Garage growroom

4plenty

So it begins... :idea:

I have been busy the last few weeks, preparing to build my room within a room in my cold unattached garage, first I had to remove years of clutter that accumulates down in the corner of the garage, this involved 3 trips to the dump and getting rid of loads of crap, we got to this position.

Corner

So its a bit damp and we are dealing with cracked holey walls but they are thick, around 450mm thick stone walls.

Next thing was a trip to the local DIY to procure some 3x2 CLS and sheets of 18mm OSB, I fixed the CLS to the wall, this was a test for my rusty DIY skills but we got there.

Rsz 20160312 123205

They are fixed good and solid, so it was time to put up the OSB and build out the corner

Rsz 20160312 134325

I then built two more sides of the room leaving what will be the front open ready to fix the door. The room internals once insulated will be roughly a square metre and 2m high.

Rsz 20160312 144801

That was as far as I got yesterday so jobs to be done this week are fitting the front panels and door then next weekend I will fit the top/bottom and insulate the inside with celotex.

The plan is to build a box of OSB then insulate all six sides with celotex, I am starting to make my head hurt wondering how I am going to run cables through and ducting in/out.

Another thing is planning on allowing the lighting and fan/filter to be hung from the yet to be built ceiling. Aaarghhh my head hurts :fear:

Any tips? I have read almost every journal and build on here and built my knowledge by sponging other peoples ideas :oldtoker:

I will update this as we go but I am looking for input from the community.

• Like 10

@@4plenty

I've built a couple of rooms and the main thing to remember imo, is that you will need access to the plants and equipment right through the grow, so make sure you allow for that

otherwise looking good mate, pulling up a chair... :yep:

atb

stu :oldtoker:

• Like 4

Hey @@4plenty

Looks like a great little project you got going on there. Just building another groom in the loft myself - Great fun :)

I'm not an expert on insulation or heat exchange. But with a big, cold stone floor like that I'd want to make the bottom extra insulated. I would probably think about putting some wood across the floor to raise it up and create an air gap and then insulate the shit out of it. You'd lose a bit of height, but would be worth it not having a huge heat sink underneath your pots. In terms of the height you lose though, it looks like you could probably steal a little more from the top anyway?

• Like 5

Nothing like a self build. Good luck with it, have a look in my garage goodies sig to see if there is any ideas you can use.

• Like 1

My cellar is usually 80%RH and I've had timber and mdf stored down there for up to 10 years with no rot. Different story for anything electrical though. Unused electricals can die quick down there. Having air pumped out helps too. Still damp with the fans running but no musty smell.

Ducting steals airflow. Use as little as possible and as large a diameter as is practical for you. If there HAS to be a right angle, get a proper 90 degree elbow for that bend.

• Like 1

are you not worried about the cls wood rotting away because of the dampness coming thu......

Not anything I'm overly worried about to be honest, it is not damp damp just a wee bit cold if that makes sense. Hopefully the CLS will be good for many crops to come. :lookaround:

Thanks all for looking in on my little grow. :eek:

Build looks great so far man! Love grow room building threads :)

For the top stick a bit of that CLS across the centre (width to the vertical) before you board it and jo done for having something to hang the lamp off etc ;)

• Like 2

I did some shopping today. Brought home a pack of 60mm celotex ready to line the inside of this box, questions to those in the know.

What, if any prep should I do to the osb? And do you think no nails will hold it to osb? If not I will screw through with some wood screws and a washer to stop the head from sinking through the insulation.

I will build out a timber floor and use some insulation there too. A cavity under the insulation us a good idea? If true I guess the same is true at the top. And sides? Would it be worth building a cavity?

Hopefully get it insulated on three sides and get a good start on getting the door frame and facia up too. I'm loving this build. Can't wait to taste the fruit. Thank you all.

@@4plenty I stuck my insulation batons on to my concrete sectional wall with a no nails type of adhesive and they held no problem, I stuck loft insulation foil roll on top of that with the same stuff, but how it works in the long run I don't know as I then studded and plaster boarded on top of it locking it in in case it did ever fall off, I'm pretty certain it will do the job though, If you cut your insulation tight it will help lock themselves in place.

I just put insulation batons straight on the floor with no cavity, my garage is completely dry though, looking at your pics the floor looks damp? If it is I'd line it with some plastic and just stick the insulation on top of that.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Instead of a cavity under the insulation, those foam slabs from the builders merchants are cheap enough. 8 foot by 4 and usually 2" thick.

• Like 2