Prophets Crystal Candy - Single Plant Grow - 5th Sweet Seeds Competition

Prophet

Hello Everyone :)

Firstly a huge thanks to Sweet Seeds for another amazing competition. I've grown quite a few Sweet Seeds strains over the last few years and actually still have some Crystal Candy seeds left over from the previous competition. So, no new beans required :) Here is the details of the strain:

This strain was developed within a special program of the Sweet Seeds® R&D Department focused on the search for curious, exquisite and subtle sweet aromas that evoke aromatic sensations of candy shop. The aroma of this strain is sweet and fruity, with tones of chewing gum and fruit jellies, mixed with hints of acid strawberry and mature melon.
This strain is a big producer of aromatic resin crystals that completely cover the flowers and their surrounding leaves with a very high density of long, large-headed trichomes.

The plants look like Indica-Sativa polyhybrids, very vigorous and productive, with big buds and long side branches.

Variety SWS58
Indica/Sativa: 60%/40%
THC: 15-21% · CBD: 0,3%
Indoor Yield: 500-650 g/m2
Outdoor Yield: 500-700 g/plant
Indoor Blooming: 9 weeks
Outdoor Harvest: mid to late September

For this grow I'm going to be keeping it really simple. I've recently moved house and have some space in the loft. The previous owner actually left a single wardrobe up there! Fate? This seems like to perfect start to a small grow cabinet. As it's tall and narrow I'll only be able to grow a single plant in there, so no room for error! My specs and kit for this grow is super-simple:

- 350mm W x 500mm D x 1400mm H

- Single 80w LED Panel

- 4" Fan & Rhino Pro filter

- Soil 

- Oldtimers Bloom

It doesn't get much more simple than that :) 

The LED panel was kindly supplied as a tester by @diyleduk so this diary will show both my Sweet Seeds competition entry AND a single plant tester for DIYLEDUK. I'm not sure if anyone has attempted a full grow with just an 80w panel yet, so this will hopefully be interesting! 

large.IMGP0051.JPG

When installing the LED panel i had a bit of a brain-wave; Why not use the ballast as underfloor heating? Plants love warm roots, right? It's quite cold here in the UK still so this will hopefully help. This was simply a case of rewiring the lead to make it longer:

large.IMGP0053.JPG

Then i place a metal grid over the top and a tray on top of that (the ballast is rated as waterproof too in-case anyone was wondering about the wisdom of putting electrics on the floor). I've ran the ballast for 24 hours prior to this to gauge the temperature and it only ever gets warm to the touch. It runs at about 80%

large.IMGP0068.JPG

As i'm only growing a single plant i wanted to see if i could germinate a single seed. I planted one with cling film over the pot and three days later she's just thrown off her shell

large.IMGP0064.JPG

So that's one plant, and only 80w of power! I'm curious to see what i can achieve . . .

Thanks for reading. I'll be posting weekly updates :) 

• Like 16

@Prophet welcome along may the power of dialaduck be with you. I think you will be rather surprised at what can be achieved with just 80 watts and some coco and nutes. Train her wide and flip at about 12inches high defoliated like mad is my advice. I have grown with a single cob which runs at 58 watts max at the wall in veg for a few years now and also flowered one for the crack. It filled my kinler jar and I don't keep any stick on my buds. Best off all have some fun.

Toke...

• Like 2

Tidy little space mate and 80w of led should be good in that space.

Nice use of the ballast for heat. Well covered from above with the tray but maybe lift it off the floor slightly in case of spillage, for that extra piece of mind?

Good luck dude :yep:

• Like 2

Welcome to the comp my friend, I will be around this ;)

Best of luck!!

jaypp

Edited by Sweet Seeds -Jaypp
  • Like 1

80watts of pure magickery ...the veg board at 65 watts grew me some tasty tasty disco biscuit so i dont doubt youll be very nicely suprised with 80watts chap .

• Like 2

*** WEEK 1 ***

That is the first crucial week out of the way. Normally after the first week you'll have a good idea of whether the seed is going to be good or not. I'm pleased to say it's looking just fine :) 

After having a bit of a rethink regarding my new grow-drobe I've decided to change locations. The aforementioned wardrobe was in the side annex of the loft and was a little too cold for my liking (the loft is fully 'converted' but the annex is not). Lights on temps were around 20c but lights off were down to 16c. So with this in mind I've moved the grow into one of the fitted cabinets in the main loft where it is carpeted and all-round warmer. The grow space is almost identical but I've lost 20cm of headroom. The new dimensions are:

350mm W x 500mm D x 1200mm H

The rest of the details are the same; Still using the 80w LED panel (18/6) and the 4" Rhino pro & fan. Temps are better now at 22c lights on, and 18c lights off. I also have a velux window so can control the ambient temperature easily.

I also had another little revelation :) I was worried about the power of the LED for use on a very young seedling. But I've found that a drawer from a plastic storage tower fits inside the tray perfectly:

large.IMGP0071.JPG 

This acts as a diffuser for the light and also keeps the seedling warmer, acting as a non-heated propagator

This is a picture of the new grow space. I'll be cutting the holes for both the intake vent and extraction this weekend

large.IMGP0070.JPG 

And finally a pic of the seedling here at the end of week 1

large.IMGP0072.JPG

Once I'm at four nodes she'll get topped (twice) and moved to a large tub. At this point i'll start training the tops horizontally to maximize the space. This will give me probably 8 main colas (including side branches) to grow vertically. This diagram gives the idea:

large.Untitled.png

Anyhow. That's all for now.

More updates next week :) 

• Like 16

now thats an interesting space and interesting light ..best of luck prophet ..

• Like 2

She's looking good at this early stage @Prophet and probably wise moving to the other space with it being warmer, shame you're losing a bit if head room, but sounds like you've got a master plan :yep:

• Like 2

*** WEEK 2 ***

And here we are at week 2 of veg :) 

So far, so good. Everything that's mean't to be green, is. Growth has been steady and is exactly where I'd expect it to be at this stage. Temps are still stable at 22c/18c and another few days in this starter pot before we move up to the next size. She'll be potted up in three stages; starter, middle and final. With the final being a tub. This will allow me to train the branches out nice and horizontally before we switch to flower. Before then she needs to be topped twice which will happen in the middle pot.

Not much else to report at this stage really :) 

large.IMGP0079.JPG

large.IMGP0081.JPG

Nice healthy white roots showing

large.IMGP0082.JPG

Until next week . . .

• Like 9