DIY LED Strip build 350w

Diddy

Do you reckon I can push 600w through 10 strips diddy?

With a proper meanwell driver?

I'll order a driver and some heatsink next week and then it will just be a case of assembling the fucker then

39 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

Do you reckon I can push 600w through 10 strips diddy?

With a proper meanwell driver?

I'll order a driver and some heatsink next week and then it will just be a case of assembling the fucker then

Very pricey for 600w which is HLG-600h-48a - £180 - £240 i have seen prices for.

You can save money by making 2 half sized 300w jobs. The meanwell 320h-48a is probably the route i will go when i get round to it. You add a potentiomitor (cheapo dimmer) and you can run these softer than the 1.3a....which will be good for young plants and cuttings...... In your case where you are after 600w in total just stick 5 on each 320h-48a driver and you are good to go. 

Oh yeah the 320-48a is in the £60ish range so even buying bloody 4 of them youd still save money rather than one big 600w driver.

When you get your stuff just gives a shout if you need wiring diagram or something....but it relly is straight forward for the setups i have already sugested. 

Lastly the driver and setup i mentioned in the first post WILL work - no dimming though and full blast 350w like it lump it lol.....The actual drivers are a bit more exposed but then you "could" get a suitable heat resistant box to put it in and youd be fine.....or just mount the thing outside your tent/groom/away from water - and don't bloody touch the thing again the lrs basic series is actually made by meanwell and are designed for use in industry where operatives are either skilled (taught not to kill themselves) and also nobody give a shit how it looks. 

Choices and more choices lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Diddy said:

Sorry mate i was out panic buying free range eggs lol.

Off the top of my head they are 500mm each. On the setup in the first post you will drive 6 strips to achieve 350 watts. Swap your driver for a nicer dimmable meanwell which can output say 480 watts and your strips should handle that no probs. 

Glad you got some lol. I only bought them due top fomo - they will go in my emergency stock.

Yeah nice1 :yep: 2 x 320w sounds the way too go then 2 x assemblies would give me a better spread too thinking on it. 

One either side of the tent (1.5x1.5) both dimmable for early veg/summer heat.

Total output of 640w for when temps allow and dimmable when then don't... 

Even 2 x drivers at 60quid each plus framework/wiring I should be able to build 640w worth of lighting for less than £200!

Banging. Nice1 for posting about these diddy!

V.much appreciated bro.

• Like 3

lol gives us all something else to occupy our time eh lol. Personally i need to get my silicone gun out and fix a little leak on my diy drain to waste. Misses keeps saying "I thought you said these measures will save you time....." They don't understand haha.

• Like 3

Just grabbed 18 strips for £96, i chose to pay VAT as i have ordered before from the States, and Royal Fail charged me £15 to stick a card in my door and i still had to pay the VAT when i went to collect.

Works out to £5.33 a strip which is still a bargain imo

• Like 1

knowing what I do about leds, (naff all apart from 301B boards were where it was at last time I looked ), and being a super sceptic, how do these strips rate? 

10 being the best, 1 being duds? 

cheers, im tempted, I do like a bargain/….

@badbillybob not sure about posting links to other forums here.

If you google SL-B8V7N90L1WW the is a thread on the Roll forum about these and i see a member called Diddy posting on it lol@Diddy

He probably knows better, but from what i read these are LM301A diodes " LM301B diodes are 11.7% more efficient than LM301A" so not as good, they need more voltage etc... but compared to the HPS i am running now, these will be a huge difference imo

But like yourself, i know next to nothing about leds, so i may be corrected

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

knowing what I do about leds, (naff all apart from 301B boards were where it was at last time I looked ), and being a super sceptic, how do these strips rate? 

10 being the best, 1 being duds? 

cheers, im tempted, I do like a bargain/….

Not got them yet lol. But thy are using the "latest" samsung chips. Diyled is really the man but it's a wee bit cheeky asking his opinions and expertise (Although he ALWAYS gives these for free) when we are not buying from him. Id say they are a bargain mate - The othe suppliers are still charging approx 20-25 per strip for these exact strips. So same diodes as your 301b boards. Better spread as you can spread each strip out a bit more than you can say a qb288 - where all 288 leds are within a 300/600mm board - which works well but you have hot spots that imho "wastes" light. Better to have a even spread as possible. 

The top number of watts per square foot is widely accepted as 32watts per square foot. So a 1.2x1.2m tent would want about 500w of led MAXIMUM with no hotspots. When you go over this figure you will actually decrease your yield. You can sort this out and have evn more light by adding Co2...but im afraidthat is above my paygrade/understanding I like to walk and jog before running lol.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Subutai said:

@badbillybob not sure about posting links to other forums here.

If you google SL-B8V7N90L1WW the is a thread on the Roll forum about these and i see a member called Diddy posting on it lol@Diddy

He probably knows better, but from what i read these are LM301A diodes " LM301B diodes are 11.7% more efficient than LM301A" so not as good, they need more voltage etc... but compared to the HPS i am running now, these will be a huge difference imo

But like yourself, i know next to nothing about leds, so i may be corrected

Had to re-post on there mate as it was that thread that gave me the heads up. Fairs fair and all that. As for the diodes ect and how "good" they are lol. Trust me they will do the job. Just build something for the area your trying to light. The price of these on arrow they are the best bang for buck/pound that you are going to find anywhere right now. There are much better leds available much much more efficent much much better spectrum's mixed/dialled in all of that. DIYLED has an astonishing range and if he spots someone with new tech Ive got to be fair he seems to be on it in a flash. Nicha's are considered the "best" at the moment but the cost what the "best" should cost...and they are not easily accessible without shipping from other side of planet and having a nice surprise from customs a few weeks later in the form of a nice bill.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diddy said:

Had to re-post on there mate as it was that thread that gave me the heads up. Fairs fair and all that. As for the diodes ect and how "good" they are lol. Trust me they will do the job. Just build something for the area your trying to light. The price of these on arrow they are the best bang for buck/pound that you are going to find anywhere right now. There are much better leds available much much more efficent much much better spectrum's mixed/dialled in all of that. DIYLED has an astonishing range and if he spots someone with new tech Ive got to be fair he seems to be on it in a flash. Nicha's are considered the "best" at the moment but the cost what the "best" should cost...and they are not easily accessible without shipping from other side of planet and having a nice surprise from customs a few weeks later in the form of a nice bill.

I am glad you posted mate, been looking at getting rid of HPS for a while now, as during the summer its a nightmare keeping the heat down.

quick question, for working out what i need. how many watts are these per strip?

got a

80x80 cutting/seedling tent

80x80 veg tent

1.2 x 1.2m flower tent

11 hours ago, Subutai said:

I am glad you posted mate, been looking at getting rid of HPS for a while now, as during the summer its a nightmare keeping the heat down.

quick question, for working out what i need. how many watts are these per strip?

got a

80x80 cutting/seedling tent

80x80 veg tent

1.2 x 1.2m flower tent

Ok so watts per strip depends on how "hard" you drive these things. How hard = how many amps you are pushing through. If you look at the data for these strips im sure it says 1.38a (1380Ma) being the test current......but strangely it also says that this is the MAX current. So you "could run each strip at say 1amp......why would you do this ? Because they will run cooler.....but you would then need more to achieve your wattage goal.

Lets say the 1st setup I mentioned on page one. That driver is a 350w output with 7.3a spread across the amount of strips you have.......you could put ten strips on that driver they will all take 730Ma each.....way under there test current but super efficient ect ect.

What im getting at is there is no real watts per strip (Well there is if we look at max current) it is all about which driver you marry it up to and also how many strips you put on each driver.

All of these strip builds look scary when you 1st look and the numbers can look bewildering....they are not really though.

When selecting a strip (Any of these strips by either samsung or bridgelux or indeed any others) - be Boring - download the data sheet. Scan through the data sheet and you will see information such as Max Current - Max Voltage - Forward Voltage ect ect

Then when you have selected you strip you work out what driver you need to run your strip. Loads of configurations will work. But you do want the correct voltage +-1 to drive each strip or group of strips.....You can alter the amps that you drive through each strip upto the Max rated amps....Again it depends what your trying to light and how efficiently you want it lit......

To work out your needs for your areas then convert your area to square feet

1.2m x1.2m tent is 16 square feet roughly.

We want to aim no higher than 32w per square foot (Not my figures but gen accepted as the point where your plants wont thank you for more WITHOUT adding Co2.

So your 1.2m tent is 16 squ foot multiply that by 32 = 512w max for that tent/area - So 500w is really in the ball park of what you want - actually when you look at drivers then 480w are common (1st post on this thread) and cheap too.

I don't completely say just build it  cheap ass as possible...merely pointing out that you CAN do with the page one setup. Much better do what Dogee is going to do and select a nice driver with dimming capabilities that you can then use in many situations starting running them soft for baby plants then a little harder for veg and then full tilt for flower. 

But having said all that we can do the same thing without dimming by moving the light up/down to get the same effect....ie run the light at full tilt from day one and just adjust the distance from plant to light.....

• Like 4

Im not looking for an argument here, because , like I said I know pretty much f all about leds, but I  asked another grower about these and he gave me the following advice. 

lumens/Watt @ Current - Test 126 lm/W, your HPS is stronger than that watt for watt for these strips.

I have never run them personally, but with those numbers I wouldn't either. It is no diss to anyone, this is from Samsung's own data. I honestly thought it was a misprint so I did the power calculation manually again, it is correct. That is the max running power and yes you might underdrive them, but I can't see how you are gonna be getting a 50% efficiency boost by underdriving, or you have to underdrive so much that the overall system cost becomes ridiculous with so many strips

Vero COB: 165lm/w

Cree COB: 175lm/w

Samsung: usually ranging from 175 - 220lm/w depending on which exact diode we are talking about and the system built around it, however the upper end of that number is under very specific conditions and a 5000K for the test, which tests higher than 3000K as a feature of how LED light is made generally, the higher kelvins are always stronger

Basically you don't get 220lm/w in any real world conditions I have seen personally

but yeah 126 versus 175 is a straight 28%ish loss right out of the box..

Hmm maybe not such a bargain, but they are a cheap way into L|E|Ds I suppose, but is there any benefit, given that the HPS will out perform them?

Like I said, not looking for an argument and I wouldn't know where to start by finding out lm/watt figures, but I respect his opinion..

My opinion- being a cynical Scot who has learned the hard way before , sometimes you do get what you pay for, maybe its not such a bargain if the system is cheap to build, but output wise, the HPS will beat it all day long? maybe not, maybe im wrong here, I dunno, what do you think?

Edited by badbillybob

Not getting into the hps vrs led argument lol. You could say the same about any led light mate. These chips are good gen 3 chips. These chips at other shops are £25 each. Digikey if you want to check. There are hundreds or probably thousands of threads showing good yield from gen 2 chips less efficient ect but damm good results. You can see such threads on this very forum.

End of the day some people don't believe that you can get very desirable results using led. That's fine and its for others to argue over as I simply just put up a deal for those who want to try led.

It's kind of nice to replace your 12" fan with a 4" and a couple of pc fans blowing over the ladies lol. 

End of the day it is what it is. 

• Like 2

im not trying to make it a hps v led argument mate, its just that I already have the HPS,

im just saying that finaincially its going to cost a lot to replace my hps with these LEDs and the leds I would change them for are going to be less efficient, per watt of energy used, so the electric savings wont be relevant, that's all. therefore,

And at the end of the day with no energy saving, and less lm per watt, it wouldn't be worth my while using these LEDS, that's all. 

Im not knocking you for highlighting the offer, because it may well be usefull to someone who wants to try LED and doesn't mind the cost.