Looking for some last minute help!

PedwarUrgain

Hello Dinafem people and fellow growers!

Just about to be starting our first ever grow, and have been information hunting and as advised by @blackpoolbouncer "reading until our eyes bleed" :hippy: p.s. thank you for the 61 page epic! Very informative. We have narrowed out shortlist down and really fancy having a go at Quick Critical +. So we're going to be growing in a 90x90cm space and are thinking of growing four plants.

Is there any last advice before we start buying stuff in two days time? Particularly interested in pot sizes, would 15ltr pots be too big? 

Excited to get started, looking forward to not having to spend a fortune on weed anymore!

• Like 2

15 would be a bit big for your tent. , 10s would be fine, or even 8s at a push. but pot up from smaller pots, to get the root system to a decent size. And get yourself some form of mychorizal - tnc do a good one. sprinkle a small amount into the hole when you pot up, the roots love it

That's if you are in soil. if you are going coco, you can use 8s, but pot up from 4s.

good luck with your latest adventure.

The critical + gets good reviews.

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, PedwarUrgain said:

would 15ltr pots be too big?

IMO, yes, 4 X 15lt pots in a 90X90 space seems adventurous... especially if you plan to train the plants.

You'll also have a fairly long veg time to get 15lt pots fully rooted out and then you will have big, tall plants - how much head-room do you have there?

Just to give a sense of where I am coming from - on a good day, I can fill my 60X60 canopy with one plant in an 11lt pot - growth is spread horizontally with training, so it doesn't get too tall. If its yield your thinking of, have a read of Owd's piece on yield, lighting and number of plants! Good luck mate! :v:

• Like 3

4x11l should see you right for your first ride, your doing autos aren't ya? Start in 0.5l and go to 11l after 10-12 days.  

Follow a wet dry cycle religiously from day 1.

Good luck

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 4

Hello and welcome to the Dinafem sub-forum on UK420  :yep:

Personally with a

90cm x 90cm x 180-200cm tent 

4 plants is just enough but personally I would go with 7.5l maybe 10l fabric pots or air-pots. Members are getting great results with these pots and I can say from personal experience. Air-pots allowed me to go from 11l square pots on a Wilma Dripper to 6.5l air pots. Reduced medium but 25-30% yield increase :yep:

Also what lighting will you be using my friend? 

Welcome to Dinafem  :bong:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, badbillybob said:

15 would be a bit big for your tent. , 10s would be fine, or even 8s at a push. but pot up from smaller pots, to get the root system to a decent size. And get yourself some form of mychorizal - tnc do a good one. sprinkle a small amount into the hole when you pot up, the roots love it

That's if you are in soil. if you are going coco, you can use 8s, but pot up from 4s.

good luck with your latest adventure.

The critical + gets good reviews.

This is fab advice, thank you! Smaller pots = less money = more seeds so that's a win!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slugums said:

IMO, yes, 4 X 15lt pots in a 90X90 space seems adventurous... especially if you plan to train the plants.

You'll also have a fairly long veg time to get 15lt pots fully rooted out and then you will have big, tall plants - how much head-room do you have there?

Just to give a sense of where I am coming from - on a good day, I can fill my 60X60 canopy with one plant in an 11lt pot - growth is spread horizontally with training, so it doesn't get too tall. If its yield your thinking of, have a read of Owd's piece on yield, lighting and number of plants! Good luck mate! :v:

Again, excellent advice thank you! Will definitely have a read of Owd's post as yield is key for the first grow. The second and beyond is for learning and experimenting.

• Like 2

I'd definitely go for 4 11ltr pots m8. What lights you running? What medium you going to be using??

Edited by 1312
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

4x11l should see you right for your first ride, your doing autos aren't ya? Start in 0.5l and go to 11l after 10-12 days.  

Follow a wet dry cycle religiously from day 1.

Good luck

Thanks! We've decided to go with Quick Critical + as our first batch of seeds, which aren't autos but they do have a very quick grow time. Do you think that straight from one small pot to it's final pot is still the way to go? Or pot up gradually? 

• Like 1

go 0.5 to somewhere inbetween 2.5 and 5l and then you can go from that into 11l. You can pot up in more stages but as long as you folow that wet and dry cycle and make sure the pot is fully rooted before each pot up you will be fine with that.

Its one of the few things thats slighty different between photos and autos. 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

Hello and welcome to the Dinafem sub-forum on UK420  :yep:

Personally with a

90cm x 90cm x 180-200cm tent 

4 plants is just enough but personally I would go with 7.5l maybe 10l fabric pots or air-pots. Members are getting great results with these pots and I can say from personal experience. Air-pots allowed me to go from 11l square pots on a Wilma Dripper to 6.5l air pots. Reduced medium but 25-30% yield increase :yep:

Also what lighting will you be using my friend? 

Welcome to Dinafem  :bong:

All the best 

Mark..

Hello and thank you for your very useful advice! We are already set on using air pots, but it looks like the consensus is around the 10ltr mark so we'll defo go for air pots. 

Our current plans, lighting-wise is a 600w dual spectrum HPS we're a little concerned it might be a bit too hot. Given the weather here the last few days (super cold temperatures) and we live in a cold house so also concerned it might be too cold any advice there is welcome. 400w or 600w?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1312 said:

I'd definitely go for 4 11ltr pots m8. What lights you running?

As I mentioned previously, at the moment we're looking at a 600w dual spectrum HPS but concerned it may be too hot. That said the winters here are :censored: cold so obviously we don't want them to be cold either. Any advice there? Thank you :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

go 0.5 to somewhere inbetween 2.5 and 5l and then you can go from that into 11l. You can pot up in more stages but as long as you folow that wet and dry cycle and make sure the pot is fully rooted before each pot up you will be fine with that.

Its one of the few things thats slighty different between photos and autos. 

Thank you, that's brilliant. Will definitely be sticking to a rigid cycle and documenting as we go (we're both information collectors) for future reference. Looking up different sized pots as we speak.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1312 said:

what height are you playing with?

180cm. We're space limited, would have loved a bigger tent but starting smaller for now is fine :) 

• Like 1