2020 Journal ,Indigo Berry & Gorilla Girl

Michael Luchóg

Hi folks . Big thanks to the fellas on the Sweet Seeds team for another competition .

First ,second ,third ,and each time I have a cut or two from the year before . I'm just flowering out the last San Fernando clone ,and it's very nice ,mild and tasty . Time to make room for some more sweeties . 

Ten days ago I dropped a few seeds into water ,and moved them to pots when they cracked two days later . I threw down four Gorilla Girl and four Indigo Berry kush ,and because I let things get a bit cool ,coupled with wet compost ,I lost four seedlings to damping off . There is one struggling and may pull through but for now ,fingers crossed ,I have two Gorilla Girl and two Indigo Berry kush . 

The other variety I received are autos and I will grow and show those off ,later in the year outdoors . I have two or three other Sweet seeds in a drawer ,from last year so I'm considering throwing those into water ,only that wasn't the variety I chose and I didn't plan for damping off .lol

I'm using gritty ,homemade compost . It's mostly screened peat from a bog ,that micro nutrient rich ,tan coloured sand for putting green turf sod ,myco fungi ,fluffy brown soil and years of dry ,decayed debris from under an old hedge . 

I'm using seaweed extract ,a molasses based feed and I don't think I need much else . I have other chemical feeds ,biobizz and coco feeds etc but steering away from them . No point in using myco fungi and killing the micro and macro nutrients ,I guess . I guess all compost will need leaching and aerating at some stage too . 

The seedlings are under a 250 watt metal halide ,with a standard household fan moving air . The tent is a DR90 and the door is open for now ,no filter or extract . The weather is unusually mild actually ,and the compost dried a lot on top over the last day or two . I find it hard to guage the weight of the pot . With a heavy-ish grow medium ,it's heavy when dry or throws you off when you've been using plain peat or coco only . 

The plants ,should the survive ,well they'll be moved to a tighter space ,120 cm I think ,from floor to an apex roof ,with a 315 watt CMH bulb . The same space as last year . If the plants are big and prostrate enough I may add another light ,a 250 watt . 

All the best to everyone ,keep it green . 

A snowdrop ,at least something's flowering . large._20200108_190959.JPGlarge._20200105_121535.JPGlarge._20200108_190932.JPG

• Like 20

Good luck Michael! Have you used your homemade compost before? Interesting to see how things develop here mate :yinyang:

• Like 5

@Michael Luchóg my Montbretia are already coming through and so are the cultivated Bluebells it's been so mild I didn't expect to see them until another couple of months!

I like the look of the strains you're entering, good luck with the competition - hope you bring some good craic to your diary cara!

• Like 3

Hi @Michael Luchóg - thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about the damping off, but I'm glad you still have a pair of each to hopefully produce something nice for you. Very interesting that you've made your compost. Good luck with the grow :yep:

• Like 4

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 9:26 PM, Asterion said:

Good luck mate :yep:

Same to you buddy ,take it easy . 

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 10:14 PM, Openairbud said:

Good luck Michael! Have you used your homemade compost before? Interesting to see how things develop here mate :yinyang:

Thanks @Openairbud,I've made different mixes ,but always use a good bit of peat . Once there's no gnats ,or worse ,I like to keep the grow as organic as possible . 

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 10:06 AM, Exhale said:

@Michael Luchóg my Montbretia are already coming through and so are the cultivated Bluebells it's been so mild I didn't expect to see them until another couple of months!

I like the look of the strains you're entering, good luck with the competition - hope you bring some good craic to your diary cara!

Go raibh maith agat @Exhale ,it'll be ninety ,the craic ,when the diaries done :smokin:That pluirin sneachta (snowdrop) she's a modern cultivar ,nothing spectacular though ,they don't sparkle .They're up elsewhere though ,and I haven't looked down at the floor of montbretia ,but pulled away tufts of gooey long leaves last week .There's nothing else will get in when they colonise a patch . Beir bua buddy .

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 5:32 PM, Sweet Seeds-tommy said:

Hi mate!

Welcome to the competition :yep:

Nice start. Thanks for sharing and sweet smokes!

tommy

Remind me ,who are you again ? :ermm: Gracias por la semillas ,I'll give it a good shot anyway . 

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 9:07 PM, delagdo said:

Hi @Michael Luchóg - thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about the damping off, but I'm glad you still have a pair of each to hopefully produce something nice for you. Very interesting that you've made your compost. Good luck with the grow :yep:

Thanks @delagdo. What is compost only different debris ? I'd be tempted to use the same pots and soil ,with the ''no till'' approach (because you can't get a machine ,let alone a pick axe into a grow room) ,use some legumes to dress up the grow room and add colour .Asides from that ,if using the same compost continuously , it'd benefit from being turned and broken up somewhat ,some half decayed roots removed and riddled . I do love the way roots grow like crazy in coco ,and it's easy to guage watering regimes with it ,or mixing up a light compost/coco mix .

Anyway ,the temperatures ,well they're up and down ,15 degrees was the lowest ,for two hours of darkness . I have switched the timer to 24/7 ,while the weather's so windy and cold . Also a small six inch USB fan died on me ,after a dozen falls from my clumsy hands . It was a steel blade and far better than the plastic clip on types . I had only some large fans and inline fans ,which were all a bit too strong and noisy . I bought a nine inch fan today ,it's also quite noisy ,similar to the small USB fan but more powerful ,a tad too powerful .I've stuck it in the tent anyway ,pointed into the corner .

large._20200114_103020.JPGlarge._20200114_112818.JPGlarge._20200114_112935.JPG

• Like 11

Hi my friend!

Welcome to the 6th Sweet Seeds® Grow Diary Competition. I hope you enjoy it!

Best of luck!
jaypp

• Like 4

just by calling your diary a journal has ruled you out for the wooden spoon you posh bugger ..journal ...

all the best and good luck chap.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, jadenugs said:

Nice start to your grow and diary mate ;)

Your medium sounds interesting. Hope it serves you well, good :lucky:

Thanks @jadednugs . You too sir ,a little luck and some gardening is all .

2 hours ago, Sweet Seeds -Jaypp said:

Hi my friend!

Welcome to the 6th Sweet Seeds® Grow Diary Competition. I hope you enjoy it!

Best of luck!
jaypp

Thanks @Sweet Seeds -Jaypp. Will do my best buddy 

12 minutes ago, vince noir rock n roll star said:

just by calling your diary a journal has ruled you out for the wooden spoon you posh bugger ..journal ...

all the best and good luck chap.

What's the story Ruairi ? lol If only you knew ,I've walked out of hairdressers because of the music on the stereo but there's where my snobbish-ness ends . You say loft ,I say attic ,sofa = couch ,and I'm using your tongue,:upside: but I remember thinking ''Diary'' was more posh ,and became accustomed the word until I hadn't typed it in a while ,maybe . Anyway I can see your babies are flying along ,nice soft shading . Diffusion ,I tell ya , fission ,fusion , flux capacitors , I know where you'll be heading there is only spoons for cutlery . 

• Like 6

Hi folks ,hope you're all well . The weather has turned real cool ,-2 outside this morning and it was 22 degrees with the light on in the grow room ,so not too bad but could be better ,and the heat is drying the compost on top to a crust ,so I'll mist the plants someday soon . I wet the floor a little to raise humidity .

Nothing else to report really .large._20200118_132729.JPG

Take it easy .:skin_up:

• Like 10

All the best with your grow Michael. I see we are both doing the Indigo Berry Kush! Will be watching with much interest at how yours get on.

Also hope your home made soil works out a treat for you.

• Like 4

Lookin good there mate aye :yep:

Interestin to see homemade compost always like tae see someone doin it themselves like

Aw the best bud

• Like 4