Nugs's 2019 Dinadventures

jadenugs

4th July day 53

Hi folk, hope you're all well and your gardens are green :)
I couldn't get to my plot for a fortnightly visit as intended because I've been far too busy with other stuff. So my original plans of bending the plants over the cages nice and early went to shit.

It was a nice day on the 4th so off I went with some feed. 4 premixed bags for each of the seed breeder's plants at my plot, 12 bags in all. These bags consisted of 55g organic potash and 55g seaweed meal. Maybe a bit over the top with the potash but it should take a while to break down and get into the soil, as it was top dressed only. I took some PM OT bloom to feed them each 2L at 2ml/L to keep them happy in the meantime.

large.5d20834b6c8ef_FeedER.jpg

Here's the plot on arrival. Weeds starting to encroach again but the plants looking nice, green and healthy with not too much insect damage. The only problem was the wind was battering them against the sides of the cages and damaging the lower branches, also a little bruising to the main stems which could cause a rot problem later. I'll monitor the damage through the rest of the season and remove the damaged bits of the lower branches and leaves if needed. Dinafem are the 1st row on the left. Back to front BK#1, BK#2, BK#3 and Blue Kush.

large.5d208328d043a_plotonarrivalER.jpg

I pulled the weeds and grass from the whole plot by hand. It would be easier to use the spade but there are stones kicking about that make noise.

large.5d2083347f1f5_plotweededER.jpg

Bubba Kush auto#1
Well over a metre tall and looking nice and healthy with hardly any insect damage. Job's a good un, the Ecofective bug spray must have done it's job when it was needed :) A little bit top heavy though after the initial stretch from plant out when there was hardly any sun.

large.5d2083f67cf52_BK1(1)ER.jpg

Between a week and 2 weeks into flower at a guess.

large.5d208402711ae_BK1(2)ER.jpg

I secured the main stem to the South with some twine to keep the main stem in the centre of the cage, then bent her over to the North as I usually do to allow the lower branches to get full sun. I used a thick elastic band doubled over the stem to allow for some give in the wind. It was ok but I couldn't get the main over very far without doing any damage so I left it at that for now. I might be able to tighten it down some more on the next visit. Either that or I'll move the elastic band further up the stem where the growth is more supple.

large.5d20840d4a2d6_BK1(3)ER.jpg

Bubba Kush auto#2
Around the same height as #1 and just as healthy. After tying over #1 I tied one of my HSO OGs in the same way and managed to break the main stem so I never bothered tying this one over for now. It's in a decent position where it can't be seen over the low spot in surrounding vegetation but if it stretches more in the coming fortnight I might have to do some bondage. We'll see. I did secure the main stem from two sides though to keep the main stem in the centre of the cage and prevent more damage to the lower branches.

large.5d20841864411_BK2(1)ER.jpg

Maybe a little behind #1 in flowering. Hard to tell from this pic. The wind was mad and I was struggling to get decent pics in focus. It took me an hour just to weed the plot and get the 11 full plant pics across the plot of all 3 breeder's. That's before I took the close ups and got on with the rest of the work. I was there 5 hours in total, fucking about lol No Capsid bug damage on this one either :)

large.5d20842f7c149_BK2(2)ER.jpg

Bubba Kush auto#3
A bit shorter than the other two and a different phenotype by the looks of things. The same was done to secure the main stem in the centre of the cage to prevent further damage and keep the plant from toppling as it gets heavier.

large.5d20843b0679d_BK3(1)ER.jpg

Looking a darker green. She looks to be at least 2 weeks in and frosting up already. A little bit of Capsid bug damage is evident on a couple of the older leaves but none on the fresh stuff that counts, especially the bud leaves ;)

large.5d2084463f391_BK3(2)ER.jpg

Blue Kush auto
This one is about the same height as Bubbas 1 and 2. Some of the fan leaves are massive. There's a little bit of bug damage on the fans at the top left and right so they have been there recently but no damage to the fresh growth.
Again, I secured the main stem central to the cage.

large.5d208450ce9d2_BlK(1)ER.jpg

Between 1 and 2 weeks in I reckon. Purple bud leaves showing so she's living up to her name :) I wish I'd put another one in now because one of my Fms failed on plant out so I would have had room.

large.5d20845d0629a_BlK(2)ER.jpg

Plot shot as I left it.
This pic doesn't really do them justice with the angle, wind and light, so they don't look as bushy but I like to leave a pic of the plot on entry and on exit. You can see they are stable in the centre of the cages now. I just hope I haven't tied them too taught, I didn't have enough elastic bands to use 2 per plant and they would probably perish in the sun anyway. I used bowline knots on the twines to stop the knots slipping and tightening around the stems.

large.5d20833fa2ac2_plotasleftER.jpg

I was tempted to spray them again with Ecofective, as the day had turned hazy and dull when I'd finished but I went against it, with them starting to flower and the fresh bud leaves having no damage. I reckon the Capsids have fucked off to the corn fields early, or I'm hoping so lol Also there were a few Ladybirds on the plants along with their predator offspring. Don't wanna kill them now do I :)
So that wraps up this update.

Happy farming and be lucky :yep:

PS. Another busy weekend ahead then I'll get a chance to catch up with some diaries. All the best :bong:

Edited by jadenugs
To add
  • Like 10

@Smelly Cat Thanks mate, I'm quite happy with them so far. A better effort than last year so I hope the weather picks up and they deliver some nice buds.

• Like 4

@jadenugs Back out to his plot, putting in work and getting some really nice sun grown plants  ;)

Thanks for such a detailed write up mate  :yep:

All the best  :bong:

Mark..

• Like 2

@Andromedian Cheers dude, yeah looks like the Blue Kush is gonna be a nice one :)

@Kipper420 Cheers mate :v:

@Dinafem-Mark Cheers mate. More like cloud grown plants lol They'll get a good drenching this week then some sun towards the weekend. Fingers crossed for plenty of sun after that :yep:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some greet looking plants... Nice little plot... Hopefully you will get some top quality smoke...looking forward to see how BK does.. Good job @jadenugs

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

26th July day 75

How do folks?
I managed to get to the plot last Friday and was met by a nice surprise, green healthy plants that had grown plenty in the 3 weeks since the last visit. The flowers are forming nicely but the plants are very dense with leaf so I'll have to get my arse in gear with more frequent visits to keep an eye out for rot in all this dull humid weather. I only wish I'd got to them sooner before the previous visit and bent them over the cages while they were still supple to open them out. Never mind, it is what it is, normal summer activities getting in the way and all that.
Here's the plot on arrival, Dinafem's to the left as shown in the diagram.

large.5d441cadd7227_DSC_3954ER.jpg

Here's a better view of the Dina's from the left of the plot. Going off the cages which I'm sure are 2' they look to be just over 4' tall (apart from BK#3) which is ideal for this half of the plot.

large.5d441d088feb2_DSC_4003ER.jpg

Bubba Kush auto#1
Well the previous bend over of the top didn't do a lot but I think it was enough to keep her in line with #2. No more bending needed, bit late for that now.

large.5d441df00915d_BK1(1).jpg

Her main top.

large.5d441e18abcdd_BK1(2).jpg

A side branch.
Plenty of frost appearing.

large.5d441e425eb52_BK1(3).jpg

Bubba Kush auto#2
Lovely bushy structure to her. Like mentioned though, they'll all need thinning out a bit.

large.5d441fa4a5c41_DSC_3958ER.jpg

Her main top

large.5d441fcd8a0f6_DSC_3977ER.jpg

Main top closer with the flash on. It was a dull day and I was struggling with the pics, getting the exposure right. A little bit more advanced than #1 with the browning of the pistils.

large.5d441ff998389_DSC_3991ER.jpg

Bubba Kush auto#3
She stayed squat and never stretched much in flower

large.5d442087b0e1d_BK3(1).jpg

A bit closer.
She's very frosty but very leafy too around the buds. 3 of the buds were affected by rot including the very top as you can see. Unfortunately I didn't expect her to be so far along so never took a loupe to check trichs for maturity, or I would have probably chopped her there and then. Instead I cut out the rot and left her to hopefully survive any more rot attacks until I next get out there. Probably a mistake as there's been lot's of showery weather this week. Not that bothered really though as there's not much on her. She'll most likely get hashed if there's anything left of her on the next visit.

large.5d4420b03f246_BK3(2).jpg

Blue Kush auto
A more densely packed plant than the Bubbas and will defo need some thinning out of fan leaves. Lovely looking plant though in my opinion.

large.5d44210dab858_BlK(1).jpg

Closer shot of the top.

large.5d4421378c4a6_BlK(2).jpg

And another.
A good amount of frosting but not as much as the Bubbas. Looks like the Capsid bugs have had a good old time. I think I'll be going back to Provado ultimate bug killer if I GG next year and buying a new bottle of concentrate. The stuff I used in 2017 was probably well by it's effective shelf life and didn't seem to have much effect but it has worked well for me in the past and only needs applying once every 4 or 6 weeks. Once at plant out and once just before the flowers form would probably see autos through the onslought.

large.5d44217b98cfd_BlK(3).jpg

After removing the rot from BK#3 I went round all the plants and removed the dodgy leaves and stems from lower down that were damaged on the cages previously before I secured the plants with twine and stakes. The good thing is they did the job keeping the plants in the centre of the cages preventing further damage. I had time to do some weeding around the plot but it was 25 degrees and I was drenched in sweat and getting bit to fuck by mozzies, so I just left it at that lol

Thanks for looking, happy farming and be lucky :yep:

• Like 5

2nd Aug day 82

I went to the plot last Friday 2nd and as I expected after all the torrential rain I found rot on all the Dinafem girls. All plants in the plot had rot apart from 2 HSO OG autos and a later flowering Fms auto NL. Just can't argue with mother nature.

Bubba Kush auto#1
About 10 or 12 buds affected by rot, mainly on the inner side of the buds against the stems where the oldest pre flowers had started to rot, then was spreading to the bud. This allowed me to salvage parts of the buds that were unaffected as it hadn't spread into the middle of the buds. It had though, on a few :(

large.5d4d7d69e6535_BK1(1).jpg

Main top.

large.5d4d7d81179a9_BK1(2).jpg

Closer.

large.5d4d7d93d9037_BK1(3).jpg

What was left after rot removal.

large.5d4d7da69ef4a_BK1(4).jpg

Bubba Kush auto#2
Much the same as #1. I ended up with 25-30 small pieces of bud from both plants which dried very quickly in my attic over a couple of days, so were put into a jar. If they don't give any flavor after a cure they'll be hashed.

large.5d4d7dc08aba7_BK2(1).jpg

Main top.

large.5d4d7dd463943_BK2(2).jpg

Closer.

large.5d4d7de7b3636_BK2(3).jpg

What was left of the plant after salvaging what I could from the rot affected buds.

large.5d4d7dfa9c4a4_BK2(4).jpg

Bubba Kush auto#3
Most of the plant was rotted apart from the very lower side branches.
I couldn't salvage anything from it apart from the lowers which were mostly leaf so I just left them. I was more concerned with checking the bigger plants at the plot.

large.5d4d7e1300ecd_BK3(1).jpg

One of the lowers.

large.5d4d7e2abc508_BK3(2).jpg

What was left.
I never had any hopes for this plant anyway, after finding rot on the previous update.

large.5d4d7e3de036c_BK3(3).jpg

Blue Kush auto
Again, lot's of rot throughout the plant.

large.5d4d7e4f4496f_BlK(1).jpg

Main top.

large.5d4d7e6460f47_BlK(2).jpg

Little bit closer.

large.5d4d7e790bf56_BlK(3).jpg

What was left after chopping her and removing rot. Ended up with stringy little buds. The plant was mainly leaf.

large.5d4d7e8e148fa_BlK(4).jpg

As I've said in my HSO diary I don't class it as a failure, as I kept them nicely green and healthy up until the rot set in. No deficiencies, just too much rain and not enough sun. Can't be helped, I did what I could.

I could have took the whole plants then but I checked the forecast and it wasn't too bad for the next 3 days so I left the remains of the Bubbas 1 and 2 for another 3 days to ripen up a bit.

Another update soon, thanks for looking :)

• Like 5

@jadenugs Gazebos... with a 600w light in each gazebo... Coupled with a mobile generator... fan and dehumidifiers.... That's what you could of done.... Very easy..... 

Real Sorry to hear that dude.... Your plants where looking extremely promising.... Like you said... You gave them everything they wanted.... Its just mother nature was betting against you and she had the better hand....its just bugger that the better hand was presented on the river.... (not exactly what you said.... But a poker version ).... Congrats and sorry to hear that dude! Hope you have salvaged enough! Peace:hippy:

• Like 3

These are some of the bigger plants I've seen this season and it would be a perfect grow if it was not for the damn bud rot rearing its ugly head  :(

The only thing you can do it keep a close eye on things and push them as long as possible before more rot hits  ;)

Apart from that things look pretty good at the plot mate :yep:

All the best  :bong:

Mark..

• Like 2