Nugs's 2019 HSO guerrilla diary

Hi folks

My beans arrived safe and sound yesterday. Thanks very much to @HSO-Mark and HSO for giving me the chance to grow out some more of their genetics. Especially when Mark has gone out of his way to make this possible, as I was late deciding whether I could get a grow on or not. :cheers: Bro, much appreciated :)

I was quite impressed with the Lost Coast Skunk last year. Even through the drought and me not getting water to them, they still did well and finished with no rot. This year I decided on trying out OG Kush Auto and Dedoverde Haze Auto and will be growing 2 of each along with the Dinafem's. Hopefully this year I'll do a better job and if we have another drought I'll get water to them.

large.4.jpg

OG Kush Auto
All the beans are nicely ripe and firm on the gentle pinch test. I chose the darkest and the largest which was a bit lighter in colour.

large.5.jpg

Dedoverde Haze Auto
Again they were all nice, healthy looking, firm and matured. I chose the darkest again and a larger lighter coloured one. To remove the vial I just sliced the top off the glue level with the wood with a Stanley knife, traced around the edge of the glue with the point of the knife and prized it out.

large.6.jpg

Some root riot cubes already wet from in the bag were placed in a tray in the prop to warm up while I sorted the beans out. The beans were then pushed into the holes to about 10mm and the holes plugged with bits from the corners of the cubes. I tried to get the bits pushed down to the beans without pushing the beans down further, to try and have moisture contact all round.

large.7.jpg

9th May 17:30
Because I've not soaked the beans or used paper towels I decided to give them just 2ml each of seaweed solution at 1ml/L to aid with germination and hopefully not leave the cubes too wet, before putting the prop lid on with the vents closed.

I've been dialling my veg cab in for the past week while I had some cucumber and tomato plants in the prop with the vent open and was averaging 23-27C and 83% humidity. Since removing the other plants, putting these in and closing the vent the temp was 25 and rose to 28 in a couple of hours so I'm just dialling the extractor fan in the cab to try and keep it around 25C. Humidity is still hovering around 83-84% so the cubes won't be drying out in a rush. My 135W led board is 37" above the cubes on full wattage so I can always dim this as well if needed. She's on 24/7 for now.

I'm hoping to see some life in 3 or 4 days and then I'll update :)

All the best for the season, stay safe and be lucky :v:

• Like 4

@jadenugs So glad they finally dropped mate. Sorry they took so long it was crazy with expos etc :)

You have them now and as promised as soon as they landed they you got cracking  :bong:

This year is going to be epic and I'm so happy your playing along this season  ;)

Until next week buddy  :yep:

Kind regards 

Mark..

• Like 3

@Andromedian :cheers: matey :bong:

All the very best to you and Zug too ;) I'll update on the germination later and catch up with some diaries, busy busy busy at the mo :yep:

@HSO-Mark Thankyou mate, it should be me apologising for being such an awkward twat lol

Got my eye on a new plot for next season so I should be a lot more organised and on time for then ;) It's dodgy as fuck as usual but doable haha, more excitement :D

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jadenugs said:

@Andromedian :cheers: matey :bong:

All the very best to you and Zug too ;) I'll update on the germination later and catch up with some diaries, busy busy busy at the mo

I have the same problem dude....can't keep up with everything on here...Diaries all over the shop lol

• Like 3

I think this is the busiest time of year for outdoor growers. 

ive germed mine, and if I get a knock, i'll deffo be ordering porridge for breakfast, but its worth it.

or it will be come September.

Your plots look great, with lovely soil, bring on the beans mate.

• Like 3

Hi farmers :)

The 2 Dedoverde Haze autos and one of the OG Kush  were up and running in 3 days and I was just waiting on the last OG. She emerged on the 4th day. I'm liking these root riot cubes for germing autos, saving the extra days in paper towels and possible stress when moving from them :) There's still a chance of stress when potting up the cubes though if I let the tap root get too long while waiting on stragglers to emerge and potting all at the same time. In future I think I'll pot each plant up as soon as it emerges, to be on the safe side.

13th May day 1

large.5ce3dab295fb7_DSC_3711ER.jpg

I made a mix of 50% Clover MP, 40% Wilko seedling compost to cool it down and 10% Canna coco to add some aeration.

large.5ce3dac2722cc_DSC_3714ER.jpg

Seedling bags filled level with the top of the 7cm holding pots which are just the right size. A sprinkling of TNC mycorrmax and soaking in a seaweed solution of 2ml/L from the bottom for about half hour until the myco was wetting. A good indication that the compost has wetted evenly.

large.5ce3dacc962b0_DSC_3715ER.jpg

Potted up and watered in with 20ml of the same seaweed solution. It's a bit awkward getting the top up compost down the sides of the cubes but a teaspoon does the job ;)

large.5ce3dad71d96f_DSC_3717ER.jpg

17th May day 5

Here they are on day 5 after having had a plain water soaking of 100ml on day 4. The slower OG catching up nicely. No tip burn or anything using this mix but I am thinking of lowering the Clover to 40% and upping the Wilko to 50% next time, in case of sensitive plants. The mix was a little hot for some of my Dinafem girls. I'm hoping this mix will see them all through for 2 weeks until the roots are developed enough to go out. We'll see and if not they'll get some fish mix or grow. I'll most probably give them a feed of fishmix anyway before they go out.

large.5ce3db35acd29_4R.jpg

20th May day 8

All 4 looking perky and healthy. OGs to the left. The slower to emerge OG Kush auto stretching past the Hazes. Let's see if she catches up with the other OG, she's off on one lol

large.5ce3db898e7eb_DSC_3755ER.jpg

That's it for now. I've got my other diary to start for another breeder and then I'll get the chance to catch up with your diaries :) If the long range forecast I've seen is anything near right we're gonna have a busy summer lugging water around lol

Onwards and upwards, best of luck :lucky:

• Like 4

@jadenugs Thanks for the detailed update mate ;)

The slow OG Kush Auto has caught up, they look to be experiencing no stress from the potting up from root riots to seedling bag's  :yep:

Next stage is plant out :bong:

Thanks for the outdoor update mate  :yep:

Kind regards 

Mark..

• Like 2

@HSO-Mark Cheers dude. Yeah the root riots are good. I've not had 1 seed casing stay on since I've been using them. Probably because the the sponge is dense and doesn't move as the sprouts push up, like with compost :yep:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2019 at 1:25 PM, jadenugs said:

Probably because the the sponge is dense and doesn't move as the sprouts push up, like with compost :yep:

Makes perfect sense  :yep:

Kind regards 

Mark. 

• Like 2

Long overdue update for day 13 and day 14 plant out.

Day 13
The girls were given 100ml of plain water every 2 days up until day 11. Then I started feeding 1ml/L PM Rootstim in their 100ml.
Day 12 I added 0.5ml Fish mix to the rootstim.

OG Kush autos
The 1st one that germed, looking good.

large.5cebd50f9fa72_H1R.jpg

The slow starter looking a bit hungry/blotchy on the first leaves

large.5cebd51de5a81_H2R.jpg

Dedoverde Haze autos
One of them looking good, just starting to show hunger on the cotyledons.

large.5cebd542d0b10_H3R.jpg

The other starting to look quite hungry.
Could have done with some fish mix a bit sooner in these small pots.

large.5cebd5559a501_H4R.jpg

Group shot.
OGs at the back

large.5cebd56261bac_H5R.jpg

Transit box
While I was waiting for plant out I made a transit box to fit my rucksack and keep them stress free on plant out.

I cut a piece of cardboard to bit the bases of 8 x 7cm pots and glued them to it with a hobby glue gun.

large.5cebd5898d32b_DSC_3760ER.jpg

The tops of the pots glued together to stop the cardboard base bending.

large.5cebd597b5ded_DSC_3761ER.jpg

I cut some more pieces of cardboard for the sides and tapered them from the tops of the pots to the bottoms to make sure the box fits snuggly in the bottom of the rucksack.
The back piece taped on.

large.5cebd5ac952ff_DSC_3762ER.jpg

All sides fitted and taped together with the front side left loose and bent down ready to receive the plants. The idea being to sit the carrier pots straight into these ones instead of transferring the seedling bags and disturbing the roots.

large.5cebd5b9d9941_DSC_3763ER.jpg

After this pic I glued the top corners at the back to give extra strength and prevent the sides folding in on the plants while in the rucksack. I then tested it and it fits like a glove. Nice and tight so no movement. I had to edge the sides down alternatively it was that snug. I've been lucky here finding seedling bags to fit  exactly in the pots and 8 pots fitting exactly in the rucksack :) Hope this idea helps someone wondering how to move their babies relatively stress free.

26th May Day 14 plant out

As planned I took them out on day 14 along with the Dinafems, without once pulling the bags out of the pots to check the roots all the time they'd been indoors. I'm being a good lad lol The bags are good for lifting out and checking but it probably still stresses them when placing back in because of the roots pointing downwards, so I refrained with these autos. They were fed 100ml containing 1ml/L Rootstim and 1ml/L Fish mix a few hours before taking them to their new home.

I started at the back left of the box putting the first pot in, then lifted the leaves to the right hand side to make room for the next plant to go in next to it. So on and so forth until they were all in nice and cosy. Then lifted the front side up and taped it in place, making sure no leaves got trapped at the edges. I never bothered with the glue this time as the front was resting against the sides so couldn't fold in.

I don't remember ever taking compost to a plot, I like the challenge of using the native soil and seeing if I can get the feeds right. I thought this time I'd take a small amount of Clover MP bagged in the bottom of my rucksack to line the holes and to give them a little bit of extra nutrients before the roots grow into the native soil, and give the nutes I've added to the native soil more time to break down and become available. So hopefully these will get off to a better start than usual. I put as much in as I could, but still leaving enough room for the box and it not be too high that when I pulled the drawstring tight it would fold the tops of the box in. With the top of the box being open I covered it with a plastic bag, pulled it down the sides and folded it underneath to contain plant odours. All good to go :)

Here's the HSOs and Dinafems ready to go to their new homes before taping the front up and placing in the rucksack. The HSOs at the front.

large.5cebfc44299fe_DSC_3784ER.jpg

No signs of human activity on approaching the plot but there were animal signs in and around it. Tracks through the nettles but they went under low bushes so I knew it was animals after initially feeling nervous :eek:

Then I noticed on one of the mounds of soil on top of a plant hole that a cheeky fucker had moved the weed mulch out of the way and made a hollow bed on the mound, nice soft loose soil. I'm guessing fox as I've seen them here before, as mentioned earlier. I'm hoping not deer but I doubt it as the tracks went under very low bushes.

I cleared a few thistles coming up between the holes and took a spade of soil out of each hole and chucked some compost in. There was just enough for about 2L each for the HSO and Dinafem holes.

large.5cebd5ec871b3_1plantoutR.jpg

I transplanted the HSOs first as they were at the front of the box and took a pic of one of the DH root balls. The others were all more or less the same, nice and healthy with lots of leaders but I didn't have time to take pics of them all. Unfortunately I forgot to take some Mycos with me but hopefully the population has already got a hold while in the bags. Hard to tell from this pic but it looks like there are plenty of roots with fine hairs on them.

large.5cebd6c0c0b3b_8HR.jpg

A hollow was made in the compost, plant sat in and compost packed up the sides the best I could with what I had before filling around it with the native soil and up to level. The soil in the holes was still quite loose so I did something I don't normally do and firmed it down a little. Not too much to restrict the roots but hopefully enough to give the plants more stability as they get taller.
Here's one of the OGs sat in compost waiting to be back filled.

large.5cebd6b396a7f_7HR.jpg

OG Kush auto #1
Back filled with copper collar added and waiting to be caged.

large.5cebd6cdac419_9HR.jpg

OG Kush auto #2

large.5cebd6dad8234_10HR.jpg

Dedoverde Haze auto #1
I knew I only had 8 of my old style collars at this plot and there's 12 plants going in. I couldn't be arsed going to my other plot from last season to get some spikey ones so I made 4 more  larger ones for ease of getting around the shorter plants. It's a PITA closing the small ones around the shorter plants without damaging the leaves or stressing them and these are an improvement anyway.

large.5cebd6eb321fd_11HR.jpg

Dedoverde Haze auto #2

large.5cebd6fb3db4b_12HR.jpg

Here they are caged up and watered in, after giving them a good misting of BioBizz leaf coat until leaf run off. My plants have been getting hammered by Capsid bugs here for the last 2 seasons so I sprayed this to give them a bit of protection from the off and I've sourced some Ecofective bug killer to try throughout the grow and see if that's any good for Capsid bugs.

Some of the cages have just about lived their lives so will have to be replaced for next season.

Sorry about the picture quality, it was quite dark by then, 10:30pm and I daren't put the flash on full power at this location. I was risking it as it was, using the flash at all.

HSO are in the right hand row, from back to front OG#1, OG#2, DH#1 and DH#2

large.5cebd7081c512_13cagedR.jpg

• Like 4

30th May day 18

I went out to the plot 4 days after plant out to plant some other plants so I thought I'd do an update and take some pics to show them settled in. All 4 had settled in nicely and stretched a bit looking for the British sunshine. Side branching had also grown enough for me to see they'd not been stunted with any stress. Happy daze :)

OG Kush auto #1
I made some more copper collars to add to the plants that only had the old style ones and I left the old ones in place for double protection. This time I bent the spikes down to create a better barrier.

large.5cf70b176efc1_5OG1ER.jpg

OG Kush auto #2

large.5cf70b25143b6_6OG2ER.jpg

Dedoverde Haze auto #1
I was going to remove the first set of new collars I used on plant out and bend the spikes down more but had too much to do and never got around to it so I'll do it next time.

large.5cf70b3651f1e_7DH1ER.jpg

Dedoverde Haze auto #2
Looking a bit more hungry than at plant out but the roots should be well into the fresh compost by now and hopefully next visit should see her greener.

large.5cf70b454e066_8DH2ER.jpg

Plot shot
HSOs middle row from back to front OG#1, OG#2, DH#1 and DH#2.

large.5cf70b565ca62_9PlotR.jpg

I was gonna root a Comfrey (Bocking 14) at home and take it out to the plot at a later date but decided to plant it straight in the ground at the plot and hope the soil stays wet enough for it to throw some new roots out. Here's the root before I planted it horizontally about 6" deep and watered in.

large.5cf70b6381035_10ComfreyrootR.jpg

The Willow tree clones I mentioned at the start of the diary to fill in the low spot at the back of my plot.

Willow #1

large.5cf70b7240e8c_11W1R.jpg

Willow #2

large.5cf70b7f48387_12W2R.jpg

Happy farming and be lucky :yep:

• Like 4

@jadenugs Plots starting to take shape mate ;)

Both autos strains look to be fairing quite well, let's hope for a few nice weeks of sun now rather than this rain ;)

Thanks for the plot update mate  :yep:

Kind regards 

Mark..

Edited by HSO-Mark
  • Like 1