The All Important Environment

Owderb

Anybody seen the plug and play, propagation bed heater. Coil on a cable. Useful...seen it in garden centre.?.

• 5 months later...

Environment being the key with todays rising temps

What are you all doing to keep things tickety boo ?

Indoor i am pretty all singing and dancing and able to combat these conditions ..but at a cost

Pre - digital ballasts it was challenging but achievable

A friend of mine never struggled with a very basic set up ..i was envious being i had a/c chillers etc

When i finally asked the secret ?? The answer was simple " do twice what i need and close down around june till september " then go travelling and get going again with a new mother from you "

The simplest explanations are often the ones i never think of

So...any £££ budget friendlie ideas out there for the battle against soaring temps ?

Love

Arthur

• Like 1

I went ott with an 8inch rvk extraction, 6 inch inline for intake in a 1.2x1.2x2.0 tent, now im glad I did day temps atm during this heatwave are 26.5c day and night 23c, so coping really well.

• Like 1

When I first started I made a lot of mistakes back in 04 I had so called friends who classed there self as amazing growers, but they don't want to give up there secrets to a newbie when I asked them for advise. Every thing I learnt was trial and error and I wouldn't have it any other way because you've got to find what works for you. I was always told Hydroponics was hard don't do that, soak the soil when you Walter your soil plants till you get a run every time off blah blah blah. NO feed your soil plants little and often and get oxygen to the roots and watch your plant grow faster and yield more was the answer they should of give me. I used to wait months to get cuttings and told "veg um for two weeks and flick them into flower you'll get 3 z's "lol Don't get me wrong you do need to check run of sometime to check root zone PH,but I learnt that through mistake and had slow growing plants that I used to pull of 1 ounce to a ounce half of which is just poor. I used to grow 20 plants with 4 600w's and I can get that same yield of 8 plants now in NFT with a good cutting and 2 600w's One of the most important foods hands down for your plants is not canna boost and all these £70 bottles of feed but the light they receive from the bulb is everything and the way your plants are trained to receive it. And your environment is kept in the happy spot for the plant, which is sometimes not going to be perfect as we all now. I wish I had a forum to go on like this to ask questions when I started all them years ago.

• Like 4

All good in my tiny space, just 32c at the canopy yesterday though I expected higher, also got a cooltube on the way though its looking like I won't need it unless things get stupidly hot. Will likely cease growing until sept/oct after this run as I have gas man due round then for boiler checks along with a new carbon monoxide detector to be fitted, once that's done another run for an early Christmas harvest then a few weeks off until the first grow of the new year for me I think.

I got a biogreen mat after low temps hurt my Jan-Apr grow. It kicks root temps up by about 5C from ambient, but pretty gradually (plastic pots insulate reasonably well.) I haven't got it on a thermostat, instead I have it on a timer and do my best to keep it dialled in right, on the assumption that the roots will be a wee bit cooler than ambient temps. It's not a great solution, but it was easy & quick to implement. Of course it's off at the mo because it's too bloody hot everywhere. :) but somehow the drobe is staying a comfy 26C ambient.

Btw- make sure your water is at or around the root zone temp- especially important when hand watering! Cold tap water at ours comes out well below the comfort zone, at about 14-16C.

• 2 years later...

Great article in the OP, read it twice now just to remind myself of the rules we have to adhere to re environment.

One tip I'd add is to cover up your pots if growing organic. This helps retain moisture and helps the roots not to get too hot in the summer.

I use reflective material cut to a square and stuck onto some cardboard. I cut a thin strip and pop a hole for the main stalk. Helps give lower bud some more light and you will water a bit less also.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Probably a daft question, but how do you use vents on a tent without light getting in? I,m thinking of a 1m2 tent with a 5/inch extractor and passive intake I think.

get a large cardboard box, some black cooker hood material & a sharp stanley blade then cut out a light blocker for the passive vent. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sweepy said:

Probably a daft question, but how do you use vents on a tent without light getting in?

You make sure the room the tent is in is pitch black.

or the above its called a light baffle if you have the space for it.

• 10 months later...
On 3/1/2018 at 5:37 PM, MyDisplayName2000 said:

Great article in the OP, read it twice now just to remind myself of the rules we have to adhere to re environment.

One tip I'd add is to cover up your pots if growing organic. This helps retain moisture and helps the roots not to get too hot in the summer.

I use reflective material cut to a square and stuck onto some cardboard. I cut a thin strip and pop a hole for the main stalk. Helps give lower bud some more light and you will water a bit less also.

I know it's an old post, but fantastic idea.  I'll start measuring cardboard.  I have some mylar and the white reflecting material.    

• 8 months later...

Got humidity problems when lights out jumping from 60 to 90/99% only 2 plants in small 50x50x100cm inside wardrobe cant keep extractor on have fan running but think i may need dehumidifier but unsure any advice would be good as I've been on pages n pages almost bought dehumidifier today but that unsure if would help