@jadenugs yes mate, i was getting a bit disappointed when loads of stuff started rotting after the suit weather we had in Sept but it's turned out pretty good! Shame there's not more P1  buds, they're dense and fruity :)

can't beat homemade beans round here mate ;)

• Like 5

On 17/11/2018 at 9:40 AM, beezee said:

can't beat homemade beans round here mate ;)

Sounds good mate, if by any chance you're trying to push some of those beans on me to try out up here next season I might be interested :wassnnme:  lol

Congrats on your growing and cooking dude, nice work :yep:

• Like 4

26 quid off the bay, random size blocks so you might get 5 or 6 to make up the weight to make 350L ;) 5 or 6kg per block. Free delivery too :yep:

• Like 3

Yeah that's a lot cheaper. I didn't want to wait for them to bring their spring stock to the shelves so thought I'd get it in early ;) Saying that, I can't really prep plot 1 until spring when there's some surrounding greenery for cover. I can get some coco to plot 2 though :)

• Like 3

It is a bit hit'n'miss if they get the coir in early enough. I have a lot at the plot that needs it already so I might just chuck some clay breaker down with loads of fbb. That might be enough to get everything going??? 

• Like 3

I've put some gypsum down already, but I won't use any more. I've got a product called "clay breaker" which is mostly gypsum I think... Not really sure what I'm doing yet lol no more lime that's for sure, maybe if I can turn the clay breaker in soonish it might be OK??? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, beezee said:

maybe if I can turn the clay breaker in soonish it might be OK??? 

If you do it now mate and the ph rises too much it will probably settle by plant out with the acid in the rain. Depends how high the ph is. Maybe add some organic material, peat moss, manure to acidify it?

• Like 3

That was sort of my thinking, although clay breaker/gypsum shouldn't alter pH. 

If I can get there soonish, I'll grab a couple of soil samples to test at home. 

To lower pH is probably use sulphates of potash and phosphate, I'm sure there's another that's really good for lowing pH too can't remember what it is now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beezee said:

although clay breaker/gypsum shouldn't alter pH.

I was thinking gypsum would alter the ph, with it containing calcium.

Just found this and it's cleared it up for me......." However, some believe that gypsum increases the pH of growing media as well.  Why? Gypsum is calcium sulfate and it is assumed that calcium causes the pH of growing media to rise. Like gypsum, limestone contains calcium in the form of calcium carbonate.  However, it is not calcium that increases the pH of growing media, but rather carbonate, by neutralizing acid (hydrogen ions). "

1 hour ago, beezee said:

I'm sure there's another that's really good for lowing pH too can't remember what it is now. 

You weren't thinking of elemental sulphur, aluminium sulphate or iron sulphate were you? Just found info on this if you want me to send you a link? There's a table of how much granular sulphur (elemental sulphur I think) to add depending on what your ph and soil type is ;)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, jadenugs said:

I was thinking gypsum would alter the ph, with it containing calcium.

Just found this and it's cleared it up for me......." However, some believe that gypsum increases the pH of growing media as well.  Why? Gypsum is calcium sulfate and it is assumed that calcium causes the pH of growing media to rise. Like gypsum, limestone contains calcium in the form of calcium carbonate.  However, it is not calcium that increases the pH of growing media, but rather carbonate, by neutralizing acid (hydrogen ions). "

I knew I'd read that it didn't alter pH, cheers for confirming!

11 minutes ago, jadenugs said:

iron sulphate

Yeah this one and I think the other might've been ammonia sulphate, but I'm not 100%

12 minutes ago, jadenugs said:

Just found info on this if you want me to send you a link? There's a table of how much granular sulphur (elemental sulphur I think) to add depending on what your ph and soil type is

Yes please, any extra info is valuable, thanks again :)

• Like 4