DIY LED Strip build 350w

Diddy

Cheap as build for 350w of samsung double row led gen 3 and all that jazz.

Parts list

SL-B8T7N90L1WW x 6 -    on sale at arrows @ £3.94 a pop for a 2 footer ish. £24

Cheap as driver that has exposed parts and gets hot too touch - so mount AWAY/OUT OF growroom - also you could get an enclosure (Heat proof like metal or some such).

LRS-350-48 £26

2 lengths of this alu stuff - https://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/3-8-in-x-3-8-in-x-1-16-in-x-1-16-in-aluminium-channel (about £16) ish 

Oh and get yourself some 2.5mm cable solid not stranded lets say £10 for 20m 2.5 T+E

So total is £76 for a 300w samsung led light. You could make the same again for about £50 more by swapping out the driver for a "proper" meanwell which could give you dimming ect.

Hope that helps someone. BTW IF you see that I have made a mistake please mention it as I am by no means an "expert".

• Like 10

4 quid that seems very cheap for a samsung strip, there about £25 usually ??

Do you get stung on import tax ?

Nice idea though, id definitely go meanwell on the driver in a grow room environment, their solid !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diddy said:

BTW IF you see that I have made a mistake please mention it as I am by no means an "expert".

I wouldn't recommend using twin and earth to connect this. T&E is not designed for this purpose, I would recommend using flex cable. 

• Like 1

Twin and earth is fine from the output side of the driver and connecting then with the hook up wire to the strips. I run all my lights with it.

Toke...

• Like 1

Im a spark T&E is much better than flex for this application lol. Also these have been this price on arrow only for 3 days. Lastly they are still £20+ on the other sites.

• Like 1

Also you will note that the other flavours 3500k ect in that range on arrow are all similarly priced. I imagin that there is a huge stockpile of these somewhere on the planet and they prob need clearing before they bring out a new line.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Diddy said:

Im a spark T&E is much better than flex for this application lol. Also these have been this price on arrow only for 3 days. Lastly they are still £20+ on the other sites.

So am I and I'm a little worried that you think it's ok to connect moveable equipment with twin and earth. 

I stand by my previous statement that flex would be the correct choice. For starters, a solid core would be liable to snap when exposed to movement or vibration.

I'm genuinely interested to hear how you would justify this to your NICieC man? (Not looking for an argument, just to understand the logic or regs you used to reach this decision)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mar-mite said:

I bet you'd be a nightmare spark to work alongside lol

Because safety is my primary concern?  

I'm sorry for trying to make the world a safer place!  Just as well your opinion is a moo point. You know, like a cows opinion, it doesn't matter:P

• Like 2

When you click the link the price is now showing as $29.42??

Is that for 6 strips then?

Or has the price gone up coz I'm sure it was cheaper than that this morning??

• Like 1

@Ned Flanders  I know what I'd do:). If it were a fixed installation then I wouldn't have a problem with twin and earth. In this instance we are talking about light fitting that will be moved up and down and this is why I would only use flex. I certainly wouldn't recommend solid cable over stranded for the same reasons. I would also question why a 350W fitting (draw less than 1.5a) would need a 2.5 cable but now it just looks like I'm spoiling for a fight(nothing could be further from the truth, I just want folks to be as safe as possible from an electrical standpoint)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dodgee said:

When you click the link the price is now showing as $29.42??

Is that for 6 strips then?

Or has the price gone up coz I'm sure it was cheaper than that this morning??

Yep its gone up from this morning when i checked ! Twas $4 something now its $29 for one !

I hope someone grabbed some at the original price !

Did you get any @Diddy ?

Edited by LA LUNA
  • Like 3