Critical Jack

Green demon

large.IMG_269.jpgHaving messed up my latest run of autos I found myself with not much to do and no cash so I thought I'd have a go at the free seeds I'd collected. Humbolt Amherst Sour Desiel X2 fem. Heavyweight Cheese fem. Greenhouse Exodus Cheese X 2 fem. Dinafem Critical Jack X 2. Nicole Kush X Moroccan regs.

Sour D, 1 seed did nothing, the other produced a seedling without a taproot and a malformed set of leaves, she got terminated.

Heavyweight no go.

NK X M still in paper towel.

All Critical Jack and Exodus Cheese popped and spouted tap roots within 24-48hrs. Here is a photo of my seedling propagator.

Coffee machine as a heat mat and using the pot the seeds came in stuffed with kitchen towel.

• Like 6

Group shot. 

large.IMG_271.jpg

Critical Jack closeup. Nice tiger like pattern on them.

large_4cj.JPG

Exodus Cheese. Boring to look at hopefully not an indicator of thing to come.

large_3x.JPG

• Like 6

Firstly thank you for documenting your grow on uk420 and welcome to the Dinafem sub-forum :yep:

Secondly nice selection of genetics :) I see you like your cheese based ladies :yep:

You look yo be off to a good start and now potted up we should see some vigorous growth in the coming weeks :)

I'll be along for the ride and watching with interest ;)

Thank you again for documenting your grow and thank you for the added pictures very much appreciated!

Until the next update :bong:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 2

Hey Mark thanks for the warm welcome. After years of reading other peoples grows I figured it was time to give back. I know how much I've learnt from following people along on their journey. 

I didn't pick these seeds as they were a free gift from Herbies, so thanks to them. That said you are right, I'm a total cheese head, and although Greenhouse are slated by all I have seen good reviews of this one strain. I have the Exodus cut on my doorstep so it will be interesting to see how these compare.

As for the Critical Jack I'm very happy to have these girls. I've read some excellent grow diaries on here with this very strain so I'm hoping I can do her justice.

I had some Jack Herer back in the day that I'll never forget, the smoke was so outstanding. I grew a Sweet Seeds Black Jack and that too was outstanding and had a similar flavour. Like I said, excited to see how these two CJs do.

With the collapse of my Big Bang Auto see here

I've decided to give her the tent to herself and drop the lighting down to 10hrs to encourage her to finish the f£&@ up. 

The seedlings will benefit from this because until now they have been in my big tent with the 600w, quite a distance away from the light and stretching a bit more than I would like. Now I've set up the DR60 with a 250w MH and a 4"RVK for extraction with passive intake. 

So far temps are 25, but I'll continue to monitor. I've noticed the seedling are starting to lose their colour a little bit so tomorrow I'll start feeding them at a low strength. Here they are in their new home.

large.IMG_1096.JPG

large.IMG_1095.JPG

Now I've got a veg tent set up I'll be using the Gas Latern Lighting Routine. 12hrs on. 5.5hrs off. 1hr on. 5.5hrs off. Basic principle (read very, very basic, with the possible use of incorrect words, but you'll get the idea, I hope, forgive me I'm dyslexic)

Basic principle being that during the night cycle plants increase their hormone levels. After 12hrs dark the hormone levels reach critical and this triggers the plant to flower. This is why most people use 12/12 to flower. 12hrs being the minimum amount of dark and maximum amount of light.

With GLR 1hr of light is used in the middle of the dark period and this acts as a reset switch for the hormones, dropping them back to zero and keeping the plant in veg. The name comes from the Victorians who used to hang Gas Lanterns in their greenhouses at night to perform the same trick.

People as standard use 16/8, 18/6, 20/4, and 24hr as vegetative lighting regimes. This is under the assumption that more exposure to light the better, and the regimes with increased dark are for those conscious of electricity consumption.

Now I'm not saying this is wrong, but there is another point of view. One that suggests no where on Earth do plants receive the intense light cycles we use indoors, and it could in fact be detrimental. The dark period is where the magic happens. During the light cycle the plant uses photosynthesis to transform energy. At night unburdened by this task the plant is free to put all its energy into growth. 

This point of view sees the impotance of using high quality light, but only for long enough to prevent flowering and thus allowing the plants to spend a maximum amount of time in the dark, instead of the normal minimum. This is why plants perform so well on GLR. 

Now I have no science to back this up even if it does exist I'm not interested. Scientific facts are what got us into this mess in the first place. I'm more interested in first hand experience. This is how my mates at my local hydro shop explained it all. 

They'd all been 18/6ers and 24hrs for life but some one they respected offered them an alternate point of view, that one written above, and they all experimented with GLR. That was years ago and they never went back. 

large.IMG_1094.JPG

Edited by Green demon
Typo
  • Like 5

So far you are doing a great job mate :) now you have a dedicated veg tent with the added mh lighting the stretch should now start to slow down and once they put roots down we will see much more vigorous growth :yep:

Now onto the GLR or the Gas Lantern Tech. This is something my dad did back in the mid 80,s when he started indoor growing after a stay in Holland. I can say with certainty that this technique works but we did notice that the vegative growth was reduced by roughly 25%. From what I recall the lighting was set like this

Lights on 12am

Lights off 12pm

Lights on 5.30pm

Lights off 6.30pm

Giving 1 full hour of light during the dark cycle. It works and works well mate :)

The old man did some writing like myself and was published using this technique. Let me see if I can find it as I think you will find it a good read :yep:

As said things so far look good and Yes will be good to see how Greenhouse seeds cheese compares to the true exodus cut :)

Love when old techniques get revisited so I'll be watching this with interest :)

Thank you for the added pictures very much appreciated and keep up the great work! 

Until the next one :bong:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 2

Thanks for your praise and input @Dinafem-Mark really appreciate it! This is what I love about posting online and getting feedback from experienced growers. 

There's so much myth and bullshit surrounding our seedy lol hobby thanks to the prohibition, it's only spoken about in hushed whispers, inside dark smokey rooms, as tales of myth and bullshit unwind. It's hard to separate fact from fiction.

As far as GLR goes I've done three or four runs with it. Using it on plants from seed and cuttings, and I've only ever seen explosive growth. My mate had a mother under 24hr looking stressed as hell, and barely growing in a couple of weeks. He switched to GLR and it soon recovered and took off. I think this was a good example of too much light, but of course with soo many variables it's hard to know.

I haven't been in the position to test it, by running clones side by side under different schedules to see how growth is effected. It sounds like you and you old man have?! I'll be excited to read that link mate. When you say 25% less, is that as opposed to 18/6 or 24hr? Either way for now they'll stay on GLR. Maybe your link will change my mind lol

No worries on the pics, hell of a boring diary if it were just me rambling :wanker:

• Like 2

Hi mate :) the 25% less vegative growth was compared to running 18/6 lighting. One interesting thing my dad said was they were less vigorous in the veg stage using GLR but curiously they showed more vigour when entering the bloom cycle and showed sex a lot faster :yep:

Will be watching your grow with great interest mate and will put in input where I can :)

Let me see what I can  do to find the magazine link :yep:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 4

Thanks again for the article @Dinafem-Mark. I think to summarise from it. Although plants grow slower with GLR vs 18/6 they grow healthier, are less stressed, and when they get flipped into flowering they are like sex starved nymphomanics that can't wait to get started. 

The article also mentions Diminishing Light schedule for flower. 12/12 for two weeks then lose half hour of light every week. I forgot to mention I will be using this regime once they get going.

Started to feed today. 0.9 EC, pH 5.6

The two criticals followed by the Xos.

large.IMG_0406.JPGlarge.IMG_0404.JPGlarge.IMG_0408.JPGlarge.IMG_0407.JPG

large.IMG_412.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Green demon said:

Thanks again for the article @Dinafem-Mark. I think to summarise from it. Although plants grow slower with GLR vs 18/6 they grow healthier, are less stressed, and when they get flipped into flowering they are like sex starved nymphomanics that can't wait to get started. 

The article also mentions Diminishing Light schedule for flower. 12/12 for two weeks then lose half hour of light every week. I forgot to mention I will be using this regime once they get going.

Started to feed today. 0.9 EC, pH 5.6

The two criticals followed by the Xos.

large.IMG_0406.JPGlarge.IMG_0404.JPGlarge.IMG_0408.JPGlarge.IMG_0407.JPG

large.IMG_412.jpg

Bro what is the max high temperature you keep your plants ? 

Do the high temperature slow plants growing ? My grow room sometimes go bit more than 30° / 31° Celsius ! 

• Like 1