Dinafem Gorilla Grow

unity

Cheers @AKPOG, I had also thought there was quite a bit of inter-nodal stretch, more than I usually see under the Mh light at least, hopefully these girl will be kinky lil bitches and get kicks from being tied down while they get put to work...:censored:

Do you agree with my thoughts of being about a week away?  I always end up going too far with veg and going taller than I'd like.

• Like 2

My pleasure @unity :haveadab:

Personally, if you have plenty of room in your flowering space I wouldn't live it much more than a week, unless you have the height?. I don't have that time luxury, so mine have another 2 weeks vegging under my BrightWing, which I hope is the max, as I prefer to flower once trained & no more than 15inches tall.

I've a chair pulled up, so put the kettle on mate :yinyang:

• Like 3

my space I'm filling is a standard tent of 2.4 x 1.2 x 2.0, so I do have a little height, but I like to keep my plants well below the hps to regulate heat issues, moreso in the upcoming months.  As far as my thoughts on veg timing, I'm trying to aim for a solution where I can flower all that is in there at the same time, but 3 were cuttings, and the 6 cheese seeds are a week behind the Gorilla's.  At present I'm thinking I'll look to put them into flower over next weekend, so I may start to drop the light hours off during this week, see if maybe introducing the 12 hours of dark over a week helps the transition.

Now I'm thinking how I should swap the Mh over to the hps, usually I just pop in the hps on day1 and leave it there til the end, with a blue cfl hanging to the side to compliment the spectrum.  I was thinking maybe I should start off by adding a red cfl to the mh for the first few weeks until stretch has completed, then swap over to the hps with a blue cfl?  Does that make any sense?

• Like 3

On 03/06/2018 at 5:15 PM, unity said:

As above mate, could you shed any light on the potential stretch of these?

From what I'm seeing and info from our breeding team the stretch should not be to drastic and easily manageable  :bong:

I've witnessed around 5 grows with this strain and from what I've seen you are going to face around a 1.5x stretch. So if you flip at 50cm. The plants without training will finish at around 115-125cm or 1.15m-1.25m in height (remember this is with out bending, training or cropping)

Yours have stretched a bit more in the veg phase than I'm used to seeing so this is going to be a interesting flower show to say the least ;)

I'm confident you handle this with no problem what so ever mate :bong:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 1

On 04/06/2018 at 10:34 AM, unity said:

I was thinking maybe I should start off by adding a red cfl to the mh for the first few weeks until stretch has completed, then swap over to the hps with a blue cfl?  Does that make any sense?

In theory it makes perfect sense mate and should work out perfect  :bong:

Reducing the light on hours in the run up to flower is also a very positive move and will help transition the plants into bloom with minimal stress  ;)

I'll be watching this transition with interest and nice to see you trying different techs in your garden. This is how we learn and evolve  :yep:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

From what I'm seeing and info from our breeding team the stretch should not be to drastic and easily manageable  :bong:

I've witnessed around 5 grows with this strain and from what I've seen you are going to face around a 1.5x stretch. So if you flip at 50cm. The plants without training will finish at around 115-125cm or 1.15m-1.25m in height (remember this is with out bending, training or cropping)

Yours have stretched a bit more in the veg phase than I'm used to seeing so this is going to be a interesting flower show to say the least ;)

I'm confident you handle this with no problem what so ever mate :bong:

All the best 

Mark..

@Dinafem-Mark cheers mate, anything under x2 would be ideal, it should leave me a decent headspace under my light to allow for some heat reduction.  Agree I've had a little more stretch than usual, but I think i also maybe swapped out the T5 for the Mh a bit sooner than I would usually do, resulting in the light being higher, earlier. This I had to do as I am vegging more plants than I usually do, my T5 just wouldn't cover the space.  Lesson learned, I need a bigger T5.  Looking forward to seeing some personalities from these soon, think we have at least two differences in pheno's so far, with #5 looking quite nice :skin_up:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

In theory it makes perfect sense mate and should work out perfect  :bong:

Reducing the light on hours in the run up to flower is also a very positive move and will help transition the plants into bloom with minimal stress  ;)

I'll be watching this transition with interest and nice to see you trying different techs in your garden. This is how we learn and evolve  :yep:

All the best 

Mark..

Cheers again :)  I'm always up for trying anything that can help in the garden, think I'll stop learning the day I stop breathing :)

Once i get my veg area back (is flowering atm), I'm going to set it up using the glr method we chatted about a lil while back, I've just been waiting for the right time to make the hourly change, now I'll have it :)

• Like 2

You'll be fine mate. I'm very confident you will not face a 2x stretch more 1.5-1.75 maximum  :yep:

It's going to be interesting that for sure and your going to love the end product  :yep:

Pure dynamite  :bong:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 1

Hi all,

Here's my update from the week past.

Since last week I started knocking the timer back by around an hour a day to bring them into the 12/12 period.  I had intended to supplement my MH with a red cfl, but I only have blue cfl's, and don't get paid til month end :(  One for next time round.  Over the course of the week I've potted them up into there final containers.  Two have gone into air pots, the other two are in standard square pots.  apologies but I don't know the volume, I just have small-med-large that I pot up through :)

Here are the ladies, starting to see some more definition now. 

I'll start with the biggest change I've noticed....g5 is actually a sativa, or sat dom...check out the leaf structure below:

large.5b214bc56db55_week0g5.JPG

A closer look at the nodes on g5:

large.5b214bc40ee1d_week0g5nodes.JPG

This is g4, taken after transplant, she needed a little feed.

large.5b214bc23f116_week0g4.JPG

G3 is looking a little limp, but is drinking well.  Will keep eye on these.

large.5b214bc04ea0c_week0g3.JPG

G2 taken after transplant up.

large.5b214bbe8ef86_week0g2.JPG

G1 also looking nice, looks like much more of an indica.

large.5b214bbc6fa6d_week0g1.JPG

A closer shot of some nodes on g1

large.5b214bbaa9f08_week0g1nodes.JPG

It occurred to me there's been a serious lack of root pr0n in this diary...so let's make  up for that :) 

This is g5 before potting up to the air pot:

large.5b214bb925ca1_rootsg5.JPG

This is g4 before potting up to the final

large.5b214bd672997_rootsg4.JPG

This is g3..mmmlarge.5b214bb75bfb4_rootsg3.JPG

Close up of g3 root, bottom left of previous photolarge.5b214bb5a0919_rootsg3close.JPG

Just one more of g3... :) large.5b214bb455c65_rootsg302.JPG

G1's roots prior to transfer to final potlarge.5b214bb2aee66_rootsg1.JPG

That brings us up to date, now at day 2 of flower.  I'm still going to leave them under the Mh for at least another week, then I'll plan to swap out to the 600hps.  Tho, if they start to stretch and I need to fill across the tent, I'll need a second light anyway...so we'll see how they go.

In so-typical timing on day of flower yesterday the timer on my contactor broke, so I'm now doing manual 12/12 switches each day. Gotta see if i can get something budget that will suffice til month end, not looking forward to getting up over the weekend to flick a switch...

Thanks for viewing / opinions all :bong:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, unity said:

In so-typical timing on day of flower yesterday the timer on my contactor broke, so I'm now doing manual 12/12 switches each day. Gotta see if i can get something budget

That's typical brother and just as you are moving into bloom :(

Equipment failure is never good and always advisable to have back ups for such cases like this :yep:

That said money can be tight. I know this to well. My best advice for this would be to get a digital timer from Argos or the like. This will not have the contactor protection but I've used digital timer,s for 600w hps with no issue. I've tried the segmental timers and they just blow even though they are gauged to hold 1800-2400w mine always pop.

Now onto the gorilla :bong:

Very explosive roots mate and perfect timing for the pot up ;)

Do you want me to look for a digital timer mate I may have one in my spare box? Drop a pm if needed  :bong:

Looking really good as we enter bloom :yep:

Thanks for the update mate I'll drop back in on the next :headbang:

All the best 

Mark..

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 1

@Dinafem-Mark cheers bro, very much appreciated for the offer:) I think I need to replace the contactor tho, as I expect I'll be filling over the second half of the tent by the end of stretch (there's 12 plants there in total), so I'd be pulling 2 x 600, + the cfl.  I'd think 1200W+ is a bit much to trip straight onto from a standard timer?

• Like 2

On 13/06/2018 at 8:32 PM, unity said:

I'd think 1200W+ is a bit much to trip straight onto from a standard timer?

Mine do say max load 2400w but anything over 1 x 600w a contactor would be advisable  :yep:

As they come in a triple pack for £15 you could use 1 timer per ballast/light but I would still opt for the contactor option when funds permit :headbang:

All the best 

Mark..

I ended up getting a relay with separate heavy duty timer to replace the contactor, does same job but was just in budget for the month.  No more getting up every day over weekend :)

Update on the ladies, they are now 1 week into flower, so I won't be hauling them out of tent for their weekly mugshot now, they'll get snapped in situ.  Hopefully the photo's should be good enough to distinguish them apart.

I ran out of space sooner than I expected, so I've had to move them across to one side of the tent, the other side is mostly full of cheese now :)

Here they are today, 8 days into flower.  Apologies for odd shapen photo's this is what happens when I'm stoned & resize stuff :skin_up:

Feed this week will be as follows:

1ml/L sumo grow

1m/L sumo grow

.5ml/L silica

1m/L regenaroot

2m/L terpinator

G1 is the most heavy indica here, looking nice and stocky :) 

large.5b2963e498fbd_Week1g1.jpg

I think G2 is a reasonable cross:

large.5b2963dc94eff_Week1g2.jpg

G3:

large.5b2963e1bc6f1_Week1g3.jpg

G4 topped quite nicely:

large.5b2963e3112dd_Week1g4.jpg

G5 is covering most of this photo, def a high sativa cross hence the net:

large.5b2963e0475cd_Week1g5.jpg

Thanks for watching, til the next :haveadab:

• Like 3

Nice going my friend! :bong:

They look like their gaining a bit more legs than mine, although mine are starting the stretch now & about 4 days behind since flipping to 12/12, so I have no doubt they'll catch up. 

You're also doing a scrog by the looks of things, whereas I just bondage tie my girls to their pots :naughty:, as I like the freedom of moving them around the tent space. 

I'll be doing my next update shortly after day 7 if you're interested, which will be Thursday or Friday evening. :yep:

I'm parked up & waiting for your next update with eagerness. :skin_up:

The fun really does start now for us both. May our crops be bountiful of beautiful tight nugs that blow our minds :smokin:

• Like 2

It's mostly how I do, maybe not quite as tight a net as a scrog tho, it's more a support feature for those that need.  Those nets are quite thick elastic so are easy to move around, only cost about £8 a pop from the local.  I do prefer to keep them smaller so I can move them easier, but thanks to the stretchyness of #5 that's prob not going to be an option.  Might move #5 right to the back, then let it stretch across so I can work the others around the front.  Will decide more in a weeks time once they've settled.

And aye, I'm subbed to your grow already bro, ha've been watching out for your updates :)

Edited by unity
  • Like 2