The Return Of The Serpent - Killer Kush & Sweet Special FV Comp Diary

Serpent

large.01-SS-Comp-2018-Header-KK-SS-1.jpg

It’s the return of the Serpent so here’s a big hello to friends old and new and welcome to my Sweet Seeds Competition Diary for 2018/19. I know I’ve not been around for a while, personal shit and all that jazz got in the way, so this will be my first grow in about two years. Yes, I’m a bit rusty so please bear with me as I expect a few hiccups along the way so here’s my humble grow diary, warts and all.

I’d also like to say a big thank you to Tommy, as I was planning on doing this diary anyway, growing out some Sweet Seeds I already had in my stash, I noticed they were running a competition, so after checking with him, he gave me the thumbs up to enter, thanks man.

THE PLAN

As my situation has changed, plus my old kit was getting a little worse for wear, it was time for an upgrade to something bigger and better. My DR60, which has served me well over the years, has now been replaced with a 1.2 BudBox Pro under a 600w, but more on that later.

The plan is to grow two Fast Version strains, Killer Kush and Sweet Special using Oldtimer nutes, Plant Magic soil, and supplements (I know they’ve changed ownership since I last used them, so let’s hope they still deliver!) plus a touch of Aptus Startbooster during propagation. Once in final pots, they’ll be topped, scrogged and flowered in 12L fabric pots, so let’s see how this pans out.

THE STRAINS

Killer Kush F1 Fast Version

LOT: 10 – 02 Jun 2015
Feminized and photoperiod-dependent version of one of the most famous strains from the West Coast of USA, developed around the year of 1994 in Sunset Beach, South California, the Ocean Grow Kush, better known as OG Kush.

With an ultra-fast flowering, our Killer Kush F1 Fast Version® (SWS52) is the resulting hybrid from the cross between a selected 3rd generation autoflowering genetic line leaning to the Indica side and an elite clone of OG Kush.

The result is an extremely potent plant with a very fast flowering. This strain produces large and aromatic buds, all covered by a thick layer of resin. The aroma is sweet, citric and acid with exotic tones reminiscent of aromas from the Chem Dawg – Diesel family.

Sweet Special F1 Fast Version

LOT: 10 – 24 Dec 2014
Feminized and non-autoflowering version of our SWS35 (Sweet Special Auto) now featuring ultra-fast flowering. This strain is an F1 hybrid resulting from the cross between a stabilized hybrid of Hog x Grapefruit and a selected strain of 3rd generation of Sweet Special Auto.

This version of Sweet Special Auto preserves the characteristic and desired sweet aroma, reminiscent of candies or fruit jellies, a trait inherited from its ancestors Hog and Grapefruit.

Just like our other F1 Fast Version® this strain is distinguished by its great hybrid vigor and fast flowering, producing big buds covered with aromatic resin in just a few weeks.

large.KK-SS-01.jpg

GERMINATION

After soaking two seeds of each strain for around 24 hours in room temperature water, the Killer Kush had started to crack, so I placed all four seeds between damp paper towels, sealed in a plastic tub and put into my airing cupboard, checking every 12 hours or so and giving them a light spray of water if needed.

large.KK-SS-02.jpg

Two days later, The Sweet Special had cracked as well and were starting to show their tap roots, so I left them between the paper towels for another 24 hours, while the Killer Kush were well on their way, so it was time to get them in their first small pots.

large.KK-SS-03.jpg

large.KK-SS-04.jpg

The media of choice was Westland Seed & Cutting Compost with 0.1ml per litre of Aptus Startbooster to help give them a kick start (I had a sample lying around and as I’ve heard good things about it, I thought why not give it a try). Once in the pots they were then placed into a propagator, and put into my trusty Micro Grow Box (Mylar lined PC Case) under a 23w CFL and left on for 24/7 with a temperature between 22-24C and humidity of around 70%.

large.KK-SS-05.jpg

large.KK-SS-06.jpg

large.KK-SS-07.jpg

A day later, the Sweet Specials were also ready, so I repeated the above, while the Killer Kush had broken the soil, were shedding their shell and reaching for the light.

large.KK-SS-08.jpg

large.KK-SS-09.jpg

large.KK-SS-10.jpg

Another 24 hours later, the Sweet Specials broke the soil, so that’s 100% germ rate with 3-4 year old seeds, the Killer Kush’s were also looking a little bit leggy, so I wrapped a drinking straw around their stems. OK I know straws are evil to our oceans and wildlife, and I really shouldn’t use them, but as I already had a load lying around, which would have been disposed of anyway, I might as well use them as let’s be honest, they do make bloody good support for seedlings.

large.KK-SS-11.jpg

large.KK-SS-12.jpg

large.KK-SS-13.jpg

large.KK-SS-14.jpg

large.KK-SS-15.jpg

large.KK-SS-16.jpg

large.KK-SS-17.jpg

• Like 17

IT DIDN’T TAKE LONG

Everything was going OK, then my first disaster struck, as I was positioning the probe of my thermometer, I accidentally knocked one of the Killer Kush with my arm, so after bigging up straws for support, it was actually the straw that caused the seedling to snap (plant on far left), if it wasn’t there, it would have probably have been OK – is that karma at work?

large.KK-SS-18.jpg

I gave it another day to see if it would pull threw, but alas not. Luckily I still had 2 Killer Kush FV’s left as I wanted to grow out more than 3 plants, so germination was started once again and just to be on the safe side, I did both.

large.KK-SS-19.jpg

Using the same technique, both seeds cracked and were put into the Micro Box, but as I couldn’t use the propagator, I put a clear sandwich bag over them to act as a humidity dome. A day later, they’d both broke the soil and were shedding their shells, meanwhile the three established seedlings were showing their second set of true leaves and looking healthy.

large.KK-SS-22.jpg

large.KK-SS-20.jpg

large.KK-SS-21.jpg

BACK ON TRACK

I had to go away for a couple of days, so with the second batch now germinated, I was happy to leave them, keeping the light on 24/7. When I got back, both were reaching for the light and looking a tad leggy, so I put a pesky straw on for support, while the other 3 were coming along nicely.

I’ve also introduced a touch of Plant Magic Bio-Silicon to help strengthen the stems at 0.5ml per litre, along with 0.1ml of Aptus Startbooster.

large.KK-SS-23.jpg

large.KK-SS-24.jpg

large.KK-SS-25.jpg

So, finally, all’s now going in the right direction, the only (minor) issue is keeping an eye on the different number of days during veg, which I should work out, although it’s no big deal, so I’ll not worry too much. And I’ll leave you with some pics from earlier today, 24 hours after the above photos were taken.

large.KK-SS-26.jpg

large.KK-SS-27.jpg

large.KK-SS-28.jpg

large.KK-SS-29.jpg

large.KK-SS-30.jpg

Thanks y’all, until next time keep it green and I’ll now check out my fellow growers competition diaries to see what I’m up against :yep:

• Like 22

Great start to your diary dude, loving the picture frames for presentation ;)

Sweet Special sounds a nice tasty strain.

All looking nice and healthy, good luck with the grow and the comp :yep:

• Like 5

Hello serps, looks like you are going to take this comp seriously lol best of luck mate :)

Nice one on the upgrade to 1.2 tent, I did back in the summer and it was one of the best things I`ve done grow wise, much easier to deal with temps while upping the light power if you choose, I plan on flowering with 1030 watts this time, and with it being winter it should be fine...I hope lol

atb

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, the lone deranger said:

Nice start, and welcome back mate :yep:

Cheers @the lone deranger and its good to be back :skin_up:

16 minutes ago, hazy harry said:

Nice tae see ye back in action serps mate :yep:

Killer kush is a nice one too 

Aw the best dude

Thanks @hazy harry as its been a while! Yeah grew out some KK a couple of years back, enjoyed it, so looking forward to this :yep:

11 minutes ago, ratdog said:

Hello serps, looks like you are going to take this comp seriously lol best of luck mate :)

Nice one on the upgrade to 1.2 tent, I did back in the summer and it was one of the best things I`ve done grow wise, much easier to deal with temps while upping the light power if you choose, I plan on flowering with 1030 watts this time, and with it being winter it should be fine...I hope lol

atb

Hehe, well in for a penny in for a pound :george:

Yeah the upgrade had to be done as my situation has changed, not actually set it up yet, tent is still in the box, so I'd better pull me finger out :pitchfork:

1030w in flower, now that should give a good return!

• Like 7

Awesome opening posts there fella, just out of interest, how many plants did u grow in the dr60 at the same time? I think having them in 12l pots in a 120 ul be most pleased with yield, lets hope so eh?

sending positive vibes and atb with the show amigo.....:yinyang:

• Like 5

Very nice start and great presentation ;) 

Welcome to the sweet seeds comp my friend, 

We hope you enjoy it!!

Best of luck!!

jaypp

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grotbags said:

Awesome opening posts there fella, just out of interest, how many plants did u grow in the dr60 at the same time? I think having them in 12l pots in a 120 ul be most pleased with yield, lets hope so eh?

sending positive vibes and atb with the show amigo.....:yinyang:

Thanks for swinging by & the positive vibes @grotbags :yep:

I found the optimum in a DR60 was 3 plants (7L round pots) or 4 plants (6.5L square pots), as more plants isn't always a bigger/better yield, its also well worth scrogging to squeeze what you can out of a small space with limited head room and topping when growing photo strains. hope that helps :george:

1 hour ago, Sweet Seeds -Jaypp said:

Very nice start and great presentation ;) 

Welcome to the sweet seeds comp my friend, 

We hope you enjoy it!!

Best of luck!!

jaypp

Thanks @Sweet Seeds -Jaypp and looking forward to this grow :thumsup:

• Like 6

ALL HAIL THE RETURN OF THE SERPENT !!!!

welcome back and great to see the man behind the auto sticky getting stuck in ..

good to see you and best of luck chap.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, vince noir rock n roll star said:

ALL HAIL THE RETURN OF THE SERPENT !!!!

welcome back and great to see the man behind the auto sticky getting stuck in ..

good to see you and best of luck chap.

:thumsup: thanks @vince noir rock n roll star and I'm surprised that auto thread is still a sticky as I've learnt quite a lot since I wrote that!

4 minutes ago, Smokebelch said:

@SerpentA great start to your diary, lots of info and lots of nice photos too. Good luck in the competition dude.

Cheers for swinging by @Smokebelch :yep:

• Like 4

your sticky has been a constant source of info for those delving into the world of auto flowering ..and you could always update with the new stuff you now know ..honestly ive dipped in there several times per year since you made that thread ..its a good one for all auto growers ,be proud man .

• Like 8