First attempt - Oxypot

Bazzie

I don't know how effective a 4 inch extractor fan is going to be in the size of space you've described.  I use the same size in a 70-70-160 tent and there's not a massive deal of negative pressure.  To give you an idea of temps using LED lights, my central heating is set to 21C.  When my (200W power draw) LED is running on full, the temps rise to a steady 26/27C.

• Like 2

Just now, JJJ said:

I don't know how effective a 4 inch extractor fan is going to be in the size of space you've described.  I use the same size in a 70-70-160 tent and there's not a massive deal of negative pressure.  To give you an idea of temps using LED lights, my central heating is set to 21C.  When my (200W power draw) LED is running on full, the temps rise to a steady 26/27C.

Cheers JJJ, project creep is steadily kicking in :) mine is in a unheated garage. Still waiting for lots of pieces of the puzzle, but the plan was to have a simple 8" intake in the bottom right corner and the 4" extractor in the top left corner. Along with a fan in the groom.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bazzie said:

mine is in a unheated garage

Definitely a yes to the aquarium heater mate, make sure you get one that goes down to at least 20c and leave it there.

I use one in an unheated shed and my roots are always between 19/20, this is really important..!!

Below 18c and they stop growing, get waterlogged and usually die, temps too high and root rot is an issue so it can be difficult in summer

Sectioning off and insulating a portion of your room makes it far easier to control temps and humidity all year round,

it will be a struggle with only 4" extractor in the summer though...if you are using passive intakes they need to be 3 to 5 times the size of the outtake

Ventilation is the most important part so buy the best you can afford to suit your space...good luck mate...default_thumbsup.gif

stu  :oldtoker:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stu914 said:

Definitely a yes to the aquarium heater mate, make sure you get one that goes down to at least 20c and leave it there.

I use one in an unheated shed and my roots are always between 19/20, this is really important..!!

Below 18c and they stop growing, get waterlogged and usually die, temps too high and root rot is an issue so it can be difficult in summer

Sectioning off and insulating a portion of your room makes it far easier to control temps and humidity all year round,

it will be a struggle with only 4" extractor in the summer though...if you are using passive intakes they need to be 3 to 5 times the size of the outtake

Ventilation is the most important part so buy the best you can afford to suit your space...good luck mate...default_thumbsup.gif

stu  :oldtoker:

Thanks for the advice Stu, I'll get the water heater and see how we go with the temps in this weather. Passive intakes will be increased :)

• Like 1

If you want you can build youyr own led. Not to advanced.

Much cheaper not to mention the fun ;)

Very good guides available on the net. If you're interrested i can pm info.

• Like 1

Most of my bits have arrived, groom is 90% done. 

Led should be here on Thursday night thanks to @diyleduk 

I've ordered a Systemair RVK Sileo 5 inch just need a good filter to go with it. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. I'm worrying now about smell and sound.

I got a free Critical seed from RQSeeds. I'm tempted to get another oxypot and have one under the scope 375 and one under the eBay Led.

mountain air for filters

don't go rhino pro, they are shit these days, too many complaints about them to risk it.

good shout on the rqs critical. im doing some now too, and have grown them for years. A good solid choice.

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2019 at 10:16 AM, Bazzie said:

Hi :cowboy:

I've been spending waaaaay too much on Cali bud recently and enjoy a bit of gardening so thought why not :) Total noob with only google for help and support :wanker:

So far I've got the following:

• SHOGUN Katana Roots - 250mls
  • SHOGUN Samurai Hydro Grow (Soft Water) - 2 Litre (1L A + 1L B)
  • SHOGUN Samurai Hydro Bloom (Soft Water) - 2 Litre (1L A + 1L B)
  • 1 x Oxypot
  • VitaLink Clay Pebbles - 10 Litres
  • Grodan Large Cuttings Seed Cubes x 24
  • 7.5 cm (3 inch) Grodan Transplanting Cubes x 8 to suit Large Cutting Seed Cubes
  • Pipette - 3mls
  • 7 Day Digital LCD Electronic Plug-in Programmable 12/24 Hour Timer Switch
  • Swiftair Temperature Fan Speed Controller 
  • 2000W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum 
  • 4" In Line Fan Carbon Filter Duct Kit
  • PH Meter Tester
  • Thermo-hygrometer 
  • 3 x Royal Gorilla feminised seed (+1 free random)

I'm still building the grow area, it will be roughly 1m wide, 1.8m long and 2m high. 

The LED light is a £60 eBay job, the plan is germinate 2 seeds and pick the sexiest of the two and plant that so just one plant and then if/when it dies I'll have a couple of seeds ready to go.

I would really appreciate any advice on my setup, I have 2 main concerns, the LED and nutes. 

LED:

The listing says:

2000W LED Grow light Panel

Full spectrum for vegetative and flowering stage: 430~440nm, 450~475nm, 620~630nm, 650~670nm, White, IR(730nm)
Coverage Area: about 5 x 5 Square Feet ( The lighting area and the height are changeable according to different plants and environments )
Lumens: 30000lm
Lux: 18000lux/1m  15000lux/1.5m
Lifespan: >50,000hours
LED Power : 2000W
Power consumption : energy saving ,only consumes about 220W~260W power and much more brighter
Worldwide Voltage: 85v-265v
Working environment : -20~40℃,45%~95%RH
Working Frequency: 50~60Hz

Should I get something better or give it a go? Anything that would compliment the above? I do have a 135w bulb and reflector that was used for photography years ago, should I add that? Also loads of halogen floodlights, I assume they are useless?

Nutes:

I'm in a soft water area so will definitely get some Shogun CalMag, anything else I should get?

Hello mate. Like you i am currently on my first grow using two oxypots the 20 litre.

My grow room is 1m by 50cm 2m high i am using a 450w viperspectra LED and it is just about adequate for my area, if i started from scratch i would defenetly have added two lights or a larger single.  I am 3 weeks into flower and plants are coming on nicely.

Your grow space is big  so that light i don't think will do the job, leds have their advantages as they don't let of much heat and also allows you to set them at a higher distance from the plants but its more difficult to know the amount of light needed for the grow room as all leds are different, most experienced growers will advice on HID for the veg stage. but then you will have more heat to deal with and they are not as efficient as leds and also you don't have to change the lights for both stages of the grow so its all down to your preference

I am using the same nutes as you with i would not be to worried about supplements boosters etc it just complicates things.  I only add katana roots and plants are very happy and i would recommend hydrogurad by botanicare which protects against root disease and has numerous other benefits. I would concentrate more on the environment, room and water temps are in my short experience the key

Do a lot of research their is plenty of online reading to do,  and take lots of advice from the guys here badbillybob and stu914 know their stuff they have helped me along my grow

Keep your diary updated feedback form experienced  growers is always a plus,  rookie errors are part o the learning curve so very important to avoid such mistakes as it can hurt your grow

Good luck

Edited by scientific
  • Like 1

Finally put a seed in a cube, wanted to do the free Critical seed but after popping out out of the pack it vanished. So used a Royal Gorilla

large.IMG_20190119_125023.jpg

8/02/19
1 litre warm tap water with 5ml katana roots, soaked rock wool cube for 15mins. pH 6
Removed cubes from water and allowed to stand for 15 minutes.
Critical+ lost so used a royal gorilla seed 7pm
Placed seed +cube in a bowl with cling film lid near my boiler. 24°c

• Like 1

24 is a bit warm for a seed maybe get it nearer 18 degrees

Shame you lost the critical, its a great solid strain.

• Like 1

Bazzie dude do yourself a favour bro and get rock wool and drape it over and around your tent (I used acoustic for sound proofing too) it will help keep temps under control saving you money if your fans are temp controlled but mainly it helps keep a stable environment. Me and the mate never bothered insulating the tent but when we did, whoooo weeee it helped a lot. 

Edited by TheGreenShabeenReturns

23 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

24 is a bit warm for a seed maybe get it nearer 18 degrees

Thanks, I'll move it to my bedroom then.

11 minutes ago, TheGreenShabeenReturns said:

Bazzie dude do yourself a favour bro and get rock wool and drape it over and around your tent (I used acoustic for sound proofing too) it will help keep temps under control saving you money if your fans are temp controlled but mainly it helps keep a stable environment. Me and the mate never bothered insulating the tent but when we did, whoooo weeee it helped a lot. 

Shabz, love your diary boss xxx

My tent is made out of insulation, double layers everywhere, triple on the roof and 4x on the floor. Super cozy inside.

I'm still waiting for a bigger extraction to turn up. eBay + Hermes taking the mick now.

@Bazzie thanks broski, mate I've always thought about feathering/toothing, or whatever the term is, sheets of Kingspan insulation with the plasterboard on it and making a room like a big jigsaw.

Loving ebay myself you can get all sorts of shit on it. 

Hopefully them gorillas start rocking the tent about exploding buds out everywhere, one thing I have to say is and sorry if you've a mouthful of egg after I potentially tell you how to suck em here, use a heater for lights off it blew my mind the difference in the buds. I could start playing tennis with some of my buds or start breaking windows of ppl whom I dislike. 

I have an 8 inch extractor and for weeks there was an ever illusive rumbling, one of that which would resemble an articulated lorry encumbered with large rubble coming to a stop outside my house. I thumped my chiller to near breaking point the poor thing mistakenly believing that I was reprimanding the woodby offender. Turns out it was the 8 inch yoko the wee fucker, no biggie but if your neighbours are on your case it will give them ammo. 

Looking forward to seeing how you get on