Nugs's 2019 Dinadventures

jadenugs

Just now, jadenugs said:

Thanks very much mate, top man :yep: I really appreciate that you could fit me in at the last minute like this.

My pleasure mate. They will definitely leave this week :)

Just now, jadenugs said:

Hope you enjoyed your Easter break :bong:

I did brother. It was only a few days but much needed break :yep:

Nice weed, lovely hash, family time and a bit of time with the wife. Just a chill out really :yep:

Hope you had a good day mate :bong:

All the best 

Mark.

• Like 3

@Dinafem-Mark Sounds good :yep:

Yeah I was washing a hangover down with a few more. Took a pipe out with me and some Early Ammo cbd. Great daytime smoke with the cbd in the mix but still packs a punch if greedy with it lol

• Like 4

Just now, jadenugs said:

@Dinafem-Mark Sounds good :yep:

Yeah I was washing a hangover down with a few more. Took a pipe out with me and some Early Ammo cbd. Great daytime smoke with the cbd in the mix but still packs a punch if greedy with it lol

My kind of 4/20 :)

Well anyday really lol

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dudes.

My beans arrived safe and sound yesterday. Thanks very much to @Dinafem-Mark and Dinafem for giving me the chance to grow out some more of their genetics.
Especially when Mark has gone out of his way to make this possible, as I was late deciding whether I could get a grow on or not. Dinafem were also kind enough to throw in a couple of free Gorilla seeds in too but these won't be grown on this occasion.

This year I'll be attempting to bring to harvest 3 x Bubba Kush Autos as I really liked the results of my last effort with these in 2017. The amount of resin left in the jars when the gear was finished was a joy unto itself, and also in the grinder after every grind. There was no need to wait for a crystal catcher to save it up. Let's hope I can get 3 good phenos like that :) I'll also be trying my luck with 2 x Blue Kush Autos for a 50/50 Indi/sat mix with fruity/fuelly flavours and some nice colours, hopefully.

large.1.jpg

Bubba Kush Auto
Due to the seeds not coming in the usual tin I made sure I wrote on the vials straight away so not to mix the 2 strains up. I chose the 3 darkest most plump seeds after testing them all with a little pressure between thumb and forefinger. All seeds of both strains were fine as expected :yep:

large.2.jpg

Blue Kush Auto
These seeds were a lighter shade and roughly the same so I chose 2 that I thought looked nice lol

large.3.jpg

Some root riot cubes already wet from in the bag were placed in a tray in the prop to warm up while I sorted the beans out. The beans were then pushed into the holes to about 10mm and the holes plugged with bits from the corners of the cubes. I tried to get the bits pushed down to the beans without pushing the beans down further, to try and have moisture contact all round.

large.7.jpg

9th May 17:30
Because I've not soaked the beans or used paper towels I decided to give them just 2ml each of seaweed solution at 1ml/L to aid with germination and hopefully not leave the cubes too wet, before putting the prop lid on with the vents closed.

I've been dialling my veg cab in for the past week while I had some cucumber and tomato plants in the prop with the vent open and was averaging 23-27C and 83% humidity. Since removing the other plants, putting these in and closing the vent the temp was 25 and rose to 28 in a couple of hours so I'm just dialling the extractor fan in the cab to try and keep it around 25C. Humidity is still hovering around 83-84% so the cubes won't be drying out in a rush. My 135W led board is 37" above the cubes on full wattage so I can always dim this as well if needed. She's on 24/7 for now.  I'm hoping to see some life in 3 or 4 days and then I'll update :)

Notes to myself to compare with my 2017 BK autos, some of which might be of use to anyone else growing Bubba Kush Auto out in the wilds.

Germed 20th May, out on 7th June at 18 days old.
Bug damage started around mid June.
Started flowering by 2nd July.
Still being damaged by 11th July.
Bug damage reducing by 15th July. Possibly due to my spraying. Capsid bugs move from woodland to cereal crops late August so probably the spray working.
BK plot 2 cropped 28th Aug due to rot (low airflow) Trichs mainly cloudy, still plenty white pistils.
Bk plot 1 (this plot, better airflow). No rot on 28th Aug. Cropped 2 weeks later on 10th Sept. Rot affecting about 10 buds. 16 weeks total growing.

Happy farming, stay safe and be lucky :v:

• Like 9

@jadenugs So glad your seeds have landed brother now you can officially get your 2019 season underway  :yep:

In typical @jadenugs fashion. As soon as the seeds drop on the mat they get wet and started  :bong:

Let the fun begin  :headbang:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 4

On 15/05/2019 at 0:56 PM, jadenugs said:

@Dinafem-Mark Thanks dude, yeah we're on it now, the ball is rolling, the fun has began :D

So glad your playing along this year mate :)

Let's do this!

All the best  :bong:

Mark..

• Like 2

Hi dudes,

Most were up in 3 days and I was waiting on a Bubba Kush auto and Blue Kush auto. The other BK emerged after 4 days but not the Bl K. I spread open the hole in the root riot cube and found it hadn't even cracked it's shell so I put another in a fresh cube.

13the May day 1

large.5ce3dab295fb7_DSC_3711ER.jpg

I made a mix of 50% Clover MP, 40% Wilko seedling compost to cool it down and 10% Canna coco to add some aeration.

large.5ce3dac2722cc_DSC_3714ER.jpg

Seedling bags filled level with the top of the 7cm holding pots which are just the right size. A sprinkling of TNC mycorrmax and soaking in a seaweed solution of 2ml/L for about half hour until the myco was wetting. A good indication that the compost has wetted evenly.

large.5ce3dacc962b0_DSC_3715ER.jpg

Potted up and watered in with 20ml of the same seaweed solution. It's a bit awkward getting the top up compost down the sides of the cubes but a teaspoon does the job ;)

large.5ce3dad71d96f_DSC_3717ER.jpg

17th May day 5 and 1

The other Blue Kush had popped it's head up and was potted up using exactly the same method.

large.5ce3db213cb99_2R.jpg

Group shot on day 5 and day 1. The older plants had a plain water soaking of 100ml on day 4 and the tips on the Bubbas were just starting to burn slightly on the first true leaves. I think next time I'll lower the Clover to 40% and up the Wilko to 50%, in case of sensitive plants. I'm hoping this mix will see them all through for 2 weeks until the roots are developed enough to go out. We'll see and if not they'll get some fish mix or grow. I'll most probably give them a feed of fishmix anyway before they go out.

large.5ce3db2b73586_3R.jpg

20th May day 8 and day 4

The older girls were well happy and perky but unfortunately the youngest Bl K hadn't budged. The cotyledons were like leather and wouldn't open up to allow light to the first true leaves. I dabbed her with water a few times to try soften them but it never worked and I think she dampened off. The last time this happened was with a Gorilla and I prized them open by hand and one side actually broke. The plant still gave me 3oz indoors but I didn't wanna risk this with an auto so tried wetting instead to no avail. I think with having all my eggs in one basket here with 3 breeder's strains in one plot, someone is trying to tell me that 13 is an unlucky number and I should stick to 12, 4 from each breeder. What do you reckon @Dinafem-Mark are you happy with 3 Bubbas and 1 Blue Kush for this Dinafem grow? I'm a bit superstitious and don't wanna tempt fate lol The 3 BK's are to the left here and the Bl K to the right. The plants are quite compact and loving life under the @diyleduk board and I was gonna lower the power to stretch them a bit. I think they'll stretch a bit over the coming week though in sync with widening out, hopefully enough to make room for my copper collars around the stems. They're on 24hrs at the moment as i want to get as much energy into them as possible, being autos. @beezee As you know mate, I've only done autos outdoor a couple of times. I had them on 24hrs light prior to going out, never hardened off, just straight out paying no consideration to daylight hours and they did ok (ish). Would it it benefit to lower my light cycle in the coming week to nearer the 16hrs they'll be getting on plant out, or just keep them on full power getting as much energy into them as possible in the early days? What you reckon dude :)

large.5ce3db93babbe_DSC_3756ER.jpg

That's all for now. My recent indoor diary is finished now so when I get the other 2 diaries updated for this grow I'll have more time to keep on top of things and catch up with your diaries. I've heard rumours we're gonna have another scorching summer lasting longer than last year's so there may have to be plenty of visits for watering. 

Happy farming and be lucky :v:

• Like 9

Hey mate, things moving along nicely now! 

Keep them lights on full, the only reason you wouldn't is if you had photo's with the risk of going into flower. Autos are much simpler in that regard ;)

• Like 3

@flighty cheers dude, feel a bit daft asking now, knowing autos are genetically pre programmed lol I've probably confused myself after reading about semi auto photos or something :doh:

I'll just stick to the norm :yep:

• Like 3

Day 13

They were kept on plain waterings of 100ml every 2 days until day 11 when they had 1ml/L PM Rootstim in their 100ml.

Day 12, being in small pots I decided to feed them 100ml of 1ml/L Rootstim and 0.5ml/L Fish mix.

Bubba Kush autos

Doing fine, no more tip burn after the compost mix being initially a bit hot.

Side branching just starting to get going.

large.5cebd45c00094_D1R.jpglarge.5cebd469bc4fd_D2R.jpglarge.5cebd4795abcb_D3R.jpg

Blue Kush auto

I never germed another in the end so this will be the only one.

I lowered the wattage on the LED slightly to get them to stretch a bit, which the Bubbas did but this one stayed squat.

large.5cebd493a9cc0_D4R.jpg

Group shot

Blue Kush front right

large.5cebd4a0e4505_D5R.jpg

Transit box

While waiting another day to plant out I knocked up a transit box for the rucksack to keep them stress free when planting out.

I cut a piece of cardboard to bit the bases of 8 x 7cm pots and glued them to it with a hobby glue gun.

large.5cebd5898d32b_DSC_3760ER.jpg

The tops of the pots glued together to stop the cardboard base bending.

large.5cebd597b5ded_DSC_3761ER.jpg

I cut some more pieces of cardboard for the sides and tapered them from the tops of the pots to the bottoms to make sure the box fits snuggly in the bottom of the rucksack.

The back piece taped on.

large.5cebd5ac952ff_DSC_3762ER.jpg

All sides fitted and taped together with the front side left loose and bent down ready to receive the plants. The idea being to sit the carrier pots straight into these ones instead of transferring the seedling bags and disturbing the roots.

After this pic I glued the top corners at the back to give extra strength and prevent the sides folding in on the plants while in the rucksack. I then tested it and it fits like a glove. Nice and tight so no movement. I had to edge the sides down alternatively it was that snug. I've been lucky here finding seedling bags to fit  exactly in the pots and 8 pots fitting exactly in the rucksack :) Hope this idea helps someone wondering how to move their babies relatively stress free.

large.5cebd5b9d9941_DSC_3763ER.jpg

26th May Day 14 plant out

As planned I took them out on day 14 along with the HSO's, without once pulling the bags out of the pots to check the roots while indoors. I'm being a good lad lol The bags are good for lifting out and checking but it probably still stresses them when placing back in because of the roots pointing downwards, so I refrained with these autos. They were fed 100ml containing 1ml/L Rootstim and 1ml/L Fish mix a few hours before taking them to their new home.

I started at the back left of the box putting the first pot in, then lifted the leaves to the right hand side to make room for the next plant to go in next to it. So on and so forth until they were all in nice and cosy. Then lifted the front side up and taped it in place, making sure no leaves got trapped at the edges. I never bothered with the glue this time as the front was resting against the sides so couldn't fold in.

I don't remember ever taking compost to a plot, I like the challenge of using the native soil and seeing if I can get the feeds right. I thought this time I'd take a small amount of Clover MP bagged in the bottom of my rucksack to line the holes and to give them a little bit of extra nutrients before the roots grow into the native soil, and give the nutes I've added to the native soil more time to break down and become available. So hopefully these will get off to a better start than usual. I put as much in as I could, but still leaving enough room for the box and it not be too high that when I pulled the drawstring tight it would fold the tops of the box in. With the top of the box being open I covered it with a plastic bag, pulled it down the sides and folded it underneath to contain plant odours. All good to go :)

Here's the Dinagirls and HSO ready to go to their new homes before taping the front up and placing in the rucksack. The Dina4 at the back.

large.5cebfc44299fe_DSC_3784ER.jpg

No signs of human activity on approaching the plot but there were animal signs in and around it. Tracks through the nettles but they went under low bushes so I knew it was animals after initially feeling nervous :eek: 

Then I noticed on one of the mounds of soil on top of a plant hole that a cheeky fucker had moved the weed mulch out of the way and made a hollow bed on the mound, nice soft loose soil. I'm guessing fox as I've seen them here before, as mentioned earlier. I'm hoping not deer but I doubt it as the tracks went under very low bushes.

I cleared a few thistles coming up between the holes and took a spade of soil out of each hole and chucked some compost in. There was just enough for about 2L each for the Dina and HSO holes.

large.5cebd5ec871b3_1plantoutR.jpg

I transplanted the HSOs first as they were at the front of the box and took a pic of one of the root balls. I didn't really have time to be taking too many pics as it was getting dark so I've cropped this HSO pic to show the root development. The Dinas were all more or less the same, nice and healthy with lots of leaders. Unfortunately I forgot to take some Mycos with me but hopefully the population has already got a hold while in the bags. Hard to tell from this pic.

large.5cebd5fb35afb_2rootsR.jpg

A hollow was made in the compost, plant sat in and compost packed up the sides the best I could with what I had before filling around it with the native soil and up to level. The soil in the holes was still quite loose so I did something I don't normally do and firmed it down a little. Not too much to restrict the roots but hopefully enough to give the plants more stability as they get taller.

Bubba Kush auto #1

Settled in and ready to grow, relatively stress free. The leaves had obviously curled down a bit from being in the dark for an hour. Copper collar added.

large.5cebd60967d5d_3DR.jpg

Bubba Kush auto #2

large.5cebd616e6f82_4DR.jpg

Bubba Kush auto #3

I knew I only had 8 of my old style collars at this plot and there's 12 plants going in. I couldn't be arsed going to my other plot from last season to get some spikey ones so I made 4 more  larger ones for ease of getting around the shorter plants. It's a PITA closing the small ones around the shorter plants without damaging the leaves or stressing them and these are an improvement anyway. I think I'll make another 8 and take them out there later ;)

large.5cebd62445177_5DR.jpg

Blue Kush auto

I've pushed this collar a bit too far down into the soil so this will be rectified next visit. I'm also thinking I should have bent the spikes down at more of an angle to hit the feckers in the nose if they were to slime up the sides. So I might do this next visit too if I have the time.

I'm quite liking the look of this plant and wish I'd germed another but 12 plants here will be plenty.

large.5cebd631bd467_6DR.jpg

Here they are caged up after giving them a good misting of BioBizz leaf coat until leaf run off. This will be done fortnightly if it's not raining when I visit. That's if I don't source a good organic pest control in the meantime before I order more leaf coat. Any ideas? I have some Vitax organic 2 in 1 but it's years old and I don't think it had much effect last season. I never used it when I first bought it so I'm not sure about it's effectiveness. My plants have been getting hammered by Capsid bugs here for the last 2 seasons.

Some of the cages have just about lived their lives so will have to be replaced for next season.

Sorry about the picture quality, it was quite dark by then, 10:30pm and I daren't put the flash on full power at this location. I was risking it as it was.

Dinafem left hand row, BK #1 to #3 from the back to front. Bl K at the front.

large.5cebd7081c512_13cagedR.jpg

Well that's me up to date with the Dinafem girls. Only 2 more diaries to update lol

Happy farming and be lucky :yep:

• Like 7

looks neat and tidy, lovely job jadenugs. 

I need to get mine out soon too, think im gonna steal your cardboard box technique. 

good luck with them. 

May the ganja gods give us a decent summer.

• Like 3

Love the spiky collars - innovative.  Those little net pots are ace, aren't they.  Easiest for potting up ever.  Nice little plants :thumsup:

• Like 2