HSO germination issues.

HSO-Mark

Hello all. I hope everyone is well :yep:

We do try our best to minimise germination issue but they can occur from time to time.

At the request of @beezee We have started a thread so we can monitor germination issue's. 

I know both @Donkeybong& @beezee Have had germination issues with our Black d.o.g and I do recall that a big stumbling block with the pot noodle challenge competition was the germination of our Bubbas gift. 

If you have had any germination issues with any HSO strains please post your experiences here.

Thanks all :bong:

Kind regards 

Mark..

Edited by HSO-Mark
  • Like 6

Yea, I had some issues.  Wasn't going to mention it because I won them in a HSO comp and it seemed wrong to complain

about something I'd had for free.

But being as you asked...

As you know, Mark, I got 10 seeds - 5 Blue Dream autos and 5 Green Crack fems.  Three of the BDs germinated and two of the GCs.

Anyway atb,

:yinyang:

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Amaethon said:

Yea, I had some issues.  Wasn't going to mention it because I won them in a HSO comp and it seemed wrong to complain

about something I'd had for free.

But being as you asked...

As you know, Mark, I got 10 seeds - 5 Blue Dream autos and 5 Green Crack fems.  Three of the BDs germinated and two of the GCs.

Anyway atb,

:yinyang:

This is why it was started brother  :yep:

Sorry about that mate. Free seeds or paid for the germination rates should be the same.

Drop me a pm buddy and ill get some fresh sent your way :yep:

Kind regards 

Mark..

• Like 3

I lost 4 out of 5 bubbas gift for the pot noodle challange, 5th is struggling as well...they break there shells but struggle to get above ground.:yinyang:

• Like 1

@goldie_2007 This has been the biggest issue with bubbas gift mate. Some growers have no issue others really struggle. 

Through testing I've done on 3 batches of 50 seeds

Batch 1 was paper towel tech, set in a Tupperware container and on a heat mat. Constant temps of 82o(c). From this 47-50 germinated :yep: . 60% sprouted within 36 hours the rest in 60 maximum. Giving a 96% success rate. 

Batch 2 was direct into 

25 jiffy7,s

25 root!t cubes

Placed in propogator. Set to 80-82o(c) with humidity at 75%. And under a 125w blue clf.

48 hours. Nothing at all. 

72 hours, around 50% of the seeds started to emerge from both rooters. 

96 hours I had 90% through. 

I thought this was the final count but after 6 days another 1 showed and day 7 showed 1 more. Making 94% success rate  :yep:

Now my final method was direct into 250ml pots, filled with coco.

This was by far the worst method and only resulted in 64% success and some of those took 10 day's to show. 32/50 seeds.

By far one of the hardest strains to sprout and all info on this subject will be looked at to try and improve the germination rates. 

What method did or are you using my friend @goldie_2007?

If other members who have had bad germination rates could also add your method of germination that would be fantastic  :yep:

Kind regards 

Mark..

E2a- One thing I did notice was that the shell's on bubbas gift are very thickly walled. My dad used to get a matchbox and sand the seed. I need to test this on bubbas gift but in general if a seed is hard to crack this tech helps  :bong:

Edited by HSO-Mark
  • Like 4

I dropped my bubba gift in 1inch rockwool cube and she was up in 48hours. No extra heat, just 25-29C air.

Was really relieved as I'm used to freebies being less than stellar. The root mass did seem to stay small, but I figured that was by design. For how easy she was to grow I was very happy with yield, despite being smaller. Watching the noodle pot competition, would be great candidate for SoG, I think. 

• Like 1

I stuck two HSO seeds into compost in July and put them under a light and they germed in 4 days and are now flowering. Both seeds were freebies, so thanks @HSO-Mark :yep: and had been in my fridge since Xmas 2014 when Attitude did a promo.

Blueberry Head Band and 707 Truthband.

Just added as balance   :yinyang:

:smoke:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HSO-Mark said:

@goldie_2007 This has been the biggest issue with bubbas gift mate. Some growers have no issue others really struggle. 

Through testing I've done on 3 batches of 50 seeds

Batch 1 was paper towel tech, set in a Tupperware container and on a heat mat. Constant temps of 82o(c). From this 47-50 germinated :yep: . 60% sprouted within 36 hours the rest in 60 maximum. Giving a 96% success rate. 

Batch 2 was direct into 

25 jiffy7,s

25 root!t cubes

Placed in propogator. Set to 80-82o(c) with humidity at 75%. And under a 125w blue clf.

48 hours. Nothing at all. 

72 hours, around 50% of the seeds started to emerge from both rooters. 

96 hours I had 90% through. 

I thought this was the final count but after 6 days another 1 showed and day 7 showed 1 more. Making 94% success rate  :yep:

Now my final method was direct into 250ml pots, filled with coco.

This was by far the worst method and only resulted in 64% success and some of those took 10 day's to show. 32/50 seeds.

By far one of the hardest strains to sprout and all info on this subject will be looked at to try and improve the germination rates. 

What method did or are you using my friend @goldie_2007?

If other members who have had bad germination rates could also add your method of germination that would be fantastic  :yep:

Kind regards 

Mark..

E2a- One thing I did notice was that the shell's on bubbas gift are very thickly walled. My dad used to get a matchbox and sand the seed. I need to test this on bubbas gift but in general if a seed is hard to crack this tech helps  :bong:

Paper towel method in two seperate batches, then into a light compost once tap roots we're out.  Some never made it out the earth, two made it out struggling to kick off there shells then died.

• Like 1

Hey Mark, here’s one of the 2 of mine that failed to do anything: (left in cotton for 5 days to see if it was a late shower) 

XaHbusO.jpg

It popped within the first 12 hours, then nothing else happened. The other one did the same and pushed out a little nib of a root and stopped. 

Im using the cotton pad, takeaway tub and heater method, then into wetted coco.  By contrast here’s the blue dream 36 hours after getting it in cotton:

aBGnoek.jpg

Tonight it’s up and out and can clearly make out the first true leaves coming out.

Edited by Donkeybong
Extra info
  • Like 1

Well @HSO-Mark no issues with germination here, except that bout of murdering I did the beginning of summer, but that was down to heat. :down:

Just popped 2 Mango Sapphire last week both popped up in a couple of days and are going well,

Take it easy.Jj:yinyang:

• Like 2

@Jibba jabba Thanks for the input buddy. 

This is strange as some members have no issue others they just can't get the seeds to crack.

It's mainly with Bubbas gift and Black D.O.G. 

Look out for a pm mate :yep: may have a project for you ;)

Kind regards 

Mark..

@vince noir rock n roll star What are your germination rates like?

• Like 1