Ranec

large.IMG_20191217_193050_1.jpg

After moving the thermohygrometer inside the main crown I'm now slightly happier as temps and humidity within the canopy seem to be relatively stable at 12-14°c and 60- 63%, a little cooler than I'd like but when temps outside the tent have dropped as low as 6°c some nights it's not too bad - the res heater has definitely payed for itself as with a root temp of 20-22°c this girl seems to be chugging away quite happily.

As you may have figured out I'm a little paranoid about bud rot (hence the savage defoliations), but as with my revelation about veg time (sometimes less is more) I'm now thinking I should have waited untill the stretch was over then started thinning out the canopy from the top down before removing any bud sites that aren't going to make the grade, but hey-ho, hindsight is always 20/20 :skin_up:

So I might have got a bit scalpel happy this evening..... 

large.IMG_20191220_195800.jpg

I'm not too worried tho, this girl seems pretty bullet proof thanks to sturdy Indica genetics - I've got Female Seeds Blueberry Cheesecake lined up for my next run so it'll be interesting to see how the varieties differ..

Res change was as per - 6.66ml/l Ionic Hydro Bloom and 0.66ml/l each of Silver Bullet Roots and cal-mag - and temps are all within limits. 

Spotted the first signs of trichomes today which had cheered me up no end, now if only I could find my loupe and macro lens :doh: :rofl:

large.IMG_20191220_195921.jpg

• Like 2

large.IMG_20191228_201555.jpg

Health wise I must say I reckon my girl is looking pretty happy, but with the thermohygrometer within the canopy giving temps between 17.6 and 15.3°c and rh in the mid to low 60s I'm still a little concerned about rot - Plan A is to try to improve airflow by removing the veg cab from the intake run and tee-ing it off from the remote airbox, fingers crossed this works as I haven't come up with a decent Plan B yet.. lol

This week's res change consisted of 6.6ml/l Ionic Hydro Bloom and 0.6ml/l each of Silver Bullet Roots and calmag and settled to pH 5.5 and EC 2.1 without adjustment :skin_up:

large.IMG_20191228_201755.jpg

• Like 1

you would be better off getting some form of heater in there. 

your temps are way too low. it will affect bud production mate. the higher temps will also reduce the humidity. 

• Like 1

Thanks @badbillybob, I try not to change things around too much mid grow but I would like to get a heater in there for next grow, just need to decide if I go for two tube heaters or a ceramic heat bulb now :g:

• Like 1

do you have an electric fan heater? if so aim it at the intake and put it on a timer. 

you really need to get those temps up mate.

• Like 1

@badbillybob temps are up from 12-14°c (17th Dec) to 15-17°c (measured yesterday) which is better but still far from ideal I reckon :unsure:

rh is always gonna be an issue whilst I have the res in the tent, 10-15 litres of water sat at 24°c makes for damp air but happy roots :fart:

ETA - intake is from a ceiling fan within the house so not much chance of subtly rigging up a fan heater to blow into it I'm afraid lol

Edited by Ranec
Eta

res temp s too high too, at 24 degrees, you want te temp down around 19 degrees,  I would move the res out of the tent myself. and use ice blocks if you don't have a chiller

and you are about 10 degrees shy of where you want them to be temp wise, but its up to you, I know what I would do.

• Like 1

See I'm a bit dubious about dropping the res temp until I can raise the air temps Vince, keeping the root mat at 20-22°c is probably why this girl is doing so well dispute the low temps and my brutal defoliations (although a dose of Silver Bullet Roots with each res change might also help too lol).

I'm gonna strip everything down once this grow is finished to make some adjustments ready for run 3 so I'll probably grab a couple of tube heaters then.

My long term plans have always included a remote res and it would be easy enough if I was gonna stick with nft but I'm currently accumulating the bits to build my own recirculating dripper system and until that's finished I'm not sure how I'd work it - solenoids hooked up to a float valve in the catch tray is getting a little too complex for my liking :unsure:

large.IMG_20200104_190509_1.jpg

With the swell now starting the buds are looking good, and whilst only the top half of the biggest colas might be primo bud I'm sure looking forward to running the trim and popcorn through my bubble bags :skin_up:

Res change was something approximating my usual mix (scaled back my usual volumes as I didn't fill the res to capacity), will check and adjust pH and EC tomorrow..

• Like 1

large.IMG_20200110_200812_20200110205241701.jpg

After tweaking my back last weekend I couldn't face clambering up the step ladder into the loft each day so pretty much left this week to the grace of the gods - it was quite a relief to open the tent and find things doing so well.!. :skin_up:

Temps are stable at 15-18°c but luckily rh has dropped to 45-55%. As it turns out my guestimations for this mix seem to have worked out alright, over the week the EC has raised from 2.3 to 2.4 and the pH from 5.7 to 6.0

This girl looks like she should go the 10 wks advertised but I really should try and find my loupe and start checking those trichromes 

large.IMG_20200110_200750_1_20200110210348686.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

large.IMG_20200118_200010_1_20200118205303028_20200118205908928.jpg

Going into week 8 of flower and things are coming along well - thanks to my poor training and trimming I don't think I'm going to get a huge haul of prime bud from this girl which is a little disappointing, but I feel like my skills are improving so it's all good.

For this week's res change I've decided to drop the relative concentrations slightly to 6ml/l Ionic Hydro Bloom, 0.5ml/l Silver Bullet Roots and 0.33ml/l Ionic CalMag. 

As ever I'll give it 24hrs to settle then adjust as necessary.

Canopy temps are steady at 15-18°c with rh around 50-55% and root temps at 20-22°c.

• Like 1

large.IMG_20200121_194157_20200121202236161.jpg

So far this lady seems happy enough with the new mix ratios although I have added 0.05ml/l liquid silicone tonight to bring the pH back up a little.

Plan is to run lower concentrations again next week and then a 10% mix for a couple of days to flush before the chop.

Things are looking good to finish around the advertised 10 weeks, the flowers themselves smell quite earthy / spicy but a stem rub reveals lots of lemony aromas - with a good cure I reckon this should be a lovely smoke :skin_up: