Ranec

Having proved myself a rather lackadaisical grower in my previous grow diary I thought it was about time I did things properly..

So today I put a Night Queen in to soak with a couple of drops of Shogun Start. Plan is to let it veg for a couple of weeks or so, top twice then plug it in to the NFT system and start to scrog.

Here she is bathing under a 65w HLG board from @diyleduk, still not decided if I'll refurb my homemade veg cab or buy a small veg tent and move everything upstairs...

large.IMG_20190920_150336.jpg

I'm pretty excited to get these beans going, they were part of my very first seed purchase and I really like what I've read about the strain :yep:

• Like 5

Cheers @tokenroll, I guess leave the light off untill she's cracked and moved into a starter block?. She's a photo, dunno why but I've just never really considered doing autos :bag:

Welcome aboard @ison, it's only my 2nd run but I've found nft to be pretty easy and forgiving so far, although I've a suspicion that owes more to a weekly dose of silver bullets than to anything I've done :ninja:

• Like 2

large.IMG_20190922_133633.jpg

So it looks like Queenie is eager :yep:

Pre-soaked a rock wool starter cube in pH 5.5 water and popped her in, probably gonna wait untill she's up before I flick the light on to its lowest setting and start an 18/6 cycle.

• Like 3

Good luck man....ive done the autos outdoors for the past 2yrs so interested to see how they go on indoors.

Edited by Cainedbutable
  • Like 1

large.IMG_20190927_205949.jpg

All my germination anxieties dissolved on day 3 when she finally popped her head up - my first grow didn't start brilliantly but since I switched to one of @diyleduk 65w veg boards things have gone like a dream, gonna check what wattage I'm running then try and tweek lighting and ventilation to see if I came find the sweet spot.

Super pleased this beans looking like she's a go-er, I'll probably slot her into a 4x4 cube over the next couple of day then let her root out before dropping her into the nft tray. Will top at the 3rd node then top each new leader again after 3 nodes as that seemed to work well last time. I want to start lst-ing the leaders earlier and try and keep to 4 main shoots until I drop the cage - shit got a little crazy last time as the growth explosion coupled with my reluctance to strip stuff out lead to alot of the side shoots getting tucked away under the canopy / screen.

Feed is currently Shogun Start at the recommend rate, will move over to a half strength mix of Ionic Hydro Grow once she looks settled :thumsup:

• Like 3

large.5d9268eb96b78_IMG_20190930_2055132.jpg

With multiple roots popping out the bottom of the propagation cube I thought it was about time I moved my girl into a larger cube to start the veg stage.... :skin_up:

Feed is still Shogun Start, I mixed up half a litre so once that's finished I'll move her onto grow and start introducing some Silver Bullet Roots :yep:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I missed an update - no biggy but looking back at the last pic I realised just how quickly this little lady is growing up...

large.IMG_20191011_074405.jpg

Or at least was until I tenderly decapitated her.... lol

I'll be moving over to a half strength mix of Ionic Hydro Grow and Silver Bullet Roots next feed - there's plenty of roots coming through the bottom of the 4" cube now but I'll keep her in the prop cab untill I see how she's recovering before moving her to her new home in the loft 

Edited by Ranec
Spellingz
  • Like 4

large.IMG_20191018_205155.jpg

With roots and shoots all looking happy and healthy I thought it was about time to drop this lady into the nft system.

large.IMG_20191018_211708.jpg

She had her fist feed of Ionic Hydro Grow and a drop of Silver Bullet Roots a few days ago and seems to like it, first fill of the res consisted of 10 litres tap water, 5ml of cal-mag (raised EC to 0.2), 45ml of grow and 4ml of silver bullets - final pH 5.9 and EC 1.5.

Turned the Scope220 down to 130ish watts to begin with, will turn the wattage up slowly before working the light down to 24" above the canopy..

With my tweeks to my grow space I'm hoping I'll be able to keep the environment reasonable over the winter months - the new res heater should keep root temps up whilst the reduced through flow of air keeps rh up and reduces the negative pressure within the tent, plus it has all but killed off any intake noise noticeable within the house - bonus :yep:

• Like 3

large.IMG_20191024_163856.jpg

A week in and she's looking good and growing well. Canopy temps are ranging from 17 to 25°c and the roots are at a constant 22°c thanks to the res heater. Pinched out a couple of unwanted lower side shoots and tucked the two leading stems back under the net this time but the master plan is to let them run up through the net before lst-ing them down and running them towards the corners. Making the correx top cover concertina open for res changes has saved me some height so I'm hoping to keep this grow low and wide.

Feed this week was 10l of tap water, 5ml of calmag, 45ml of Ionic Hydro Grow and 4ml of Silver Bullet Roots which came out at EC 1.5 and pH 5.9 with no adjustment needed - winner!. With res temps and pH sorted I'm just gonna keep an eye on things and up the nutrient levels and total volume as needed before transitioning to bloom nutes a week or so after the flip.

• Like 3

@Ranec looking great in there, these plants should fly shortly. Can I ask what you EC is from the tap as the clamag dose seems a little high per litre? Images are great btw.

Toke...

• Like 1

Thanks @tokenroll, I've found nft to be a great system to use and once they get going the growth can be phenomonal!. It caught me out last time so I thought I'd better start training as early as I could.

Straight out the tap the EC is 0.0 and 0.5ml calmag per litre brings it up to 0.2 - it's probably not necessary but like the silver bullets I chuck it in with every fresh tank just to be sure :skin_up:

And thanks again Toke - when I first started researching how to grow I read a lot of the diaries on here and yours always stood out as informative and excellently presented, quality stuff and truly inspirational  :yep:

@Ranec your one of the lucky ones to have good clean tap water, and I reckon your 0.2 edition of the calmag should be fine. Plants will soon tell you any way. The silver bullet solution seems to work well for you also. NFT is something I never tried, there used to be a lot of people on uk420 growing in nft they must of moved on. Nice to hear you enjoyed the diaries and no doubt then you know I have a good go at anything, as long as I have enough to last me a few months im all up for arsing about lol.

Take it easy. Toke...

• Like 1

@tokenroll I love nft, but then again having a background in the sciences the idea of soil-less growing and being able to run a sterile res always appealed to me....

That being said I am looking to build my own flood and drain system and run cuts in clay pebbles some time :ninja: - scrog is great if you have the time but I like the idea of maximizing usable space whilst minimizing time spent, which should also fill my jars to a point where I can comfortably kick back and maybe give breeding my own crosses a go.... :skin_up:

ETA - what you would call arsing about I like to think of as experimenting - the only difference being that I imagine I'm in a nice air-conditioned lab wearing a white coat and making notes on a clipboard whilst I do it lol

Edited by Ranec
Eta
  • Like 1