Warm exhaust air and getting caught

easyone

Does anyone else worry about the warm air being constantly blown from there grow room ?

Mine goes up the chimney but I still worry that it can be seen from the eye in the sky, they come over my place quite a lot.

Has anyone tried cooling there exhaust so it is the same temp as outside ?

• Like 1

I personally think your chimney would look strange if anything but 'hot' was coming from it, they are after all used to vent smoke from fires :)

• Like 11

If you've got a good air/ventilation and 0-1000W grow light set up you should be fine, just think of how hot your house gets when you turn on the radiators etc.

• Like 2

It's the constant stream of warm air that worry me, I was watching one of those police chase programs and was surprised to see how much there infra red cameras can see.

• Like 1

It's the constant stream of warm air that worry me, I was watching one of those police chase programs and was surprised to see how much there infra red cameras can see.

You growing in a van? Don't worry about it, chimneys are meant to be hot IIRC. Edited by greatwhiteshark
  • Like 2

Hi, This is a post that I recently put up for somebody else so some of the content may not be relevant so have a look through and pick out what's useful to you.

Hi, I'll just give you a few pointers that will help you to be covert
1.) Run your daylight hours through over Night time. For example for your 18 hours stretch a good time to start your time clock is 8pm and turn off at 2pm and for your 12 hour stretch will be from 8pm to 8am. There are few good reasons for this and these are:
a) Running your daylight hours through the night time period will help with temperature control as the outside climate is naturally cooler during this time (basically you will be pulling in naturally cooled air)
b) Running your daylight hours over night is a lot more covert than running over the day time period. If you were to run your daylight hours through daytime hours your extractor will be pulling so much heat and smell out (Even with the best carbon filter) that it's more noticeable to jo public. Remember it's more expensive for the law to fly helicopters at night so you cut down the risk of being caught out with thermal imaging cameras
c) Although your 18 hour stint cuts into normal daylight hours you will be in veg and as long as the plants aren't stressed you'll get very little smell. The other good thing about these times i.e 8pm you don't really get that many unknown visitors after that time and when your into your smelliest 8 hour stint your lights will be off by 8am before the postman or dustman turns up.
2) leave your outlet fan running full power continually (even with the lights turned off) and turn off your inlet when the lights go off. This will ensure that your room is kept in negative pressure and will help to stop smell leaking from your room into your house during the daytime period. This fan will also pull sufficient air into your room via the inlet fan if your room is well sealed.
My advice is to have a bigger carbon filter and outlet fan than the inlet fan. Lucky for you that from now the weather can only get worse so even your small inlet fan will soon be pulling in freezing cold air which will be sufficient for now to cool your room (be warned this luck will run out in sometime in the new year) If we do experience freezing conditions over the next two to three months I would advise to you to get a cooling thermostat for your inlet fan, these can be purchased from ebay for around £20 they are called Celect cooling thermostats. Plug this into a socket mid way into the room and set the temperature that you don't want to go above and then just plug your fan into that. Your fan will only cut in to cool down to the set temperature.
Hope this has given you food for thought
Kind Regards
English Oak
  • Like 9

The method being used is by far the best way but you can still get changes in wind direction that can bring an oder back down to street level. I try to do everything possible to minimise risk. His original post also states that he's worried about the eye in the sky and in my post I also give a mention that the law avoids unnecessary flying of helicopters at night because of expense

Regards

English Oak

• Like 1

The method being used is by far the best way but you can still get changes in wind direction that can bring an oder back down to street level. I try to do everything possible to minimise risk. His original post also states that he's worried about the eye in the sky and in my post I also give a mention that the law avoids unnecessary flying of helicopters at night because of expense

Regards

English Oak

If your carbon filter still let's 'smell' through, it's not working correctly. With the right size of filter and fan, nothing should be coming through :yep:

• Like 1

I agree totally, but how often do people change their filters unless they really need to. They all have a life expectancy but most people wouldn't change them until it's too late. I still think running lighting hours over natural night time period is safer than doing it through the day.

Regards

English Oak

Edited by English Oak
  • Like 1

I agree totally, but how often do people change their filters unless they really need to. They all have a life expectancy but most people wouldn't change them until it's too late.

I dont think thats true i think most people on here change their filters prematurely

• Like 10

Even still, you can have one of the best filters on the market all fitted and running correctly and still get the odd smell coming through. I've been around for over 20 years and by using my methods and experience in running and building rooms with this ventilation I've never had any problems whatsoever. There's also people out there that have got noses like bloodhounds to be aware of

Kind regards

English Oak

Edited by English Oak
  • Like 1