First attempt - Oxypot

Bazzie

Yesterday I came home to about 1cm of growth above the rockwool surface :toldya:

large.IMG_20190212_153753.jpg

I turned on a desk lamp with what I think is a halogen tube about 10 inches away and this morning she's looking like this:

large.IMG_20190213_081125.jpg

I removed the cling film and sprayed a couple of sprays of vaporised water + katana roots.

1 minute ago, Bazzie said:

I removed the cling film and sprayed a couple of sprays of vaporised water + katana roots.

What is vapourised water? a part from being steam lol

I wouldn`t spray a seedling with anything tbh mate, you`ll risk damping off.

• Like 1

Just now, ratdog said:

What is vapourised water? a part from being steam lol

I wouldn`t spray a seedling with anything tbh mate, you`ll risk damping off.

Haha, probably not technically vapourised then, just a really fine mist spray.

Planning on moving into the bigger rockwool cube tonight.                          

• Like 1

Cancelled the plans to move to a bigger rockwool cube, tried it in the net and there would be no room for the pebbles.large.IMG_20190214_080140.jpg

I also got a backup going in another cube. I may DIY a oxypot if they both look good.large.IMG_20190214_080207.jpg

First one is looking good to me, I've read online about bending the stem which will force it to get stronger = beneficial later down the line. Hopefully into the oxypot for this one tomorrow,large.IMG_20190214_080238.jpg

16/02/19 

Put the backup into clay pebbles and in the oxypot.

Light is 1.3m away, bubbles hitting the clay pebbles with 5ml cal mag, 3ml Katana Roots, 3 drops lemon juice into the oxypot. Temp set to 24oC with lights on 24hrs. pH 6

17/02/19 watered from above as Rockwool was dry

18/02/19 little more water from the top

large.MVIMG_20190216_142009.jpglarge.IMG_20190218_093845.jpglarge.IMG_20190216_142320.jpglarge.IMG_20190216_101145.jpg

Nice choice on the Dwc mate. Haven't seen you mention hydroguard or sm90 there. Are you using either or something else to keep the res clean? Risk all sorts of nasty gunk growing in the res if you don't.

I use sm90 and can run the res up to 29*c before I start getting nervous. It's also a root stimulant and a natural pest deterrent so carries lots of benefits. Cheap as chips too. £15 bottle makes up to 3000 litres of feed. Some do manage to grow hydro no worries without a cleaning product but i wouldn't recommend it. 

• Like 1

Oh and stop bending seedlings lol. They wont like it. Dont touch them till theyve got a couple sets of leaves. Pretty fragile untill they're rooted up a bit. 

• Like 2

hows it looking today?

the last pic you posted looked like it was over watered to be honest, but maybe its survived.
ANy pics

• Like 1

4 hours ago, badbillybob said:

hows it looking today?

the last pic you posted looked like it was over watered to be honest, but maybe its survived.
ANy pics

Hi BBB :)

I poured the water over the clay pebbles only, not the wool. It was looking well yesterday, not had a look today. Here's a pic from the 23rd:

Your advice would be much appreciated, still no roots through the net pot but with an inch cube and 3~4 inch deep pot I suppose that't to be expected? Placed in net pot on the 16th.

I can see a purple stem and not very green leaf tips.....

large.IMG_20190223_082519.jpg

On 24/02/2019 at 11:04 AM, Captain buckfast said:

Nice choice on the Dwc mate. Haven't seen you mention hydroguard or sm90 there. Are you using either or something else to keep the res clean? Risk all sorts of nasty gunk growing in the res if you don't.

I use sm90 and can run the res up to 29*c before I start getting nervous. It's also a root stimulant and a natural pest deterrent so carries lots of benefits. Cheap as chips too. £15 bottle makes up to 3000 litres of feed. Some do manage to grow hydro no worries without a cleaning product but i wouldn't recommend it. 

Hi Captain,

Not using anything yet mate. TBH I'm expecting this one to die soon and me to give up :cowboy:

If she does survive and I see roots out the pot I'll invest in some sm90 :yep:

On 24/02/2019 at 11:06 AM, Captain buckfast said:

Oh and stop bending seedlings lol. They wont like it. Dont touch them till theyve got a couple sets of leaves. Pretty fragile untill they're rooted up a bit. 

Haha, aye aye captain x

4 hours ago, badbillybob said:

• Like 1

have you go the airstones on?

what I would do is increase the water level in the bucket, till it is just touching the bottom of the net pot, and make sure to put the airstone direcly underneath it so the bubbles are hitting it, and the roots will come on down in a day or two , betcha.

Good luck, keep us updated.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

have you go the airstones on?

what I would do is increase the water level in the bucket, till it is just touching the bottom of the net pot, and make sure to put the airstone direcly underneath it so the bubbles are hitting it, and the roots will come on down in a day or two , betcha.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Airstone is on and under the net pot for a week or so now. I'll stay patient and hope to see some roots soon :)

• Like 1

Just now, Bazzie said:

I'll stay patient and hope to see some roots soon

You could be waiting some time bud, far too early to put this into any dwc system...

There needs to be an abundance of roots coming from the large rockwool block before going into your oxypot.

As you have it now the rockwool will stay wet which will drown what little root system there is inside the block,

there is no encouragement for the roots to go looking for moisture all the time they have plenty around them,  this plant will invariably damp off and die.

Take it out of the system and water by hand a little at a time until you have a sound root structure coming from underneath, not just one or two strands...

It's better to start seeds in rootit or root riot cubes, rockwool holds too much water and I never use it.

Once you have a tap root, place the cube into the mesh pot and support with clay pebbles. Water from above by hand until you have a good rootball then into the dwc,

to encourage roots all around the mesh pot and not just underneath, put it inside a solid pot of the same size, this will stop any light getting to the roots.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, stu914 said:

You could be waiting some time bud, far too early to put this into any dwc system...

There needs to be an abundance of roots coming from the large rockwool block before going into your oxypot.

As you have it now the rockwool will stay wet which will drown what little root system there is inside the block,

there is no encouragement for the roots to go looking for moisture all the time they have plenty around them,  this plant will invariably damp off and die.

Take it out of the system and water by hand a little at a time until you have a sound root structure coming from underneath, not just one or two strands...

It's better to start seeds in rootit or root riot cubes, rockwool holds too much water and I never use it.

Once you have a tap root, place the cube into the mesh pot and support with clay pebbles. Water from above by hand until you have a good rootball then into the dwc,

to encourage roots all around the mesh pot and not just underneath, put it inside a solid pot of the same size, this will stop any light getting to the roots.

Bad Billy got me all relaxed and then you Stu went and got me worried again :mellow:

I'm home and just went down and was shocked to find some new leaves and..... Decent amount of roots all over! Some bits 3 or 4 inches long and lots of little bits poking out the net pot :)

I'm well happy with that.

Tbh everything you said Stu made sense and I'm just super relieved to see some roots.

I can't add pictures from my phone so I'll add them tomorrow and probably drain and refill. Is it time for the veg feed?

• Like 4

Not as shocked as me bud...:rofl:

Glad they've worked out for you this time, make sure you don't let that rockwool get waterlogged though...

Good luck buddy...:yep:

• Like 4