for PK boosters etc but I found it simpler when starting out to stick with the basics for nutes.

Good luck with it. Attic growers live the extreme life with temp control, humping water and equipment up there etc. Both rewarding and frustrating at times.