Kiminals Sweet Seeds Competition Diary Part 1

assault and battery

@@Kiminal nice start to you diary Kim and will be interested in the XXL I've not tried an XXL strain from Sweet Seeds as yet so will be along for the ride :) Doing the Blow Mind too for this comp as I liked the parentage but primarily the name lol

Best of luck for the grows and the comp :)

• Like 3

@@Fragg

I'm excited by all three strains, I've only heard good things about Sweet Seeds so I'm hoping theyre going to make my life a little easier and practically grow themselves... We'll see.

I also picked blow mind as her name stood out, and the smoke reports confirmed she's probably the kind of girl I'd like. Dark Devil was chosen purely for her beauty and the cream mandarine name just made me want to eat some kind of fruit tart, and who doesn't love a tart? Probably not the most scientific way to choose the strains but the marketing clearly works on me...

• Like 5

@@Kiminal think you will find they do exactly that Kim I grew a Red Poison from Sweet Seeds that totally grew itself and got me a 2nd place in COTC :) The Dark Devil also from the Red family, looks amazing too and for sure the Red Poison was the most beautiful bud I've ever grown so don't think you will be disappointed:)

ATB Kim :)

• Like 4

@@GreenVision

No, I've gone all out for 3 different strains, all auto's, blow mind and dark devil for part two, all 6 will go in together for part two but most likely in my tent, under an Apollo 12 LED, but that's not set in stone yet... Its taken a while but the cupboards just started to find its level - it's just too small but later on I'd like to use it purely for flowering large sativa strains when needed. But that's a way off lol

Blow mind is one I hope to try in the future. Will be interesting to see it come together.

Again mate, best of luck.

• Like 4

So a quick check on the seeds, all three have got tails, theyve all turned and moved their little sponge hats off the top of the cubes so I can see what's going on. Humidity had dropped to 56 in the night so I've lightly sprayed the sponges from afar with a <half dose of nitrozyme.

And put them back to bed.

Hoping to have little heads to take pictures of this evening.

ETA.

I'm going pot shopping today and I've come to the realisation I will need bigger pots than my 7 litre so still undecided on how big to go, 11l or being big girls maybe higher, I can't decide by looking online so I'm venturing into a hydro shop to have a look in person before I commit.

Edited by Kiminal
  • Like 5

I can tell you bigger is better - up to a point.

Go for the root pouches.

If you are tight on room, get the 12l pouches, otherwise get the 30l pouches. Obs you will need more soil/mix, etc if you go the big route.

I got 48oz off 8 x 30l pouches and my 12l are not looking so bountiful.

So, work out what size you can give them and then go for the pot size that way.

Just my 2p. Others will think differently!

Good luck with whatever you do. atb.

• Like 3

@@KayDog

I've been looking at root pouches but what puts me off Is they seem squat, and I think I once read that autos like a deep pot, I looked at rose pots as theyre tall but sadly round. I've also looked at airports, but watering looks a messy affair. I think it normal autods like an 11 then the xl might like a 15. I'm not worried about height but spread might be a challenge.

I feel like I'm possibly over thinking all this lol

Floor space is .8m2

Edited by Kiminal
  • Like 3

Go with your gut instinct.

You've got to feel confident in the equipment you're using. I always hated growing with stuff I didn't like.

• Like 3

ok, well, theres no going back now, I've had triplets...

the middle lady came up yesterday evening but tonight her sisters are through too.

I really need to go get those pots.

apologies on my picture quality through out this diary. I keep looking at what a good job everyone else is doing and think i need to up my game a bit!

• Like 8

Well, I've been lying to everyone, I went to the hydro shop and checked out some pots. Apparently I've been growing in 11litre pots, not 7, so I bought the 18litre pots. Three of them looking quite snug in the groom.... Let's hope I didn't make a bad decision! There's still plenty of time for me to shock the shit out of them. It wouldn't be the first time!
Pics to follow shortly.

The grow Room cupboard thing,.

.8m2 floor space. 210cm height.

fully lined in a patchwork of recycled orca from a previous grow space - waste not and all that... stuck up with double sided carpet tape.

Black Orchid 8" hybrid flo fan with 8" rhino hobby filter

connected to a 5"cool tube and venting out of the top fascia of the cupboard into my room to keep me warm at night.

600w maxibright ballast but I've bought a brand new sun master 400w bulb which I'm about to go fit.

intake is passive - 5" ducting through door of cupboard taped below slightly open bedroom window, sound ands looks terrible, totally does the job,

The cupboard isn't quite light tight, but I'm running autos and they'll be on 24 hrs. no sleep 'til their dead.

so I bought 18 Litre pots. the girls all had tap roots showing out the bottom of the cubes so they're in...

i filled each pot with Plant magic soil, i really fluffed it up by hand, like a crumble mix sort of thing. and as it was a new bag it was actually fairly moist so I made a little hole and pooped each girl in the centre and carefully watered each sponge with a mix of 1ml to a litre of nytrozme. and covered them over.

I used to water the pots first but on my last attempt i just forgot.. and i left them to get on with it and they seemed to like that and rooted out quite quickly - i didn't water for about 10 days so I'm retrying that to see what happens. If the go droopy ill give water but i think they've got quite a lot of moisture in that soil.

After their first watering Ill retop up the soil as it always settles, and apply a top coat of natnix which is a product made from ground glass that stops the life cycle of gnats by shredding them. but primarily I'm thinking it will be a good top dressing to aid with more even watering and less disturbance of the soil. maybe.

The light is on 250w to start. and right up the top of the grow room. as each day passes it will be lowered considerably and eventually turned up to the full 400w. this is just how i do it, I'm not sure its right :)

ETA> Just popped a new sticky sheet in there to catch gnats, stick in my hair and generally piss me off.

Last grow the body count on the sheet was only 4 gnats so I'm pretty confident its just there incase.

Edited by Kiminal
  • Like 9

You know, I hope everybody does well, but I hope you do really, really well!

Good luck and all the best.

Is that natnix "diatomaceous earth"? In either case, as you water, it might settle into the soil itself and need replenishing.

Edited by KayDog
  • Like 3