Ok so at the risk of seeming a wishy washy hippy psychonaught ...

I've recently taken an interest in motivational type videos on the tube, now

I realize there is a massive money making industry and alot of bullshit peddled in the name of self improvement, so much of the stuff can be taken with a liberal dose of your preferred electrolyte..

But pessimism aside, a common theme among some very successful people (not just motivational speakers but across the board) is that we all have the ability to influence the physical world or at least our own version of it with the power of our mind.  Now that's a very simplistic way of explaining the type of phenomena I'm referring too.  But there's a certain about of good science mixed in with the pseudoscience, and parts of it resonate quite strongly with me (resonate is actually a very apt word as alot of this is too do with vibration, specifically the vibrations we emit and the ones we attract on account of those)

I realize that I may well be kidding myself that there's truth in it on account of my own life experiences and I maybe making links/connections where there really aren't any.

Anyways I thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss and was hoping to get people's opinions if your happy to share!

Many thanks!

Dodge

• Like 22

Alan Watts and Terence McKenna are the two original motivational speakers 

Listen to what they say and there’s a lifetime of searching and learning trying to fathom it all out

Theres a thousand people jumped on the band wagon these days with the do this and change your life shite

I believe in the Buddhism thing where your thoughts influence your life, if you’re a negative person then negative things happen I have seen it first hand with a few people 

Just ride the mega fractal wave that is existence lol 

The odd acid trip helps too lol 

• Like 28

5 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

I realize that I may well be kidding myself that there's truth in it on account of my own life experiences and I maybe making links/connections where there really aren't any.

Everybody kids themselves mate,That is half the secret to it, Fake it to you make it , Who are you listening to?

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

is that we all have the ability to influence the physical world or at least our own version of it with the power of our mind. 

Is this not just a different way of saying make decisions, take action?

Also agree with @Jimboo fake it, till you make it. Imposter syndrome is a very real thing experienced by the best of humanity and something you have to actively work against.

Edited by Cambium
  • Like 3

@Jimboo

Spot on mate. Jim Carrey states in an interview how he wrote himself a check for 10 millions dollars for services rendered and carried it in his pocket for years till he got his big break....

I've been listening to loads, Simon sinek I like, also jack ma, there's a monk whose name I forget dandapani(?), Jim Kwik is great, recently Jordan Peterson...

The list goes on...

I think @Davey Jones makes a good point about the bandwagon thing, there is a huge industry in self improvement and I've always been a massive pessimist till now.

I just think it's interesting is all.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

@Jimboo

Spot on mate. Jim Carrey states in an interview how he wrote himself a check for 10 millions dollars for services rendered and carried it in his pocket for years till he got his big break....

I've been listening to loads, Simon sinek I like, also jack ma, there's a monk whose name I forget dandapani(?), Jim Kwik is great, recently Jordan Peterson...

The list goes on...

Take whatever works for you from these people, And don't worry about what other people think about the subject. :yes:

• Like 5

@Cambium

Good point about decision/action.   There's a lady called Mel Tomas (I think*) anyways she's big on the whole think/decide/act concept.

I think she wrote a whole book on it something like 5,4,3,2,1 success.

The idea being when faced with what you know is a difficult thing to do don't sit there pondering it or procrastinate, just 54321 go...

Again, there's science behind it and to many people it maybe common sense but I personally know I'm often guilty of talking a job to death when I could a just got up n done it..  

is it worth writing a book over? Dunno lol

• Like 1

Glad I started the thread now even if I do have to go and Google imposter syndrome and Kruger wossit syndrome lol

I only pondered doing it about a week too! lol

Keep the opinions coming folks

I'll be back

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Davey Jones said:

Imposter syndrome only affects people who are good

Unfortunately Dunning Kruger syndrome is much more prevalent IME

There's a lot of good folk about man. I've found my perception is always skewed regarding this. Its very easy, when confronted with stupid shit to allow that to override any good that you do see or experience. Good folk are usually benign and it's easy for them to fall under your radar, whereas a knowitall cunt stands out a mile.

Now if you want to talk about how positions of influence and power attract socio/psychopaths then I think we're onto something. But generally, the world is populated with reasonable people who continually question if they are doing life right.

Edited by Cambium
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, Davey Jones said:

Unfortunately Dunning Kruger syndrome is much more prevalent

I had to look this up.

It seems to be getting a new name... "The Donald Trump effect" laughed so much I spilt my drink. Never knew there was a name for this.

• Like 8

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

There it is in quote form @Hugh Jass

I completely agree with Cambian about the good people in the world, there’s loads of good people in my life and as the years go by the numbers go up 

IME though it’s rare to come across someone brilliant that doesn’t know they are brilliant and had the imposter syndrome thing it’s something I know about first hand it’s not nice 

The amount of people in the professional world that suffer from Dunning Kruger is astounding people who haven’t got a clue what they are doing but they think they are amazing and the trail of destruction behind them is all someone else’s fault 

I do like a bit of amateur psychology it’s a really powerful thing

• Like 10