nerve damage

phenom

@phenom How did you get on?  

Have you tried thc oil for your nerve pain?  I've had constant burning nerve pain for the last 7 years.  24/7 after some of my spinal nerves were grinding against against bone for 3 years & getting my op far too late.  Bedbound, the works.  Agonising muscle spasms that stop me walking far and keep me in pain and twisted up.  It's been relentless and despite being on a ton of opiates nothing worked.  Vaping weed saved my sanity and life and with my stair lift wheelchair and car that can transport it, I have a much better quality of life now.  Even though accepting I'd never know what normal or pain free felt like again.

Then a month ago I started on Twenty21 and tried THC 20:0 oil as a stop gap to getting the bud (which feels like will never happen at this rate but thats another story!).  But the most incredible thing happened.  Despite being at the end of a really bad flair where my back was twisted up, legs tight and in agony, 20 mins after my first dose I realised all my spasms had 100% relaxed.  I stood up and could twist freely (could barely turn before as was in spasm all the way up my spine)  Then I realised for the first time in 7 years I couldn't feel a thing.  Literally nothing.  I burst into tears.  100% barely expected anything to happen apart from maybe a small buzz and it was like a miracle.  Nothing, & I've tried every single drug available on the NHS for pain, has ever done that.  

I discovered I still get breakthrough pain from being a have a go hero because I'm feeling so much better taking it regularly, & vape weed for that.  Together this has meant I've gone from cooking a meal just about killing me and making me feel like I'd pass out with pain, burning up to a hot mess and feeling sick to the point of ruining my appetite, some days even if hanging out of my wheelchair to do it, to a piece of piss most days and can clear up straight afterwards too before feeling the pain and tightness kicking in.  And when it does never to pre oil excruciating burning stinging pain.  Just aching pain.  That's truly life changing.  If you haven't tried it I'd highly recommend it.  

Edited by Budsby
  • Like 7
  • 9 months later...

This looks like an old thread but probably the most appropriate place to post this. Anyway i have suffered with Neuropathic pain for over 2 years now. The best way to describe my symptoms is to imagine someone pressing stinging nettles against your legs. The burning & stinging sensation mostly came on at night, and as you can imagine it kept me awake for the most part. In desperation to rid myself of this acute condition i would often resort to having to use my dressing gown chord as a turniquet and tie it as tight as i could around the top of my right leg (most affected area). This method would work after an hour or so as my leg started to get numb from the restricted blood flow; but obviously one should not have to resort to such drastic measures to eliminate pain. My doctor put me on Amitriptyline back in May 2021, just the one 25mg tab to start with and after the first week he raised the dosage to two tabs at night as my symptoms had not improved. Still with no significant improvement i began smoking weed which i thought was really a last resort, but since i started having just a couple of J's at night, this horrible stinging & burning sensation just melted away completely.

Having to constantly live and cope with debilitating acute pain can be very distressing and lead onto further long term conditions such as depression. For now i've managed to 'nip it in the bud' excuse the pun. The weed won over the Amitriptyline which i've now discontinued with, simply because it altered my perception of pain. I've found since that just a couple of smokes at night will sort out my condition for the next 72 hours, that's 3 days before i start getting the first signs, i.e. 'tingling' sensation starts again in my upper right leg. I'm now on with my second attempt at growing the stuff, (auto's) - grow day57, and i'm down to just the 5x plants now which all look healthy after losing one yesterday; (plant began wilting suddenly after it was re-potted due to inadvertent damage to the root ball).

So all in all i guess i'm just another example of where Cannabis has proved an effective treatment over other more conventional prescribed forms of medication; for yet another medical condition that comes with an acute pain price tag. I treat weed the same as all my other med's (as per the dosage or at least in moderation), every 3rd night i have a smoke and that seems to work for me. It may be down to the effects of THC or CBD or both, who knows. Damaged nerves cannot be replaced and so at best, trying to alleviate the symptoms with meds is as far as my doctor will go. So,... even though it may have been sometime after a smoke, i just know that i'm no longer consciously aware of my condition. Being pain free has uplifted me, drastically improving my mood too so that i can simply get on with looking after my father.

• Like 10

@KevL It sounds like you've got sciatica to me. You're lucky if you get relief from weed as it does fuck all for me.

Doing core exercises will help in most cases. 

I find when I have edibles it actually makes my sciatica worse lol

• Like 2

The way Kev describes cutting off the circulation  would do nothing for my siatica when it flares up , ami did help but on a lot higher doses , yuk,

• Like 2

Amyltriptaline must be a wonder drug, I had it for anxiety attacks, you got it for nerve pain and it stops kids wetting the bed, what more could you want! lol 

• Like 5

Nah just brain numbing distraction for me, i had them and pre -gab for nerve pain , both helped but the side Effects were'nt worth it for me , ami for 4 yrs + (never again)

• Like 4
Guest theokoles
10 hours ago, KC said:

Amyltriptaline must be a wonder drug, I had it for anxiety attacks, you got it for nerve pain and it stops kids wetting the bed, what more could you want! lol 

I was once prescribed it for depression, it was rancid stuff.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, KC said:

Tbf I found it worked well for me for pain and other than getting a really good night's sleep, side effects were minimal. I didn't need to take it consistently either, just as and when breakthrough pain was intolerable.

Horses for courses I guess.

On the other hand weed has never done a great deal for me when it comes to pain, even making bit worse in some instances.

Again horses for courses.

When it comes to pain management I think people should just be free to do whatever works for them tbh.

• Like 10
12 hours ago, KC said:

After a recent visit to the pain clinic they have stopped most of my medicine because they have realised long term most medication can do more damage than good i was on zopiclone sleeping tablets for nearly ten years then i was told the tablets are dangerous i was even referred to a drug addiction service. I would prefer just to smoke i have told my pain doctor i smoke cannabis and they just said if it helps carry on BUT we cannot help you get it.  

• Like 3

@KevL

Sorry to hear about your troubles and like others have said it sounds like sciatica which isn't fun at all and I share your pain as I have it which is caused by my degenerative discs. Due to me being allergic to NSAIDs I can't even pop a few ibuprofen these days without it affecting me and as the condition isn't going anywhere I'm not going to start a life long prescription of Gabapentin or Amyltriptaline.

The pain can range from mild to excruciating but the numbness in my leg is what scares the crap out of me sometimes so I know where you are coming from. Weed helps and in many ways which is why these days I look to grow a few CBD plants as well as high THC strains but I need to manage what I smoke and when and also little breaks so I don't become completely tolerant to the effects. I usually start the day with a pure or almost pure CBD smoke or vape then by lunch time or mid afternoon start with the uplifting sativa's and by the time bed time comes I'm knocking myself out with a hard hitting indica so that I lock my self in and don't wake up in 2 hours time in pain.

I find weed is more of an enabler / distraction tool that breaks the cycle of me being in pain and allows me to do something else.

As much as I love the fact I get pain relief from consuming copious amounts of ganja there is a limit to how effective it can be but the real game changer has been improving my fitness but specifically my core strength. It hit me hard that apart from a few failed gym memberships I hadn't exercised my body properly since leaving school over 20 years ago. I started on a programme of HIIT cardio and dude I couldn't complete it, I was 20 stone with back pain that stopped me doing the simplest of things. I'm crap with dates but its been about 18 months now and I'm just under 16 stone and never been fitter in my life. I can't explain enough how I feel better and better day after day and after having a numb leg for 10 months straight its gone and my pain is more than manageable.

Its like most things in life its down to you and your mind set to do everything to overcome this, for me my back is never going to be good again but if I look back on here it was only a few months ago I said to another member that I would love to try kayak fishing but not a chance because of my back in that position all day. Even after just a few months the improvement means I can realistically consider being able to do this and I'm booked in for a trial.

Movement, movement, movement then pain relief is the mantra you need. Be the very best version of you that you can be.

The doctors love to push meds on you and the only way I stopped them was when they realised the bad effects they have on me then when they said my future would be those nasty tablets for the rest of my days I took responsibility and ownership for my own back care. I've researched, practiced and applied and I'm a different person to the one I was 18 months ago constantly in pain, grumpy and not wanting to do things in case it makes it worse.

Good luck with your quest to grow and smoke to help relieve the pain 

• Like 6

@Kush Lover im in the same position with the degenrative discs and the sciatic, and a few other things. Presently going to bed is in no way something i look forward too. Don't lift anything heavy in anyway or stand washing dishes is a no go. Meds worked for awhile but now not so much. I microdose cana capsules which seems to help but certainly not the be all and end all, a good salve works great once rubbed I find. But hey it's it the way things are and it wont ever get better but always ways to get some pain relief.

Toke....

• Like 4

Fuct discs and a few fused vertebrae here.  Dope, magnesium baths (Epsom salts - 1kg dose), stretching and if you can afford it regular deep tissue massage. 

I can manage till spasms kick in.  I used to go into spasm once every couple o months, out of action for 2 weeks each time. 

Since doing the above I've been spasm free for all of 2021.  Best run I've had in five years. 

@tokenroll its crap isn't it, like really crap and this is why I am on a one man mission to not overcome it as you know its impossible but I'm not going to let it get in my way. Washing dishes as easy as it sounds is excruciating or anything bending and leaning forward even just the slightest amount used to ruin me for the day. 

For anyone else reading this I cannot stress how much regular exercise and building my core has helped to the point I think I am annoying the shit out of people by treating everything as a new experience. We took family to the beach at the weekend and instead of walking to the sea to wash off the BBQ tools I fucking leapt from rock to rock with a huge smile on my face like a kid. When I returned to everyone else having repeated the same exercise back up the beach I was asked why the hell I did that...simple answer is because I can!

It hurts to start of with but get some cardio under your belt then evolve into bodyweight exercises from there, of course it is mandatory to get high first lol 

I have read extensively that many people who use NSAIDs especially ibuprofen reach a point where the tablets actually give pain or the perception of pain. We pop them like they are breath mints sometimes but they are actually really really bad long term.

• Like 5