autodog 3: Frisian duck + autos

gallery_96585_12486_156852.jpg

@@autodog you are gonna LOVE the Colorado Cookie. It's my favourite smoke,,,,, no sneaky puffs mind you..... let it cure the full 4 weeks before you have any.... it just gets better and better the longer you leave it, the smells and tastes are really complex.

Keep up the good work Bro!

Hi Tee, great preview ! Leaving it 4 weeks will be a challenge. The Auto Blackberry Kush is a very popular smoke in da house at the mo.

If Tony said it contained real blackberry genetics it would sound plausable. Very rich fruity smoke, lovely dark grindings. Warm and cosy.

Daytime, the auto Durban smoke for me. I like this one. I can concentrate on work quite well on this and feel motivated while feeling high. This is a breakthrough to find a good smoke for industry.

Time to roll another. Work can wait !

Thanks dude happy trails.

Yeah i have to say i am looking for a regrow on the C Cookies...all 3 new DP varieties i did this summer are awesome!!

Hi 912 cool. Some love for the auto Cookie. I only cracked one seed to grow my plant. I bought a pack as soon as I heard about them last winter when I got the Ducks. I want to grow the Dacquiri Lime and Brooklyn Sunrise too this winter when I whack the lights on to 24 hour warmth in November or December. I love the names of lots of the Dutch and American cannabis varieties, lists are poetic.

Hope your harvest goes well

@@autodog. Hi mate, good diary.

can you tell me do you keep the autos in those 6 litre air pots for the whole grow?

i'm about to start my first auto grow and have some of those 6 litre pots hanging around.

and i noticed you pulling over the main stem of the autos with a bit of LST. do you flatten the whole canopy or just the main stem?

I'm into a bit of LST but i've never done autos so dont know how they would respond.

I've done some of the straight ducksfeet a few years ago and the leaves were good stealth but the smell was pretty potent so stealth only worked when they were downwind.

cheers

Edited by slicker1

you're gonna love the Daiquiri Lime as well then, may even become your new daytime smoke ;) you'll certainly get plenty out of her!

I agree with you on the Blackberry Kush - rich, fruity warm and cosy

Edited by teehee

Hi @@slicker1, thanks for dropping in.

The 6l airpot is a good all rounder. Indoors I've used them to finish for autos that yielded 90g+. I also used 6l airpots to veg outdoor autos for up to day 28 but will use smaller, non air pots for outdoors in future. Too big plus a slug trap for outside vegging.

With my efforts the 10 litre airpot yields up to 140g under lights but others do better.

I use what's lying around. I sometimes pot up from 6l to 10 or 15litres at about 4 weeks if needs change. I've seen @@teehee do this and others but the general advice is not to pot up autos.

Re training autos, yes always.

I soak the seed and plant into a 3" starter pot. After a week's growth, into final airpot. I always tie a wire band around the top of the airpot to secure the dog tag and training wire ends. This allows branches to be rotated evenly as the plant takes shape.

The first wire, the anchor, goes around the base of the stalk and is tucked into the band, a radius line.

The 2nd wire pulls the stalk back from say the 2nd node. From above, a diameter line. Just try not to snap them. Even if you do, the plants never look too bothered about it or noticeably affect the final yield.

Over the next few weeks I train branches which emerge as a result of lst into an open plant shape with main buds on the outside edge of the pot and let smaller buds grow in the space in the middle of the plant.

I also train the leading head branch around the edge of the pot as flowering continues depending on the plant shape, size and available space. Sounds like you've done this with regs so will have no probs with the autos.

Re the Duck smell, the new variety are low odour in my garden.

What autos are you planning to start with ?

you're gonna love the Daiquiri Lime as well then, may even become your new daytime smoke ;) you'll certainly get plenty out of her!

I agree with you on the Blackberry Kush - rich, fruity warm and cosy

Cool Bro ! Haha aint gettin much work done this morning ;-)

@@autodog

i've got 5 northern lights, fem, autos by sensi that i bought from herbies. they should be popping their heads up any day now.

i plan to put em straight into the 6 lt air pots and under a 400 watt in my new robe set up.

when i've got something to show i'll start a diary.

the grow will be pretty boring for most people.

i dont plan anything fancy just organic potting mix, water and nutes, when they need it.

and a little LST just as you described above.

I'm trying to get a crop in before Christmas and autos seemed the best bet.

gallery_96585_12486_156852.jpg

Hi Tee, great preview ! Leaving it 4 weeks will be a challenge. The Auto Blackberry Kush is a very popular smoke in da house at the mo.

If Tony said it contained real blackberry genetics it would sound plausable. Very rich fruity smoke, lovely dark grindings. Warm and cosy.

Daytime, the auto Durban smoke for me. I like this one. I can concentrate on work quite well on this and feel motivated while feeling high. This is a breakthrough to find a good smoke for industry.

Time to roll another. Work can wait !

Thanks dude happy trails.

Hi 912 cool. Some love for the auto Cookie. I only cracked one seed to grow my plant. I bought a pack as soon as I heard about them last winter when I got the Ducks. I want to grow the Dacquiri Lime and Brooklyn Sunrise too this winter when I whack the lights on to 24 hour warmth in November or December. I love the names of lots of the Dutch and American cannabis varieties, lists are poetic.

Hope your harvest goes well

Ive said it before and i'll say it again...Brooklyn Sunrise favorite auto of the season...super stinky, and excellent social uphigh. Very nice. I bet the daiquiri done indoors would be magnificent.

The Brooklyn Sunrise, Daiquiri Lime will be first in my next indoor grow + another auto Colorado Cookie to complete the set of new DP American style autos @@912GreenSkell, @@teehee, thanks for the recommend.

The last of my outdoor autos this summer, felt a bit sad to see them go. The auto Colorado Cookie lives on. Sunny again. But she's been an indoor/outdoor plant and no guerillera. I noticed a spot of mould on one of the auto Mazars yesterday for a 2nd day so I decided to crop them both.

Most buds were browned but I harvested some lower buds which still had white hairs. All good and very little mould.

I haven't shown these much or the auto Euforia mainly cos they had lots of aphid nibbled leaves. This didn't affect flowering I think, not quite sure.

The Mazas look like half ounce plants. I guess my auto yields wont break records, but the regular crops are so rewarding and interesting and fun to always have something to look forward to the whole summer. Have filled a few small and medium jars of various meds different colours flavours effects

The auto Euforia has given me 4.5g dry. I would not swap it for 4.5 oz of anything else ! My smallest but most precious outdoor auto. The only one to grow, one of 3 seeds which I planted. Apart from this, every one of my DP outdoor auto seeds has reached maturity, bar 2 which were reached by massive slug attack at 24 days.

I'm guessing autos have long surpassed fems for sales at the seed companies for outdoor growers.

gallery_96585_12486_155257.jpg

@@autodog

i've got 5 northern lights, fem, autos by sensi that i bought from herbies. they should be popping their heads up any day now.

i plan to put em straight into the 6 lt air pots and under a 400 watt in my new robe set up.

when i've got something to show i'll start a diary.

the grow will be pretty boring for most people.

i dont plan anything fancy just organic potting mix, water and nutes, when they need it.

and a little LST just as you described above.

I'm trying to get a crop in before Christmas and autos seemed the best bet.

Slicker your timing for Christmas and your setup all sounds spot on.

I like your post. It kind of brings my diary back to where my growing adventure started nearly a year ago when I ordered some Sensi Seeds Northern Light autos. The shop person supplied me auto NL seeds but from Green House Seeds instead of Sensi but I decided to accept them anyway.

I popped the seeds to germ them and then spent a few days building my groom and spending dosh on lights and vents.

10 weeks later I had a big crop of the best bud I had ever smoked. I massively under nuted to start with but all went well. Soon found out that autos need a little calmag, 0.7 mil/litre per feed, though my photo plants don't.

Look forward to your diary. I reckon many on here like to see straightforward methods, simple is best for me too.

gallery_96585_13372_109066.jpg

Welcome to my new indoor grow. For me it's ambitious. My 2nd 12/12 grow following success with my subbie seeds.

This grow is now about 2 weeks into 12/12 and flowering has started.

5 well vegged plants:

4 x Dutch Passion. Think Fast, The Edge, Blueberry, Forest Dream (clone from outdoor mother)

1 x Ugorg Blues

1 x less vegged Forest Dream

1x The Edge

2 x Blues

Five of the plants are from cuttings taken from selected mothers.

All in Jacks Magic compo, all the same feed Canna Terra, 3.5mils per litre. One wet day, one dry day. The smaller plants on slightly different regime. I use a shelf and stands for the smaller plants to level the canopy and tie down the monsters, the Edge and Think Fast.

None have shown any probs. The small Blues plants look pale though and might have got cold.

gallery_96585_13372_385859.jpg

Underground Originals. This extraordinary seed company is probably unique because they have an organised breeding programme

that has grown and evolved from decades in the UK underground scene under conditions of sometimes severe repression and continuing prohibition. Other UK breeders have decamped to Spain for seed production, but Ugorg appear to have a tight crew of cyber growers to do the leg work.

I'm growing the Blues in tribute to the UK underground, to uk420 and the work of @oldtimer1and team.

I popped 3 seeds hoping for at least one boy. All 3 made it.. At day 38 I found one female.

At day 43 seeing no sign of fem in the remaining 2, I chopped them back small to save space, thinking they were boys.

Turned out to be all girls! The quicker early fem has a clone mother for future grows

gallery_96585_13372_114710.jpg

The Edge has been my favourite plant in the new grow so far.It's very big with great presence and very beautiful. 75/25 sat/indica.

Only popped one seed. I now have a mother and clones from this majestic skunk plant. Is this one of Henk's @@DutchPassionTony ?

gallery_96585_12486_116978.jpg

The auto Cookie is drying. Here she is mostly cropped and showing the outdoor auto training technique I evolved this summer. The scissors collected a mass of hash trimming this and the drying buds stink of weed, more than any variety I have cropped so far. Very promising. At the mo I have outdoor grown autos curing but not sampled : Mazar, Euphoria, Cookie. Its hard not to try them. I find the fresh bud quite similar and I'm going to givr them all a 4 week cure to try and separate the flavours and feel of each one.

gallery_96585_12486_7883.jpg

Above shot of the remains of my indoor/outdoor 15l auto Colorado Cookie. The pot is quite well rooted out but I'm going to try some outdoor autos in 10l pots next time, 15l maybe too big for the size of most of my outdoor autos.

gallery_96585_13372_332234.jpg

This is an original April 1st Duck, the greenest pheno of the 3 early birds. Loads of heads. I had to stand on a chair to shoot this. Nice smoke!

gallery_96585_12486_396010.jpg

Frisian Ducks in the landscape. They don't stand out even in flower. Not many people would recognise this as a cannabis plant.

gallery_96585_12486_61507.jpg

I hatched the Ducks way back in February to gain an advantage with an early start. I've discovered that this hasn't really worked out to plan. The plants which went out in May have the advantage over the April plants. The photo period plants all seemed to flower about the same time whenever they were planted out.

I'll start later next time.

So today is a big day because I am smoking home grown Duck and 2 more weeks of sun would finish them nicely. It's been a long run but the harvest is near. Sweet uncured smoke, it's working!

• Like 1

Think fast...hold on buddy!! If yours is like mine in regards to potency, be sure to wear your hat, so when your brain explodes out the top of you head, you don't get any on the floor. :)

OH man...i cant wait to try euphoria now, and i am crossing my fingers that the durban poison photo i have growing has the exact buzz you describe!

Cool, the Think Fast sure is a nice big plant indoors. Great to know it packs a punch !

Yeah the auto Durban is getting more character as it cures. Mrs D didn't like the effect at first. Now it's her jar of choice for after work smoke. I'm starting to find it too strong for day work so I'll be switching to wind fall Duck bud tomorrow, a bit drying now.

We use about 5 different jars atm, use different smokes to suit the time of day etc. Freakin great !!

The autoColorado Cookie is nearly dry, mingin well.

@autodogAuto Durban is my missus's favourite for the vape. I have grown auto Mazer last year and got a good crop in GH nice big buds but gets too tall and needed to be tied back. Looking at my green duck I can see flecks of purple there but mainly green. I planted mine at start of may and they when out at the start of june. They are photo plants so won't start flowering till end of august no matter when you plant them. I reckon its 3 weeks to go till they are done on lat 51. Last feed will be early october then its time to flush them up to harvest. Cant wait.

gallery_96585_13372_394705.jpg

This my new indoor grow, Blue Forest Blues.

day 14 of 12/12.

Altogether, 9 plants in 5 and 6 litre pots, some big, some not depending on time vegged. The space is filling up.

The early stretch of The Edge and the Think Fast was spectacular to see. for someone more used to growing indica type autos under lights than sativa dom photo period plants, great stuff. You can really wrestle with these mothers.

gallery_96585_13372_415478.jpg

I've been growing the Dream outdoors all summer. It's sativa dom hybrid, a new strain I think for 2016. Outdoors it's not so heavily budded as the Ducks but a nice plant. I want to try an indoor grow of this simply because it gets such a good smoke review from the guys that grew it first. We'll soon find out if it's good pot. About 10 weeks with a short cure.

The cuts root fast. There is a big Dream, shown, plus a smaller clone that I put into flower early. Sometimes the small plants are good for tucking under the vertical 600w hps bulb where bigger plants would burn.

gallery_96585_13372_192226.jpg

Aint she a beaut !

The Blueberry is an absolute classic strain that was lovingly developed over years by the legendary master grower, Dan Shorts. Loads of people have used this to make their own hybrids. I was drawn to grow this after I started smoking the SweetTooth, which is one such hybrid I grew from subbie seeds by @@bill cooper.

My Blueberry has been grown from 1 seed only so like the Think Fast, and The Edge which I'm also growing I can't generalise too much about the strains. Packets of seed contain variation sometimes.

Anyhow, the Blueberry has an Indica look, medium size, been topped, some training.

Hasn't complained till now. Both the Ug Blues and the Blueberry have told me with a droopy look that they expect to be watered every day instead of every 2nd day. So I'll be watering every day. Will go for 10l pots in future to get a day off watering for longer.

The Edge looked hungry so I've put the feed up to 4mils/litre Canna Terra Flores for all the plants. Measured 1.2 ec

Sorry about the light in the pics. It's hard to get nice shots now I've lost the day light.

Outdoor stuff. Its gone grey and colder but all well.

My green(est) Duck has purpling buds but the sugar leaves are still green @@madgraham. I think this one has bigger and more buds than the more purple phenos.

So I've taken cuttings from it 2 weeks ago. I didn't think the cuts would take cos the plant was in full flower. Yesterday I chucked the cuts on the compost heap thinkin it was awaste of time, but then I saw they'd rooted ! Brought them back in to see if I can reveg them over the winter. Really, this will be my main challenge through the winter.

To see if I can keep my small but growing stock of clones and mothers alive.

I planted mine at start of may and they when out at the start of june. They are photo plants so won't start flowering till end of august no matter when you plant them. I reckon its 3 weeks to go till they are done on lat 51. Last feed will be early october then its time to flush them up to harvest. Cant wait.

Cool thanks for explaining the timing. I'll probs follow your example next time. I sometimes jump in and start things without knowing much, and learn on the journey. The 3 plants I started in feb are proper old dames now which I have grown for about 10 weeks longer than I needed to ! The time wasn't all wasted though and the early plant out has been a good lesson. I got to know my Ducks well and learned how to propagate from cuts and grow them on for May and beyond.

@@autodog I'm not sure you will be able to keep them vegging over winter without a long light cycle. Now I have heard that some strains when mucked about with like this can become unfeminized so you will have to check the nodes, the last thing you want is male plants unless you want seeds.As for early planting all that will do is give the plant a longer season in veg and a bigger plant. mine are all between 3 ft to 5 ft but have been candlarbored back in july. I can't have then growing too high otherwise they become visible. The green ones do seem to have more dense buds not so many tricones on them but that might change. This is just my observation tho.

• Like 1