Nugs's 2019 Dinadventures

jadenugs

@badbillybob thanks mate. Yeah the box works a treat. I've tried different ways before but they always seem to be stressed or bent all over when I get there.

• Like 2

ive just been dicking about with a laundry bag, and found I can get a 20 litre recycling tub in there- sorted.

cheers for the inspiration.

• Like 3

@JJJ cheers. Agreed mate, cheap as chips too from China if you've time to wait 3 weeks lol I could only find the small ones though.  I was thinking of making some to fit 11cm pots but wouldn't know what material to order. The material looks like horticultural fleece, what do you think? I might buy some and see if it's the same as these bags.

• Like 3

Just now, jadenugs said:

@JJJ cheers. Agreed mate, cheap as chips too from China if you've time to wait 3 weeks lol I could only find the small ones though.  I was thinking of making some to fit 11cm pots but wouldn't know what material to order. The material looks like horticultural fleece, what do you think? I might buy some and see if it's the same as these bags.

I got a bag of 100 on Fleabay - probably about the same size - cost me £2 for the pack and the roots seem to be tearing through them no hassle :yep:

• Like 4

Just now, badbillybob said:

ive just been dicking about with a laundry bag, and found I can get a 20 litre recycling tub in there- sorted.

Nice one. Best of luck on plant out and for the grow :yep:

• Like 2

Just now, JJJ said:

I got a bag of 100 on Fleabay - probably about the same size - cost me £2 for the pack and the roots seem to be tearing through them no hassle :yep:

Might be the ones I got. Ordered the first lot from China and they never turned up. Ordered some more from a different seller which came and then the China ones turned up months later lol

• Like 4

On 27/05/2019 at 6:27 PM, jadenugs said:

Day 13

They were kept on plain waterings of 100ml every 2 days until day 11 when they had 1ml/L PM Rootstim in their 100ml.

Day 12, being in small pots I decided to feed them 100ml of 1ml/L Rootstim and 0.5ml/L Fish mix.

Bubba Kush autos

Doing fine, no more tip burn after the compost mix being initially a bit hot.

Side branching just starting to get going.

large.5cebd45c00094_D1R.jpglarge.5cebd469bc4fd_D2R.jpglarge.5cebd4795abcb_D3R.jpg

Blue Kush auto

I never germed another in the end so this will be the only one.

I lowered the wattage on the LED slightly to get them to stretch a bit, which the Bubbas did but this one stayed squat.

large.5cebd493a9cc0_D4R.jpg

Group shot

Blue Kush front right

large.5cebd4a0e4505_D5R.jpg

Transit box

While waiting another day to plant out I knocked up a transit box for the rucksack to keep them stress free when planting out.

I cut a piece of cardboard to bit the bases of 8 x 7cm pots and glued them to it with a hobby glue gun.

large.5cebd5898d32b_DSC_3760ER.jpg

The tops of the pots glued together to stop the cardboard base bending.

large.5cebd597b5ded_DSC_3761ER.jpg

I cut some more pieces of cardboard for the sides and tapered them from the tops of the pots to the bottoms to make sure the box fits snuggly in the bottom of the rucksack.

The back piece taped on.

large.5cebd5ac952ff_DSC_3762ER.jpg

All sides fitted and taped together with the front side left loose and bent down ready to receive the plants. The idea being to sit the carrier pots straight into these ones instead of transferring the seedling bags and disturbing the roots.

After this pic I glued the top corners at the back to give extra strength and prevent the sides folding in on the plants while in the rucksack. I then tested it and it fits like a glove. Nice and tight so no movement. I had to edge the sides down alternatively it was that snug. I've been lucky here finding seedling bags to fit  exactly in the pots and 8 pots fitting exactly in the rucksack :) Hope this idea helps someone wondering how to move their babies relatively stress free.

large.5cebd5b9d9941_DSC_3763ER.jpg

26th May Day 14 plant out

As planned I took them out on day 14 along with the HSO's, without once pulling the bags out of the pots to check the roots while indoors. I'm being a good lad lol The bags are good for lifting out and checking but it probably still stresses them when placing back in because of the roots pointing downwards, so I refrained with these autos. They were fed 100ml containing 1ml/L Rootstim and 1ml/L Fish mix a few hours before taking them to their new home.

I started at the back left of the box putting the first pot in, then lifted the leaves to the right hand side to make room for the next plant to go in next to it. So on and so forth until they were all in nice and cosy. Then lifted the front side up and taped it in place, making sure no leaves got trapped at the edges. I never bothered with the glue this time as the front was resting against the sides so couldn't fold in.

I don't remember ever taking compost to a plot, I like the challenge of using the native soil and seeing if I can get the feeds right. I thought this time I'd take a small amount of Clover MP bagged in the bottom of my rucksack to line the holes and to give them a little bit of extra nutrients before the roots grow into the native soil, and give the nutes I've added to the native soil more time to break down and become available. So hopefully these will get off to a better start than usual. I put as much in as I could, but still leaving enough room for the box and it not be too high that when I pulled the drawstring tight it would fold the tops of the box in. With the top of the box being open I covered it with a plastic bag, pulled it down the sides and folded it underneath to contain plant odours. All good to go :)

Here's the Dinagirls and HSO ready to go to their new homes before taping the front up and placing in the rucksack. The Dina4 at the back.

large.5cebfc44299fe_DSC_3784ER.jpg

No signs of human activity on approaching the plot but there were animal signs in and around it. Tracks through the nettles but they went under low bushes so I knew it was animals after initially feeling nervous :eek: 

Then I noticed on one of the mounds of soil on top of a plant hole that a cheeky fucker had moved the weed mulch out of the way and made a hollow bed on the mound, nice soft loose soil. I'm guessing fox as I've seen them here before, as mentioned earlier. I'm hoping not deer but I doubt it as the tracks went under very low bushes.

I cleared a few thistles coming up between the holes and took a spade of soil out of each hole and chucked some compost in. There was just enough for about 2L each for the Dina and HSO holes.

large.5cebd5ec871b3_1plantoutR.jpg

I transplanted the HSOs first as they were at the front of the box and took a pic of one of the root balls. I didn't really have time to be taking too many pics as it was getting dark so I've cropped this HSO pic to show the root development. The Dinas were all more or less the same, nice and healthy with lots of leaders. Unfortunately I forgot to take some Mycos with me but hopefully the population has already got a hold while in the bags. Hard to tell from this pic.

large.5cebd5fb35afb_2rootsR.jpg

A hollow was made in the compost, plant sat in and compost packed up the sides the best I could with what I had before filling around it with the native soil and up to level. The soil in the holes was still quite loose so I did something I don't normally do and firmed it down a little. Not too much to restrict the roots but hopefully enough to give the plants more stability as they get taller.

Bubba Kush auto #1

Settled in and ready to grow, relatively stress free. The leaves had obviously curled down a bit from being in the dark for an hour. Copper collar added.

large.5cebd60967d5d_3DR.jpg

Bubba Kush auto #2

large.5cebd616e6f82_4DR.jpg

Bubba Kush auto #3

I knew I only had 8 of my old style collars at this plot and there's 12 plants going in. I couldn't be arsed going to my other plot from last season to get some spikey ones so I made 4 more  larger ones for ease of getting around the shorter plants. It's a PITA closing the small ones around the shorter plants without damaging the leaves or stressing them and these are an improvement anyway. I think I'll make another 8 and take them out there later ;)

large.5cebd62445177_5DR.jpg

Blue Kush auto

I've pushed this collar a bit too far down into the soil so this will be rectified next visit. I'm also thinking I should have bent the spikes down at more of an angle to hit the feckers in the nose if they were to slime up the sides. So I might do this next visit too if I have the time.

I'm quite liking the look of this plant and wish I'd germed another but 12 plants here will be plenty.

large.5cebd631bd467_6DR.jpg

Here they are caged up after giving them a good misting of BioBizz leaf coat until leaf run off. This will be done fortnightly if it's not raining when I visit. That's if I don't source a good organic pest control in the meantime before I order more leaf coat. Any ideas? I have some Vitax organic 2 in 1 but it's years old and I don't think it had much effect last season. I never used it when I first bought it so I'm not sure about it's effectiveness. My plants have been getting hammered by Capsid bugs here for the last 2 seasons.

Some of the cages have just about lived their lives so will have to be replaced for next season.

Sorry about the picture quality, it was quite dark by then, 10:30pm and I daren't put the flash on full power at this location. I was risking it as it was.

Dinafem left hand row, BK #1 to #3 from the back to front. Bl K at the front.

large.5cebd7081c512_13cagedR.jpg

Well that's me up to date with the Dinafem girls. Only 2 more diaries to update lol

Happy farming and be lucky :yep:

Nice job on the plant out brother  ;)

Those starter pots worked a treat :yep:

Now let's hope mothernature plays ball this season  ;)

I have high hopes(pardon the pun) for this season  :headbang:

Until next week buddy  ;)

All the best :bong:

Mark..

• Like 4

On 27/05/2019 at 7:59 PM, badbillybob said:

Community inspired that's the UK420 I know and love  :yep:

All the best  :bong:

Mark..

• Like 4

30th May day 18

I went out to the plot 4 days after plant out to plant some other plants so I thought I'd do an update and take some pics to show them settled in. All 4 had settled in nicely and stretched a bit looking for the British sunshine. Side branching had also grown enough for me to see they'd not been stunted with any stress. Happy daze :)

Bubba Kush auto #1
I made some more copper collars to add to the plants that only had the old style ones and I left the old ones in place for double protection. This time I bent the spikes down to create a better barrier.

large.5cf70ae1d72fe_1BK1ER.jpg

Bubba Kush auto #2

large.5cf70aeeb1525_2BK2ER.jpg

Bubba Kush auto #3

large.5cf70afb95cc3_3BK3ER.jpg

Blue Kush auto
I was going to remove the first set of new collars I used on plant out and bend the spikes down more but had too much to do and never got around to it so I'll do it next time.

large.5cf70b0a3695d_4BlKR.jpg

Plot shot
Dinfems in the left hand row from back to front BK#1, BK#2, BK#3 and Bl K.

large.5cf70b565ca62_9PlotR.jpg

Comfrey

I was gonna root a Comfrey (Bocking 14) at home and take it out to the plot at a later date but decided to plant it straight in the ground at the plot and hope the soil stays wet enough for it to throw some new roots out. Here's the root before I planted it horizontally about 6" deep and watered in.

large.5cf70b6381035_10ComfreyrootR.jpg

The Willow tree clones I mentioned at the start of the diary to fill in the low spot at the back of my plot.

Willow #1

large.5cf70b7240e8c_11W1R.jpg

Willow #2

large.5cf70b7f48387_12W2R.jpg

Happy farming and be lucky :yep:

• Like 9

@jadenugs Outdoor plots looking good brother  :yep:

Much better than my 5 ladies which are now 0 thanks to some damn critter lol

Oh well I'll start a few more :yep:

Thanks for the outdoor update buddy  :yep:

Mark..

• Like 1

@Dinafem-Mark Cheers bro, managed to get to the plot yesterday in between the downpours lol

13-6 day 32

As expected when I managed to find a slot between downpours and get to the plot they had stretched for the heavens. Glad about that cos in a couple of weeks I might be able to bend them over the cages and get some side branching going :)

The good news is they've settled in nicely and are a nice shade of green with no Capsid bug damage (yet!)

Bubba Kush auto#1

large.5d04229a62fc3_BK113-6ER.jpg

Bubba Kush auto#2

large.5d0422a49d531_BK213-6ER.jpg

Bubba Kush auto#3

large.5d0422aef3fdf_BK313-6ER.jpg

Blue Kush auto

Most advanced with the side branching up until now and seems to be greening up nicely from when she went out 16 days ago, she was paler than the bubbas.

large.5d0422b90096d_BlK13-6ER.jpg

Plot shot

Left hand row, back to front.....BK1, BK2, BK3 and Bl K.

After taking pics I chopped the growing weeds from around the plot and sprayed the plants with Ecofective bug killer. Just my luck it started pissing it down again just after I'd finished spraying lol My mission is to get out there at least once fortnightly and keep the weeds down and the critters away. The weeds were growing back from the sods I'd used for mulching so I turned them over to starve them of light and found there was quite a few worms underneath :yep: 

large.5d0422ee92820_plot13-6ER.jpg

That wraps up this update. Hopefully the sun will come out now they've had a good soaking and get some energy fired into them.

Happy growing and be lucky :yep:

• Like 11

@jadenugs Considering this dire weather your still getting some decent growth mate  :yep:

Plots looking good from here brother. Hope you took your umbrella lol

Mark..

• Like 2

Congrats dude... Looking great... Some great growth considering the weather... Are they starting to flower? 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, MacGanja said:

Congrats dude... Looking great... Some great growth considering the weather... Are they starting to flower? 

@jadenugs:yep: inquiring minds ;)

Mark..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 9:01 PM, Dinafem-Mark said:

@jadenugs Considering this dire weather your still getting some decent growth mate  :yep:

Plots looking good from here brother. Hope you took your umbrella lol

Mark..

Cheers dude, the coco never really got soaked well and mixed in as good as it should have but I think it has helped. The girls got off to a lot better start this year too ;)

If the plot escapes the rippers for another year running, I'll be adding more coco over the winter and also leaf mold, fingers crossed :lucky:

On 6/24/2019 at 9:06 PM, MacGanja said:

Cheers Mac, yeah they've started flowering now mate. Did you end up getting a grow on in the end? I just haven't been able to keep up lately.

All the best lads :bong:

• Like 1