3 hours ago, Davey Jones said:

Imposter syndrome only affects people who are good

Unfortunately Dunning Kruger syndrome is much more prevalent IME

Does it mean I have both if I worry about thinking I'm more intelligent than I actually am ?

• Like 8

Guest theokoles
46 minutes ago, Davey Jones said:

I do like a bit of amateur psychology it’s a really powerful thing

Currently listening to Esther Perels podcast, a couples therapist. Very empowering learning how to manage/communicate with others when issues arise. I dont know much about her but ive listened to most of series 1 and 2. Titles include, Addict, Trauma doesnt like to be touched, I want to feel wanted, Leaving the shame behind and can you be right and be married? They are one time real couples therapy sessions.

The way Perel approaches these conflicts/struggles by showing couples how to examine their inner selves, and understand themselves, their partners and their issues better, reminds me of Freudian psychology.

Edited by theokoles

Thanks for your contributions folks.

I'm learning new stuff already! 

I see we have a few amateur psychologists on the boards, which I'd hoped tbh!   

The two things really pickling my brain at the moment are the whole visualisation and affirmation thing. 

I think* I understand the concept and the whole "assuming the feeling" thing, not just relying on repetition or visionary stimulus alone etc..

But that's when I get a bit hazy I mean, is there a purely "physical" reason these methods 'work'? Indeed are they actually working?  Certainly many seem convinced they do...

And if they do work what does that mean? From a human/mental/spiritual/evolutionary concept?

I mean if we really are so intricately linked on a universal level (not just to each other but the physical world) that we can manifest things into our lives by assuming the right feelings...  mind-blowing isn't the right word issit!

Writing it down like that makes it seem all the more ridiculous reading it back! lol

But theres something...

Hmmm maybe it's just delayed reaction Korsakoff syndrome and dodgeez just losing HIS mind lol

• Like 5

Guest theokoles
8 hours ago, Dodgee said:

I mean if we really are so intricately linked on a universal level (not just to each other but the physical world) that we can manifest things into our lives by assuming the right feelings...  mind-blowing isn't the right word issit!

I think this in part is down to positive thinking. Some people repeat mantras, others meditate or pray, visualise their goals and in so doing change their chemisytry through positive thinking. You can shape your own world, the reality you dream of and fantasies you desire, simply by believing you can and taking steps towards doing this. Even doing something like joining a gym or night class can change you or at the very least the perception of you, and give a knew purpose to your life, fulfill a goal or dream..invite opportuniries for further education, more social interaction, more sex, more friends and opportunities. So in a very short time you can go from depressed, isolated alone, desperate and in a rut, cant see the wood for the trees... to living a dream. Sometimes we may just "find" ourselfves at college or at a new club, new job and things start to happen naturally due to your actions and not neccessarily because you are conciously trying to make positive changes, you might just happen upon a new endevour/challenge out of boredom yet still positive things can happen. Its when you are conciouslly making chages in order to primarily alter your life knowing what your dreams and goals are, that you make more happen, being more aware of your self, who you are and what you want..makes the experiences all the more positive too. Its like a band that toured when they were young, but get back together years later and appreciate the tour much more.

I think age is an important factor, in some respects its harder when youre older to make big changes, fear and past experieces of failure tend to shape our beliefs. Yet its when we are older and wiser, that we are sometimes best equipped to handle the challenges needed to bring about positive changes and then we appreciate them all the more.

This video with Joe dispensa explains far better than I and is an interesting watch in itself,

The guy doing the interview is Tom bilyeo he's made a mint from the self help game as is one of the charlatans I feel ... Maybe unfairly of me though, many people really rate him and I have a friend who says he really helped him..

Anyways hope you enjoy the video is u can be arsed to watch it! lol

• Like 1

Maybe half hour a bit much for the average stoner attention span then lol

I found this guy today and the video is much shorter, wise words though, enjoy

On 9/5/2018 at 6:43 PM, Dodgee said:

Thanks for your contributions folks.

I'm learning new stuff already! 

I see we have a few amateur psychologists on the boards, which I'd hoped tbh!   

The two things really pickling my brain at the moment are the whole visualisation and affirmation thing. 

I think* I understand the concept and the whole "assuming the feeling" thing, not just relying on repetition or visionary stimulus alone etc..

But that's when I get a bit hazy I mean, is there a purely "physical" reason these methods 'work'? Indeed are they actually working?  Certainly many seem convinced they do...

And if they do work what does that mean? From a human/mental/spiritual/evolutionary concept?

Writing it down like that makes it seem all the more ridiculous reading it back! lol

But theres something...

Hmmm maybe it's just delayed reaction Korsakoff syndrome and dodgeez just losing HIS mind lol

Brain cognition, functions via repetitive process' mate yes,  Neurons fire and the synaptic links strengthen.  The more these fire the stronger the link, just think about breathing and normal body functions etc.  All is controlled and monitored via the brain and you don't even have to think about it.  And this is the key element for success.  When you are thinking, you are distracted from what you are doing.  However, when you are doing and not thinking, you have more brain power available for the task at hand and are therefore more likely to succeed in doing it as a result (humans are extremely adept beings and can do amazing feats when in the now and not preoccupied with thoughts)

With negative thought patterns see, they instil a 'belief' like say for instance there is a task that you have never done before and the mind starts doubting your ability to complete it successfully ;)The way out of this is to use logic and that's where Cognitive Behavioural techniques are extremely useful but requires an awareness about the self that the ego projects on others (which many find extremely difficult to get their head around due to mental disorders).

If you want to know more on success and how to achieve it within from academic viewpoint mate, then research Abraham Maslow because he did a lot of work on successful people and is how he derived his 'Hierarchy of Needs'.  It is based on excellent research tbh and I've a lot of respect for him and his work, given my own experiences in life and where I'm at now, from where I used to be.

Another which has been mentioned in this thread is Freud.  The introspective work and child psychological development stuff he did has merits mate and I didn't quite get Freud until I did my own work upon my thinking patterns in order to find the lack of logic and mate, yeah, Freud is not to be overlooked because I found stuff, processed the anxieties via logic reasoning (Socratic methods etc).

When you use logic, you become more balanced with your thought patterns.  You do not function irrationally so much and over time, with repetition, this becomes more the way you are and the negative thoughts are far less frequent.  As a result, your life also goes in the same direction and more positives are experienced.

The less you think see, the easier life becomes and when you don't think at all, it's like being a kid.  The imagination will go through the roof and when applied with some logic that an adult can process...that's when you have the power to really effect your reality. :yep: 

• Like 5

I can't believe you pulled the Noel card @vince noir rock n roll star...:no:

:nope:

Especially after @botanics went to the trouble of typing a well considered and thought out response on the exact topic at hand,  which brought up many fine points and interesting references...

The fucking Noel card? Tut. :nono:

Really, have a word with yourself lad.

• Like 4

his idea is no different is it not ..the power of positive thinking ..the intention makes manifest ..cmon ...look at him ..and his little rabbity face ..you know you want to believe ...

in your sleep tonight the words will come to you 

deal or no deal .

• Like 11

Guest theokoles

Nothing ventured nothing gained. Matt Damon said in Rounders "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, but you can't win either". lol

A short one for the dads/mum's/parents on site this morning.

That really touched a chord with me this morning and i know I will be waking the baby with a smile today X

• Like 4