badbillybob

What a beautiful set up and this is going to make a perfect home for our purple Moby dick and The super lemon haze companions  ;)

So glad that first experience has not deterred you and by the look of things your coming back stronger than ever. 

With the equipment being used you can guarantee this is going to be one hell of a ride and a diary I'll most definitely be watching with interest  ;)

Good luck with your 2nd attempt with our purple Moby dick, your going to do great!

Until next time  :bong:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 3

Thanks mark. Today I eventually got round to hosing up the chiller for the rdwc. 

Ithought I had suitable hose, but my garden hose was too small, its that long since I had a chiller I forgot they used 19mm ID hose. Oh well, on to ebay and more hose ordered. 

Found a 90 bend to go from the pump to the chiller and connected it all up, set it to 17 degrees, which it holds with minimum work. I did this because it was reading out by a degree or so, against my laser thermometer, so I went lower, and lower temps mean more DO, to an extent.

large.5b9161d089e0a_a8-Copy.jpglarge.5b9161cb6e57a_a7-Copy.jpg

couple of roots shots, first up the Mobys, which I had to raise the water level on, as the net pots are so deep. 

that's why they are coming out about an inch from the base. The other bubbler one is from one of the reasonable SLH's. You can see the difference eh?

large.5b9161c71f172_a6-Copy.jpglarge.5b9161c087b06_a5-Copy.jpg

next up some moby pics, as you can see they have recovered well from topping and will be getting it again in about a week. I will top the side shoots too, if they are developed enough.

Temps and RH in pic 1, water temps in pic 2 , all in the sweet zone

large_pm2.jpglarge_pm1.jpglarge_pm3.jpglarge_pm4.jpg

These mobys are staying squat, which is fine by me, because im gonna be binning a couple of the lemon hazes. 

Ive put in to soak a couple of critical XXL feminised seeds from Zambesa. they were at the top of the seed box. I will see how they do, but they will be about 3 weeks behind these so I don't expect them to get XXL.

On to the dissasterous super lemon runts, these are getting binned

large_sl2.jpglarge_sl1.jpg

Pretty grim aint they?

And finally a pic of the groom overall. check the difference between the 2 breeders, night and day. 

large.5b9165add5300_a3-Copy.jpglarge.5b9165b3a5582_a4-Copy.jpglarge.5b9165a7bba6d_a2-Copy.jpg

Dinafem for the win.

• Like 10

large.mobw23.jpg.bc486de16fb3cb618991143

just to add a wee tip about your variacs if the 270w dials do your nut in  :bangin:

you can get 240w stick on dials on the bay or if you've got a red permanent marker then you start from 0 & count up every 27 increments for every 10% of power,

makes it easier to see what the fans are set too instead of working the difference out (especially when your stoned lol)

• Like 6

yeah, good idea,  but it doesn't quite work like that does it?

Varying the Voltage across resistive loads such as fans or heaters changes the power by the square of the ratios.

So, dropping the Volts to 120 instead of 240 produces 0.52 = 0.25 times the power.

50% power occurs at about 71% of full Voltage, which for the UK's 240 Volt supply is 170 Volts.

but putting 50% at 71% of the dial (if it was a 240v dial)  would just confuse things even more.

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 4

mmmm not so super lemons....looking really sour......tough decisions ahead bro

The others are flying tho and will be trees :yep:

• Like 1

2 of the super lemons are heading for the compost heap, to be replaced by a couple of critical  XXLs ive just cracked, from Zambesa seeds.

ive never tried any of the breeders seeds but a mate grew one of their skunk XXLs and it got large.

Seeing as they are 3 weeks behind everything else I doubt these will get the chance to get XXL, but I live in hope, and I might scrog the remaining lemons to give these a chance to catch up. 

Who knows, we will see how it goes mate.

In the meantime the mobys are growing at a fair old rate, I reckon I will be topping them again at the start of next week. Im gonna top the main stem And any side shoots if they are big enough. I want to go to town on these, and get big fat bushes. 

Kinda wish I had spaced the RDWC buckets further apart now, but im sure we can work with what ive got, 

Im also wishing I  just made one big RDWC system, but the bubblers give a bit of flexibility if they get large, I can move them about easier.

oh and im gonna eat my words about rhino pro filters. After me defending their good name it turns out I was wrong. Its leaking smell-  I caught a whiff of weed outside the groom when I was drying my outdoor plants. Both filters are brand new. I Checked the ducting and fan filter connections, which were fine. (I tape the duct to the fan then add a duct clip to be sure to be sure) so it looks like more expense on a mountain air or a carbo air filter. 

I hope the addition of the air cooled hoods will significantly reduce the temps, which  means I can switch off the 2nd  fan  / filter that's currently running at 50%, cos I cant afford to replace 2 of the fukn things. This is all I need right now......

thanks for popping in Ken, good to see you back. 

• Like 5

mate, if you cant send the filters back then you should drill out the top rivets & have a look inside the filter to check if they're under filling it,

if they are, get onto rhino with pics & see what they have to say.

• Like 2

Yeah man, ive got a plan. 

im gonnae get the aircooled hoods set up, then take the smelly  filter down and check it out. Like you say drill out the rivets and see if its filled to the top. 

if the temps stay ok for just the one filter, I can work on the other one.

I can buy activated carbon to top it up, which might save me 200 buck buying a new one, I hope

• Like 5

On 08/09/2018 at 1:36 AM, Joint hogger said:

mate, if you cant send the filters back then you should drill out the top rivets & have a look inside the filter to check if they're under filling it,

if they are, get onto rhino with pics & see what they have to say.

Excellent suggestion and thank you for adding pictures of the process  :yep:

On 06/09/2018 at 6:39 PM, badbillybob said:

Today I eventually got round to hosing up the chiller for the rdwc. 

The chiller is going to make a massive difference brother and great to see that it's now hooked up. Typical that the correct parts were not on hand, good old thebay to the rescue lol

Looking good buddy  ;)

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 3

@Joint hogger Can I ask, and in no way do I mean or intend to put another company down, but is this something Rhino are known for?

All the best

Mark. 

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 2

there's been reports over the last 18 months about rhino's quality control slipping & there's been a lot of reports about the filters failing prematurely.

I haven't experienced it myself but the last rhino filter i bought was at the start of last year & I've used various sizes over the years.

• Like 4

I've also had no issues with Rhino, current one is around 2 years old with a brand new one waiting in the wings,

been using them ever since I started growing a very long time ago, ( when I was a sweet young thing.......:wassnnme:  lol)

I guess it's possible some of the complaints could be from people who have damaged or abused their filter,

high humidity and smoke can make them less efficient, more likely is mis-matched fan and filter, especially if no controller is used

:oldtoker:

• Like 3

mine has been run off the controller since day 1. They have never run flat out. I have had no humidity issues.

They are both 3 weeks old, and there is smell leakage coming from both of them. 

Ive had quite a few rhino pros over the years, probably a dozen or more. I couldn't see past them and recommended them to people too.  

I also jumped to their defence recently, when it was mentioned in another post that they leaked smell, saying no no they are great filters

I never had any issues at all with them before this.

When I get the hoods installed I will take one down and check it over very carefully.

I will also check the 6 inches of duct that are inside the room for pinholes etc.

The fan should be ok, as its  taped with duct tape at both ends, and the central joint between both halves and have a jubilee clip at each end too.

I suspect profits have taken over from quality.  But time will tell. I will let you know.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, badbillybob said:

I also jumped to their defence recently, when it was mentioned in another post that they leaked smell, saying no no they are great filters

I never had any issues at all with them before this

This was the main reason I asked mate as I have seen other complaints about this brand which is very unusual as Rhino filters have always been known as a solid brand.

Could these be fake filters hitting the market? Personally I would reach out to the people at Rhino to see what they say :yep:

As said others are complaining of the same issue so I do think a e-mail to the company could help ;)

@badbillybob Let us know what you find buddy  :yep:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 4