Ranec

large.IMG_20200127_193012.jpg

After finally getting my ass in gear and buying a new loupe it seems my gut feeling was right - this girl is gonna need a little longer than the 10 weeks Dutch Passion estimate, but as @badbillybob pointed out canopy temps have been rather low so that's to be expected...

This week's mix - 5.33ml/l Ionic Hydro Bloom, 0.66ml/l Silver Bullet Roots and 0.33ml/l calmag - seems agreeable so far and is holding steady at around pH 5.8 and ec 1.6. 

• Like 2

large.IMG_20200129_193014_1_20200129194352864.jpg

Another inexpertly cropped pic but even so the signs of leaf curl and clawing are there - not sure if it's the low canopy temps (17-19°c), the high root temps (20-22°c) or the dips in pH (down to 5.3 the other day :wanker:) that have done it but all the leaves on the flowering spikes are twisted - it's kinda pretty but I'm a bit pissed I didn't catch it earlier - will get some broader perspective picks up soon...

Read an interesting article on psilocybin and mental health today so now I'm thinking that maybe mushrooms might be an idea for a future grow :g:

large.IMG_20200201_192611_20200201204014965.jpg

So after a top up with 5 litres of unadjusted water and 20ml of grow my pH has decided to rise to 6.3 - nothing a drop or two of pHdown won't fix but it's obviously not helped :rolleyes:

Time wise I reckon another week or so - the trichs on the main buds are clouding up slowly but I'm not going to wait for full development, this girl's too big and slow due to the low canopy temps (and probably pH swings and their associated lockouts too) so I'm going to cut a little earlier and put alot of it into the freezer fresh and ready for a hash run :skin_up:

• Like 2

large.IMG_20200201_192706_20200202170521901.jpg

Thanks @marcjuna  :yep: she's probably ready to harvest now but I think leaving her another week or so won't hurt..

@Cainedbutable my sense of smell isn't great but I get diesel and pine resin from a leaf rub and leamon zest and a bit of spice from a stem rub, will be interesting to see how the cured bud tastes versus the bubble hash :skin_up:

The one 'bright' side to my low temps is the beautiful purple colour the sun leaves are showing - if this girl smokes as well as she grows and looks then I'll definitely be running her again :thumsup:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

large.00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200218160607274_20200218190718053.jpg

Pic says it all really, even after another fortnight of mild neglect (ec remained stable at 1.3 whilst pH rose from 5.6ish to 6.5ish) this girls frosting up nicely.

Plan is to get her down and hung ready for drying over the next few days, will update when I'm done :yep:

• Like 3

A picture speaks a thousand words....

large.IMG_20200221_112729_20200225220455436.jpg

large.IMG_20200221_114123_1_20200225181550593.jpg

large.IMG_20200221_123639_1_20200225220140041.jpg

So after emptying the res and raising the lights for the final 12hrs of lights on my girl had around 36hrs in the dark before I set about her with the snips. The best 20 stems have been hung up to start drying whilst there's most of a food waste bag stuffed full of frosty leaves and air-bud in the freezer ready for a hash run :skin_up:

After over drying my last plant I decided to only partially dry this crop before trimming it up and putting it in kilner jars with boveda 62 packs - fingers crossed the cure will come off nicely and I'll have an ounce or two to keep me ticking over whilst I clean down and adjust my grow space ready for run 3 :yep:

Edited by Ranec
Spellingz

I wouldn't be putting partially dried buds in kilners if i were you,when you think they're nearly ready pop em in paper bags for a few days.(morrison's home delivery comes in ideal paper bags.)

Thanks @MK11 but the boveda packs should maintain a constant 62% rh within the jars - I'm gonna pop a couple of buds from different stems in a jar with a hygrometer tonight and check it tomorrow to see how the drying is going

• 1 month later...

large.IMG_20200418_180411_20200419093936771.jpg

So after 9 weeks curing and extensive testing I'm happy to report that this grow of Dutch Passion's Night Queen was a big success, yielding around 4.25oz (120g) or about

0.55g/watt. 

As can be seen from the pic above the jars are a mix of darker and lighter buds, the darker being solid and giving a more substantial stone and the lighter coloured (popcorn) bud being fluffier but with a nice gentle high. Due to poor trimming through veg and flower this crop is about a 50/50 mix of light and dark but with the lesson learned from this and previous efforts I'm hoping to improve on that next time around.

Drying turned out to be a little more complex than I'd reckoned - after letting the stalks hang for 10 days they felt pretty dry but after popping a couple in a jar with a hygrometer the rh was still around 80%, so after trimming I popped the buds back in jars with a few silica desiccant sachets and humidity has been dropping slowly ever since - 9 weeks later and were down to mid-60s, soon be time to finally use those boveda packs :rofl:

With my jars full for the meanwhile it's time to start prepping for the next run - I'm going to do one more single plant nft scrog then try my hand at a recirculating dripper fed micro sog - but before any of that I want to tidy and sort out all the kit and equipment I have up there, working around beams in a loft isn't the easiest at the best of times :rolleyes:

Thanks to all who tagged along for the ride, stay safe and keep on growing :skin_up:

• Like 4

• 7 months later...